What's new

Ocean Kelp

Item Description

Happened to be in mid-town Manhattan and stopped in the Madison Avenue AoS store to see if they had this new Ocean Kelp cream in stock. Got it.

My favorite creams are T&H (and of course the ultra expensive Penhaligon) but at $30 a pop, not cheap. IMHO, while most products at AoS are overpriced, their creams are a real value, from both quality and price points of view.

Now to the Ocean Kelp. Tried it first time this morning, with a Futur and Astra platinum. Without too much cream, it burst into a very smooth, well covering cream. Thick but smoothed. Liked that it held the warmth from the hot water on the brush for quite awhile. The scent is mild, a little like a milder version of ToOBS Eton College. Very nice.

Definitely glad I spent the $22 for this. It is a winner.

Latest reviews

Pros: Easy to use, fast
Cons: overpriced, watered down, chemical fragrance, irritation
I tried this product once and that will be the last time. A jar is $25 and at the amount needed to get a good lather I'd have to estimate that it wouldn't be long to have to replace it. It was impossible to get a thin slick coating with any consistency. Many list members say that the new product has been watered down after AOS was purchased by a conglomerate and so profit margins might have interfered with basic business ethics. There are plenty of products out there which are either boutique priced and worth it or reasonably priced and better. The worst part about this product is that it left my skin irritated and my skin is usually not so sensitive. I can't remember which fragrance I tried but I've looked over all of them (sandlewood, lemon, sea kelp, etc) and it smelled like nothing on the list. In fact the smell stayed with me for hours, and the only thing I can say is that it reminded me of the most synthetic, phony smell I can ever remember and reminiscent of the cheapest dime store aftershave from the 60's. I think AOS shaving products have a unimpressive, cheap and common ingredient list, and we should generally flock to companies with the highest standards and stay away from corporate pretenders.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Very (Very!) small amount produces a lot of very nice lather. I don't like overwhelming scents and the lightness of the Ocean Kelp is perfect for me. It gave me a very slick base for my shave and I got no irritation.
Cons: Cost, although for how little you need it should last a very long time.
Very good cream, lathers quickly and is very slick. I used about a pea sized amount on my finger and wiped it in the center of my brush. After about 3 or 4 turns with the brush I had enough creamy lather to do a 3 pass shave and my wife did 2 passes on the back of my neck. I do have a goatee and mustache, so take that into account. The smell is pleasant, but not overpowering. I wasn't expecting to spend $25 on a shave cream, but I'm happy I did.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Great feel, really nice scent
Cons: none
With a scent name like Ocean Kelp you expect the scent to be light and fresh, and it is. To my nose this seems more neroli than kelp. It is easy to lather and feels great! Perfect to get a nice close shave.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)