What's new

Edwin Jagger DE # 87

Item Description

Has anyone tried this new DE from Edwin Jagger. I haven't ordered mine yet, but I'd like to read a review of it before I do. It looks decent. Wasn't sure if it was the same as the EJ #86. Love'd to know how it shaves.:001_smile

Latest reviews

Pros: Gorgeous finish, perfect balance, very close shave
Cons: Handle somewhat slippy if hands are soapy
This EJ DE razor is my second DE razor, my first was a Boots own (British high street chemist for you American chaps) cheap thing with naff plastic handle and lightweight steel head. this was only an introductory purchase to see if I liked DE shaving, on deciding I could get on with it I purchased the Edwin Jagger DE87 at the reasonable price of £20 (just over $32). I was quite taken aback by the quality and look of the thing when it arrived, the chroming and finish is quite beautiful and my wife refused to believe I paid what I did for it. my first use with the Derby razors supplied with it told me I had purchased the right product, the smooth and close shave I got was a pure contrast to anything I had used before. I have trialed Derby, Wilkinson Sword, Personna Blues, and Feather blades in this razor but have settled on Bolzano as my blade of choice (50 blades cost £0.16 ea from Connaught Shaving), the Feathers work well in this but I get an equally close shave, if possibly a smoother one from the Bolzanos, and I find they last longer too. The only criticism would be the handle, I have never found the razor actually slipping in my hand but I do towel dry before using just in case, the handle is handsomely detailed and the razor well balanced but I think I will replace in time with something possessing better grip.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Well made, attractive razor
Cons: none
I have had this razor for a week now and have been delighted with my purchase.

The finish and feel of this little razor are first class.

I bought the razor via Amazon and it was supplied with a packet of Derby blades, which are the only blades I have tried so far. The shave with the Derby blades is very good, non-aggressive and smooth with three passes.

I intend to try Feather blades to "spice up" the shave, as I am used to a more aggresive shave with my Parker razor.

I would suggest this is the perfect all round razor as you will get a smooth, irritation free shave with minimal risk of nicking yourself. What else do you need:wink2:

Some people have suggested blade changing is awkward but like any three piece razor, you can simplify the process by holding the head and blade lightly with a towel, whilst assembling the razor.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Beautiful finish
I am new to DE shaving, and this is the razor I chose to start with.
Of course I can't compare it with other razors, but that won't stop me telling you what I do know.
Firstly, the finish of the metal parts is fantastic. No machining marks, just smooth smooth chrome.
I immediately feel this razor will be with me for a long time (unlike the Merkur Progress which I sent right back due to shoddy finsh).
I have big hands, but don't have trouble with this razor, it is light and I just grip it between thumb and two fingers. I do try to keep my fingers dry to make sure the grip is good, but that's probably just me being paranoid.
Well as a beginner I am getting incredibly smooth shaves - so for you experienced people this is going to be sensational.
What else? Every blade I have put in aligns itself spot on. I love the look of the faux Ivory, the thing looks really good on the shelf, it gives me a good feeling just to look at it.
I got this from Amazon (UK) for just £19, a real bargain.
One thing though, they shipped it with the base plate on upside down, and as a complete Newbie to this I didn't realise this for some time. But that's in the past now :)
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)