What's new

Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge

I got these from WCS after reading so many good things about them, I tried them on a Vision, Futur & Mergress. The only problem was that I tried them on the Vision after putting the razor apart for cleaning and when putting it together forgot to adjust it to my usual starting level and the Vision's maws where open wider than I expected. This blade is so smooth that I did not realize I got a big weeper until the wife mentioned it to me during breakfast. I could had bled to death on my huevos rancheros.
They are smooth and sharp and I'm not sure is that is a good combination, since you can slice yourself and don't even know it.
By the time I tried them on Futur and Mergress I was prepared no to exsanguinate myself on my breakfast. They are smooth and this can result in possible blood loss by not knowing if they are actually cutting...they are.
They are very nice blades and once I became aware of its smoothness they provided very nice and close shaves.
Con: Two many wrapping but I prefer cardboard packages rather than plastic
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
So far, they're just as good as my Feathers and much cheaper. I think I've found a new go-to blade. Time to stock up!

I dislike the double-layer packaging, though.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Gillette
7 O'CLOCK
SharpEdge (Yellow box)
Made by Gillette Czech s.r.o. , Na Ptikope 21, Praha
Correspondence Gillette Middle East,
PO Box 1996, Dubai, UAE

Because they came with an assortment of blades, I rated the price at 5. I have shaved with one blade twice. The first shave, seemed unremarkable and the second was comfortable for a second shave with the same blade. We'll see how long the blade lasts before I chose to discard it. Over all, I would recommend buying the blades if the price is right. As a newbie I haven't quite figured out how to subjectively determine how sharp and smooth a blade is. I can say that I nicked my chin twice without knowing it; does that translate to sharp?
Been using these for a week now and they just feel right. Sharp, smooth, they seem to glide over my skin allowing multiple passes without giving rise to any irratation. Really worth giving these blades a try, luv em.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
This is the perfect blade I think. Almost as sharp as a feather and smoother and more forgiving. Price is great too if you buy from one of the English sellers
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I was a long-time Derby fan, but quite accidentally (sort of) came into a pack of vintage Gillettes, that are by all accounts the same as Swedish Gillettes. So I thought "what the heck", and I started using the pack of G's. They were ok. I didn't think them especially better or worse than the Derbys I had been using.

Then I finished up the last of the G's, and opened up a fresh new Derby. Man, was it harsh by comparison. Keep in mind that Derbys had been my favorite, and that the G didn't seem like anything special in comparison. But when switching back to the Derby, the difference was really apparent. I just couldn't use the Derby after that. Looking back from this point, I realize that those occasional ingrowns I experienced when using the Derbys (but never attributed to the blades) had completely stopped while I had been using the G's.

So, I went through the rest of my drawer to see what other blade samples I might have laying around, no way was I going to pay Swedish G prices. I happened upon a blade review on SMF of the Dorco ST-301, and found one in my drawer, so I put it in the razor. It was nice and smooth. And cheap. But, only lasted for 3 shaves. That was a dealbreaker for me.

After a bit more fishing in the drawer, I found a Gillette 7 O'clock SharpEdge (yellow) blade. I figured "hey, I liked the other Gillette, let's see what this one can do". Well, I was not disappointed. It was darn near as sharp as I ever remember a feather being. And it was SMOOTH. Whereas the feather is a bit rough, and can easily bite unpredictable, the yellow 7 o'clock glides across my face smooth and easy.

So far these blades are by far my favorite, and at $26(ish) for 100 they are very reasonable in price for the 10-15+ shaves I can get from them (very careful to dry the blade post-shave, so as to prohibit any rust/oxidation from lingering water). Highly recommended, give them a try if you get the chance.

I also feel the need to add, for any new wetshavers that may try either the 7 o'clock blades once or twice and end up with a bad shave: these sharper blades do not tolerate bad technique well, the "zero pressure" rule is extra important with these.

What I mean is, if you grab a Dorco ST-301, you can easily press too hard on your face and still not get cut. With a 7 o'clock, it's too sharp for this.

It's utterly smooth, but if you err and use pressure, or a wrong angle, you may well get cut. No pressure, proper angles, and you'll do fine. At least that's been my experience (full disclosure: I've yet to cut myself with a 7 o'clock). That combination of sharp + smooth is what allows these to cut like lasers, without being rough at all on the face.

The only minor negative? Those FOUR stinking glue spots on the blade. FOUR?! Sheesh. Someone shoot me a PM if you find an easy way to get rid of that glue.

Regards.

J
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
A notch below the feathers. Requires more passes to achieve a feather like shave.

Much better than the green.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
not sure i have noticed a difference against the green pack.. but they are excellent blades nonetheless. the best i have tried (others are Wilkinson Brasil, Wilkinson Germany, Kai, Croma, Bic).
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
These blades are produced in St. Petersburg Russia and they are by far the smoothest and most comfortable blade at its price point that I have used to date. These blades differ from the Russian 7 O'clock PermaSharp blades in smoothness and sharpness IMHO. The SharpEdge blades are coated where as the PermaSharp blades are not. I am not sure sure about the same blades that are produced in India, I have not tried them.

I have tried this blade in several razors, and with many different soaps and creams. With every trial run, I get excellent results and of course some are better with certain soap/cream and razor combinations than others but I still get steller results compared to other blades I have used.

I find these blades just as smooth and sharp as Feather but far cheaper. The only thing I feel the Feathers have over the SharpEdge blades is the fact that they seem to last longer than the SharpEdge blades. Also, I find these blades far superior to the Gillette Sweedes, IMHO they are sharper, smoother and cause less irritation, but of course YMMV.

If you like Feathers, I urge you to give these a try. They might surprise you.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)