What's new

Merkur Platinum Double Edge Blades

Got these in a sampler pack. One of the worst blades I have ever tried. Like shaving with the blunt end of an axe. Very dull. Not at all smooth. Tried a few blades to make sure I didn't have a bad blade. No. They were fine...just horrible. Can't see why they are still in business. I guess they're just not for me. Nice pack though. Too bad it's wasted on these "blades."
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
0.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
I have tried at least ten brands of blades in multiple razors and Merkur by far is the worst blade. The irony is that it is so expensive.

Favorite blades are Personna (Red Pack), Astra SP and Bic CP.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
Fist time I bought Merkur razor I readied it with a Merkur razor blade and went to work -- on the first stroke I was wondering what is wrong here is this razor broke ?

I could not believe the shave. I had some Derby blades that were sent along with the razor so I tried one and was astounded .

I was astounded not at how good the Derby was but how bad the Merkur blade was.

YMMV is very prevalent with razor blades but it seems I am not alone in my disappointment of Merkur blades
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
1.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
I shave with a Merkur 33c. I thought that these blades would be great seeing as they were from the same manufacturer... I couldn't have been more wrong. The only thing I like about these blades is the plastic box they come in. They don't seem sharp, and they require more passes than other blades at better prices than these. I will not be purchasing these in the future.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
I had a package in my shaving-drawer, and actually I wondered why I never used one of theese blades.

I tried one, and now I know why I don't use Merkur-blades...:bored:

As good razors, Merkur is making, just as poor are their blades.:confused1

I felt as if the blade was pulling out the stubbles instead of cutting them. A three-pass shave gave me an okay shave but no more, and the Merkur-blades have had their last visit into my razors.:thumbdown
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
1.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
I have avoided these based on comments here. Awhile back I received 100 in an order mixup. I sent $10 for 100 somethings and got Merkurs. After assessing options with the vendor I decided to keep them. What the heck, I began using them and got DFS and no irritation. I have gone through three packages over several months. They work fine in the Feather All SS and the Futur. They last and last. No problems, other than the asking price.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Ehh, I have had two of these blades supplied when I bought my 34C and 38C. The shave with the 34C was back when I was less experienced; I tossed the blade after that first shave. A bit later my 38C arrived. I promptly put the blade away in my little plastic holding bin pending Hell freezing over or something else as likely.

Friday morning I selected the 38C for my shave. I pulled out that Merkur blade but this time, I corked it. OK, I haven't any cork, I used a foam packing peanut; stropped each edge a few times and loaded my ax.

This was not the best shave I ever had. But it was in the Top Five! :thumbup1: I "subdued" the factory rawness and had a DFS; almost BBS. Two passes and some chin and mustache touch-up (as always) and I felt great.

No, I don't know if I'll actually buy these expensive shivs but should any come my way, I know how to get them to work for me!
Merkur Blades are no match to razors from the same brand. This blade is all but smooth, and apart form Dorco's it is only one that gives me serious razor burn. I bought couple of packs with my first Merkur razor, and many are still unopened.

Perhaps it's just my stubborn beard...I don't know....
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
D
I use these for the simple fact that I get them in a number places in and around Portland. For me they give a good shave, I more often then not shave every other day so my marks on Longevity my be a bit off. The only thing that I do not like so much is the Packaging, I have a hard time get the last 2 blades or so out of the plastic box. When I first started to use DE blades (only a few years ago) I ordered a sample pack from west coast shaving and I could not tell that big a the all blades apart, so I just stuck with what I could get.
I had been a devoted Wilkinson Sword user for a long time. Started back in the late 1960's with Wilkinson Sword blade from the UK. I find no difference between the current Wilkinson Sword, produced in Germany, and the Merkur Blades. They are nice close shavers! The only drawback, which defeats the use of this blade as well as the Wilkinson Sword as a daily blade, is the high price of the Merkur and Wilkinson Sword. IMO...If the quality remained high and the price dropped, these double edge blades would gain a larger market share. There are just too many double edge blades with a lower price and equal quality that are more reasonable to use daily. Cheers!
Theses are the 1st DE razor baldes I have every used. After trying a few other brands (Wilkinson, Feather) I think they are middle of the road in performance and a bit overpriced. Nonetheless, the packaging is nice.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
D
After having my face mauled by a couple of Derby blades, I found a pack of Merkurs in the medicine cabinet, and what a relief they were. They're not the sharpest blades, but they are quite smooth. For me, they work almost as well as Personna reds. Of course with Merkurs at 3-4x the price of Personnas, I'll keep buying the reds. But I still think this is a good blade, and a very good choice for beginner DE shavers.
my razor came with a pack of 10... and I wasn't sorry to see 'em go, not a 'bad' razor, just not a great one.. way too much tugging even with a fresh blade!
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
I have just started using these blades - before I used mach 3 and they were costing me a bomb!
I used to change my blade weekly - however with the Mercurs it is now bi-weekly and they are at least 50% cheaper than mach 3's.

What's not to like?:thumbup:
The shave they give is smooth and I am very impressed indeed with my mercur blades!
Well done mercur :thumbup1:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I realize that razorblades are a matter of personal preference. These blades aren't bad but they are far from being my favorite and they are nothing special.

I can see how you'd want to pay a similar price for Feather Blades since they are SHARP! However, these blades have nothing special to justify their price. They are not bad, they just don't perform any better or last any longer than cheaper blades.

I have found cheaper blades that are sharper and last longer so I won't be getting Merkurs again. Overall I am not impressed with Merkur in general; their blades are average and their DE razors are "ok."
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
These blades are fine. They're not good, they're not bad. They won't give you a smooth, perfect one pass shave, but they won't drag and skip and gouge you either. They're good for about three shaves on average. Not much better than the US Personnas you get at the drug store when you run out of your good blades and forget to eBay some more.

None of this would be particularly worth commenting on except that they're pointlessly, comically expensive. They are considerably duller than Derbys, Sharks, Bluebirds and Israeli Personnas, but they cost four times more per blade on average. Why bother? Feathers are expensive too, but they're uniquely sharp and long lasting. There's no good reason to spend the money for Merkurs.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I've tried several different blades so far and I must say that for the price, I expected more in terms of performance, longevity etc, but the Merkur blades were an underperformer for me. They are a decent blade, but the Red IPs perform better for me at a significantly lower cost.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
These are hit or miss blades imo. If you get a good blade, you are in for some good shaves which the blade lasts. However, I've had a few bad blades that either tore my face up or just didn't last past 2 shaves without tugging.
For the price, these blades are not very good at all.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Sharpness
0.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
I started out using the Derby as my first ever blade, which was not an unreasonable shave. I didn't get to the end of the Derby before I decided to give the Feather a spin. Its alleged assasin's blade sharpness was well justified...

...which made moving to the Merkur Platinum feel like I was shaving with a blunt saw. It dragged and scratched its way through 2 days of tough beard stubble and I could hear it, whisker by whisker, each one screaming back at the large silver lawnmower, begging it to halt its wavering approach.

I know this might be the blade of choice for some, but when you have steel wire for a beard...
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)