What's new

Ocean Kelp

Pros: Easy to use, fast
Cons: overpriced, watered down, chemical fragrance, irritation
I tried this product once and that will be the last time. A jar is $25 and at the amount needed to get a good lather I'd have to estimate that it wouldn't be long to have to replace it. It was impossible to get a thin slick coating with any consistency. Many list members say that the new product has been watered down after AOS was purchased by a conglomerate and so profit margins might have interfered with basic business ethics. There are plenty of products out there which are either boutique priced and worth it or reasonably priced and better. The worst part about this product is that it left my skin irritated and my skin is usually not so sensitive. I can't remember which fragrance I tried but I've looked over all of them (sandlewood, lemon, sea kelp, etc) and it smelled like nothing on the list. In fact the smell stayed with me for hours, and the only thing I can say is that it reminded me of the most synthetic, phony smell I can ever remember and reminiscent of the cheapest dime store aftershave from the 60's. I think AOS shaving products have a unimpressive, cheap and common ingredient list, and we should generally flock to companies with the highest standards and stay away from corporate pretenders.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Very (Very!) small amount produces a lot of very nice lather. I don't like overwhelming scents and the lightness of the Ocean Kelp is perfect for me. It gave me a very slick base for my shave and I got no irritation.
Cons: Cost, although for how little you need it should last a very long time.
Very good cream, lathers quickly and is very slick. I used about a pea sized amount on my finger and wiped it in the center of my brush. After about 3 or 4 turns with the brush I had enough creamy lather to do a 3 pass shave and my wife did 2 passes on the back of my neck. I do have a goatee and mustache, so take that into account. The smell is pleasant, but not overpowering. I wasn't expecting to spend $25 on a shave cream, but I'm happy I did.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Great feel, really nice scent
Cons: none
With a scent name like Ocean Kelp you expect the scent to be light and fresh, and it is. To my nose this seems more neroli than kelp. It is easy to lather and feels great! Perfect to get a nice close shave.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Quality, Efficacy, Cushion, Slickness
Cons: Packaging, Scent
I purchased this as a set (with the pre-shave gel and AS balm) blindly before most of the reviews were out, so I took a little bit of a gamble. I was actually looking forward to a nice ocean scent that reminded me of being on the beach as a kid. I was disappointed with the scent, but the same great AoS quality is in this product and I really enjoy it for what it is.

Price: AoS products are always a little more than others, but they also perform better than most.

Quality: To me, this cream ranks above TOBS and Trumpers and is on the same level as DR Harris and Truefitt and Hill.

Scent: This is where I was disappointed. There's no ocean or kelp scent. Just a very light citrus scent that can really only be appreciated in the tub. In the tub, it smells like a lighter version of DR Harris Arlington. However, when judging its scent, you should think of this as a lightly-scented unscented cream. The AS and pre-shave gel are similar. Not exactly matching, but close, and they compliment each other well. The scent is practically undetectable after a few minutes. This might be perfect for work environments that restrict the use of aftershaves or colognes.

Latherability: The cream is very light and (for lack of a better word) creamy. It's very easy to overload your brush. This is also a very forgiving cream, so it works well as a very thick cream and, if you prefer, you can add more water and whip it more to create a lighter lather. I like to face lather and prefer my lather dense, and AoS complies with my wishes. However, if using a larger brush, don't expect to get more than 3 weeks of use.

Efficacy: It's a typical AoS cream. It provides lots of slickness and great cushion and protects the face well during a shave without any EO/FO irritation. Afterwards (especially paired with the AS balm) it leaves your skin feeling well moisturized without feeling greasy or over moisturized. To me, it strikes the perfect balance. Despite its scent, don't be afraid to use this in cold weather.

Packaging: It's a standard black tub. The reason I gave it a 7 is because I feel the scent label is misleading and there is no ingredients list.

Overall, this is a great cream. Paired with the pre-shave gel and the AS balm, your face will feel soft and protected without any razor burn or irritation.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Very smooth, holds the warmth
Cons: scent is a little mild
Happened to be in mid-town Manhattan and stopped in the Madison Avenue AoS store to see if they had this new Ocean Kelp cream in stock. Got it. My favorite creams are T&H (and of course the ultra expensive Penhaligon) but at $30 a pop, not cheap. IMHO, while most products at AoS are overpriced, their creams are a real value, from both quality and price points of view. Now to the Ocean Kelp. Tried it first time this morning, with a Futur and Astra platinum. Without too much cream, it burst into a very smooth, well covering cream (And I'm located in central TX where we have very hard water). Thick but smooth. Liked that it held the warmth from the hot water on the brush for quite awhile. The scent is mild, a little like a milder version of ToOBS Eton College. Very nice. Definitely glad I spent the $22 for this. It is a winner.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)