What's new

Gillette Bleue Extra

Item Description

These blades have cropped up on B&B from time to time, and have been discussed here. In assessing them, I should defer to the judgment of those who have been using these blades for longer than I have (or will), so read this review with the caveat that I have only used this blade three times: twice in a 1949 Super Speed, once in a Merkur Progress.

Please also note that the picture is a stock photo; the packs I have are slightly less green and do not come with two free blades.

The place of manufacture is - as with the "Swedish" Gillettes - uncertain: What must be a newer pack gives Procter & Gamble addresses in Weybridge (UK) and Geneva (Switz.), while the older ones list the Gillette companies in Brussels, Esbo, Copenhagen, Milan, Oslo, Rijswijk, Stockholm...

Price: Around 3 Euros a pack, I think – though I didn't buy them myself. In any case, cheaper than the "Super Platinum" version. Availability is a problem. Mine come from the Galeries Lafayette department store in Strasbourg, you can also get them online, but only – as far as I can tell – from France.

Quality: This is one for the metallurgists: I have heard it said that these are, essentially, Swedish G's minus the platinum coating. Quality seems pretty good to me, though I'm not in a position to gauge whether it's consistently so.

Sharpness: Pretty sharp. They cut through stubble like nothing (with the possible exception of the mighty Feather).

Longevity: Have used this only three times, but it doesn't seem to have changed much in that time. Could probabably deliver more, but right now, I'll not try that, because...

Smoothness: The smoothness of the shave does not, to my mind, quite balance the sharpness: Every use gave me BBS in the easier places, but not in the difficult ones where I feared to tread (sorry, dodgy metaphor). I also got some nicks in places where I haven't had nicks for a while. Not a gentle or forgiving blade, to my mind.

Packaging: Dispenser, as with the Swedes. Smelly petroleum-based coating rather than individual wrappers. Fiddly cardboard outer packaging. Still, one point for the pleasure of using the dispenser with my Super Speed – catching the blade in the notch – and another for the capacious used blade safe.

Overall: If you like the Swedes, you'll love these. I don't much like the Swedes, but like these better. Still, I don't think I'll be using these regularly.

Latest reviews

Pros: Sharp, smooth and cheap
Cons: Only available in France
I always pick up a few boxes (10 pieces in a cardboard box) whenever I'm in France. I've not seen the plastic boxes as shown in this thread but the cardboard boxes are the same blades.
Readily available in supermarkets but I've never seen them outisde France.
These are my personal benchmarks and so far nothing has surpassed these blades. At the price they are unbeatable anyway.
I can get about 7 smooth shaves out of them but I don't have a heavy beard. For those who have they should still get 3-4 decent shaves with these blades.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Very sharp blade, but not blood thirsty
Cons: The damn oil used to preserve the blades has stuck them together
These blades give me a very close, smooth shave. No redness or irritation and unlike their close competition, Feather, they don't give me any nicks or weepers either.

I can get 4 good shaves out of a blade, 5 if I'm desperate, so I don't have any problems with value for money.

Quality seems to be consistently good, no "duds" so far after 4 blades from one packet.

My only complaint is that the oil they use to preserve the blades has stuck the whole dispenser of blades together. I had to break the dispenser open to get the blades out. :cursing:

Other than that I like the concept of the dispenser with the used blade slot in the back.

Will buy more, hopefully the sticking blades was a one off.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I tried out nine blades and took notes. Overall, the blade seemed to do the job, but then I would develop really bad razor burn about the fourth day, although I was being very slow and careful with technique. Used the blades in a Fat Boy (5). Obviously, a high quality blade, but it ended up irritating my skin for some reason.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)

Item information

Added by
jkroll
Views
Reviews
Last update
Rating
0.30 star(s) 30 ratings

More in Razor Blades (Reviews)

More from jkroll

• Pears Soap
    Pears Soap has been around since 1789, and is known in its native...
Top Bottom