What's new

Gillette Sheraton Open Comb TTO

Item Description

I picked this old razor up from a guy on the BST a while back for less than $20. It's not pretty, but it shaves like a dream. That's why I wanted it. I would also like to find an older Aristocrat with an Open Comb + TTO, because I think this was one of Gillette's finest designs. For a 72 year old piece of shaving history, this is a fine tool. This one, I believe, was the last of the open comb TTO razors built by Gillette. Once in a while I see these popping up on ebay, but they're generally collectors, and sell at much higher prices than I gave for this old fellow. The Sheraton is not aggressive, which is important to me. The open comb makes it gentle, and I highly recommend this razor.

Latest reviews

Pros: construction
Cons: weight
This is a lovely piece of hardware. I'd been after one for a while, but the prices seemed to be skyrocketing into the $70's and even $100's just for usable models. I happened on this one for just under $40 and I'm very happy. I provides the closeness of a long comb Gillette, but the ease of TTO. My first shave was DFS and I imagine, with a bit of practice, I could regularly get BBS. My only complaint is the head weight is so much greater than the handle that it feels out of balance in my hand. My design would be to lengthen and provide a bit more ballast in the handle to counteract the difference. Other than that, a great razor.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Easy to use. Seems to that it can shave with any blade
Cons: Time consuming to keep it nicely
Thumbs up
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Extremely comfortable shave. The comb teeth are not felt.
Cons: I wish the handle was slightly wider.
I paid way too much, but the Gillette Sheraton was worth it! I will keep it forever.

The Gillette Sheraton was manufactured in 1937-1939. It is a long comb razor with slightly thick teeth. It was the last of the Gillette open comb razors, and it was the first of the Gillette TTO designs. It has a unique place in Gillette history.

It gives outstanding shaves with a Feather blade. The Gillette Sheraton is an extremely comfortable razor on the face. The comb teeth are not felt.

The only negative is the TTO handle is slightly too narrow for my hand's preference. But then a little variety in shaving handles is one of the personality elements that keeps shaving interesting.

I have 26 safety razors, and this is a strong candidate for my number one favorite.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
2.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)