What's new

Gatsby After Shave Water by Mandom

Item Description

After reading through the 'Old School Japanese aftershaves thread.', I remembered that one of the aftershaves mentioned was to be found in abundance in local stores here in Malaysia. The Gatsby brand has been around for quite some time over here. I remember seeing and using Gatsby 'Water Gloss' hair Gels since 1986. As far as shaving products are concerned however, Gatsby sells a shaving gel (that remains as a gel once you put it on your face - its quite meh anyways) and the After Shave Water.

I picked up mine on sale for around RM10 (around 2.85 USD). The bottle is light blue, has 140 ml of the product and claims to have a "Fresh Citrus Fragrance". Ingredients worth mentioning are :Menthol, Camphor, and Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract (aka Aloe Vera). The rest of the stuff in this are alcohol, Lactic Acid and other stuff that sounds like combustibles. :lol:

So onwards to the experience: I've been trying this aftershave for at least 2 weeks just to arrive at a more objective review of the product. The shave that preceded the aftershave was relatively unchanged. As I opened the flip top bottle, a very lime-lemon kind of scent wafted into my nose. It was ok, not too strong. Putting it on my face however was a totally different story. I usually have very very mild razor burn regardless of what I use and once the Gatsby hit my face it burnt like H-E-Double-Hockeysticks! A sensation that died of within 45 seconds. No doubt it was the menthol/camphor/alcohol triple whammy. After that it was refreshing, got absorbed into th skin and did a nice job of moisturizing my face. Even the scent dissipated within 3 minutes of application

But when I did my 'Week of Gatsby' the weather here was pretty hot and humid. With the menthol from the AS on my face, it (my face that is) was sweating quite a bit. As I wiped the sweat off, so did the AS get wiped off too. Unlike my Nivea Balm which still stays on when my face sweats, this AS was being removed with every dab/wipe. Soon the burns returned and I ended up reapplying it about 3 times before giving up and going with Nivea. This happened all week. Tonight as I'm writing this, its way much cooler. I reapplied it but guess what? same results. So I don't know if its my face or the weather but this AS doesn't seem to be working for me. Stay tuned for its appearance in a PIF or a B/S/T thread pretty soon.

Latest reviews

After reading through the 'Old School Japanese aftershaves thread.', I remembered that one of the aftershaves mentioned was to be found in abundance in local stores here in Malaysia. The Gatsby brand has been around for quite some time over here. I remember seeing and using Gatsby 'Water Gloss' hair Gels since 1986. As far as shaving products are concerned however, Gatsby sells a shaving gel (that remains as a gel once you put it on your face - its quite meh anyways) and the After Shave Water.

I picked up mine on sale for around RM10 (around 2.85 USD). The bottle is light blue, has 140 ml of the product and claims to have a "Fresh Citrus Fragrance". Ingredients worth mentioning are :Menthol, Camphor, and Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract (aka Aloe Vera). The rest of the stuff in this are alcohol, Lactic Acid and other stuff that sounds like combustibles. :lol:

So onwards to the experience: I've been trying this aftershave for at least 2 weeks just to arrive at a more objective review of the product. The shave that preceded the aftershave was relatively unchanged. As I opened the flip top bottle, a very lime-lemon kind of scent wafted into my nose. It was ok, not too strong. Putting it on my face however was a totally different story. I usually have very very mild razor burn regardless of what I use and once the Gatsby hit my face it burnt like H-E-Double-Hockeysticks! A sensation that died of within 45 seconds. No doubt it was the menthol/camphor/alcohol triple whammy. After that it was refreshing, got absorbed into th skin and did a nice job of moisturizing my face. Even the scent dissipated within 3 minutes of application

But when I did my 'Week of Gatsby' the weather here was pretty hot and humid. With the menthol from the AS on my face, it (my face that is) was sweating quite a bit. As I wiped the sweat off, so did the AS get wiped off too. Unlike my Nivea Balm which still stays on when my face sweats, this AS was being removed with every dab/wipe. Soon the burns returned and I ended up reapplying it about 3 times before giving up and going with Nivea. This happened all week. Tonight as I'm writing this, its way much cooler. I reapplied it but guess what? same results. So I don't know if its my face or the weather but this AS doesn't seem to be working for me. Stay tuned for its appearance in a PIF or a B/S/T thread pretty soon.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)