What's new

Merkur Double-Edge Travel Razor

Item Description

A nice, small rzor for travel, or even everyday use.

The handle is short; about 2.5-3", I'd say, and breaks apart (unscrews) into two seperate pieces. The head, like most (all?) Merkurs screws off and seperates into two. A compact storage case is included, and of decent quality.

This razor seems to me to be pretty much the same as my Merkur Long Classic, save for the shortened break-apart handle. It seems to sahve about the same, which is to say that this is a quality razor but might be a bit on the un-aggressive size, as seems to be the consensus with Merkurs (I have no experience with other razors, so nothing against which to compare). Nonetheless, proper technique and a good blade gets me as close a shave as I care to get. A good product, nicely portable, highly reccommended.

Latest reviews

Pros: A great shave, impressively compact
Cons: A little lightweight
I received this razor as a present a couple of weeks ago and as I have been working away from home it has been my go-to razor (I normally use an EJ89). The razor came with Merkur Super Blade and the vendor also threw in a 5 pack of Treet Platinums. I have been immensely impressed with this little beauty. Slightly more agressive than a Gillette Tech I feel but less so than my EJ. Every shave so far has been BBS with no nicks or weepers, using either of the supplied blades. I'll try a Derby next but I am sure that the result will be the same. I used my EJ last weekend witha Treet blade and ended up with several nicks and an inferior shave to that I have been getting with this Merkur and I suspect I have been converted and that my EJ will be relegated. I now need to decide what standard size Merkur to buy! To think I switched to DE shaving to save money!
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Pros: small size, leather case, open-comb head
Cons: price, poor balance
Merkur Travel Safety Razor, open comb

This is a handy open-comb travel razor with a two-piece handle. It comes in a leather case (as mine did), or a transparent plastic case. If Gillette had made an old-style travel razor, it may have looked like this one.

Price: $38.50 seems a bit steep for what you get. But it disassembles into a compact space, which is the main point of this razor.

Quality: I don't think much of the alloy or the plating, but I found no glaring flaws with the razor.

User Friendly: The handle assembles and disassembles easily, and the head functions like a Gillette old-style safety razor.

Grip Knurling on the handle is adequate for a lightweight razor.

Ease of Blade Replacement: As with the Gillette old-style, blade replacement is not difficult, but it is not as easy as it could be.

Aggressiveness It has more bite than I expected, and it gets the job done.

Adjustability: This is not an adjustable razor.

Balance: The handle lacks the mass to balance the head, but that is an acceptable trade-off for a razor that breaks down as this one does.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
3.00 star(s)
This little beauty turned up with my 39C slant this morning, and WOW, really really cool, the handle twists apart and one bit fits inside the other to make it really small, it all fits in nice little leather pouch which is the same size as a book of matches.

Shave = 38C style..same head I think, as I've already shaved with my slant this morning....pending

Well worth the money, wonderful design, small, packs a bit of weight for something so small.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly