What's new

Merkur Platinum Double Edge Blades

I held off on evaluating these because I thought I had a bad package. I have to admit, I went from a USA Personna to the Merkur, so my first reaction was how incredible the blade is. They are sharp, but not harsh. Very smooth, which is where they hold the edge over the Feather. But for me, after 3 shaves, the quality drop drastically. I can feel stubble 3 hours later. I know the Merkur is well respected, so I tried a second pack. Same story.

For the money, I'll go with the Israeli Personna blades, or the Euro Gillettes.

Randy
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
It isn't really that there is somethign wrong with these blades, in fact they are really pretty good, but for the money (+- $5 for 10) they just aren't a good value. I rate them as equal with the US Personnas and a 1/2 notch below the Israelis. Great starter blades, but too expensive.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
I to liked the merkur blade-especially for a beginner. However, once I found out about the israeli blades, that was it for me. I have been using them ever since and love them.

next on the list will be the acquisition of some of the gillette blades from auravita and some of the feather blades also.

too bad merkur didn't put the same energy into their blades as they did into their razors.:bored: :rolleyes:

Marty
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
Quality - A very well made blade with great consistency from blade to blade.

Longevity - I can only get 4 to 5 shaves from one of these before I start to notice considerable pulling.

Price - Not a big expense at 40 to 50 cents a blade, but definitely not the cheapest high-quality blade on the market.

I like the Merkur blades and believe them to be of good quality. With the emergence of the very cheap Israeli Persona's and Turkish Derby's, however, the Merker's have lost a lot of their luster. When looking at a blade and considering quality, longevity, and price, I can no longer view the Merkur as one of my top blades. I can't manage a full weeks worth of shaves from the Merkur's and while I realize that we're only talking about a difference of 20 to 30 cents per blade, money is money.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
:thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Good smooth shaving blade. Not as sharp as the feather blade - yet is also a hell of a lot more gentle and forgiving.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
A gold standard of razors.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
There's not much to say on the Merkur Blade, which isn't a bad thing. This is a dependable blade that provides consistent shaves. It might not be the sharpest, and it might not be the cheapest, but it is a good, well performing blade. Blades are oddly enough very much a matter of personal preference. I prefer Merkur.

displayimage.php

-Nick
Top Bottom