What's new

Edwin Jagger DE # 87

Pros: Gorgeous finish, perfect balance, very close shave
Cons: Handle somewhat slippy if hands are soapy
This EJ DE razor is my second DE razor, my first was a Boots own (British high street chemist for you American chaps) cheap thing with naff plastic handle and lightweight steel head. this was only an introductory purchase to see if I liked DE shaving, on deciding I could get on with it I purchased the Edwin Jagger DE87 at the reasonable price of £20 (just over $32). I was quite taken aback by the quality and look of the thing when it arrived, the chroming and finish is quite beautiful and my wife refused to believe I paid what I did for it. my first use with the Derby razors supplied with it told me I had purchased the right product, the smooth and close shave I got was a pure contrast to anything I had used before. I have trialed Derby, Wilkinson Sword, Personna Blues, and Feather blades in this razor but have settled on Bolzano as my blade of choice (50 blades cost £0.16 ea from Connaught Shaving), the Feathers work well in this but I get an equally close shave, if possibly a smoother one from the Bolzanos, and I find they last longer too. The only criticism would be the handle, I have never found the razor actually slipping in my hand but I do towel dry before using just in case, the handle is handsomely detailed and the razor well balanced but I think I will replace in time with something possessing better grip.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Well made, attractive razor
Cons: none
I have had this razor for a week now and have been delighted with my purchase.

The finish and feel of this little razor are first class.

I bought the razor via Amazon and it was supplied with a packet of Derby blades, which are the only blades I have tried so far. The shave with the Derby blades is very good, non-aggressive and smooth with three passes.

I intend to try Feather blades to "spice up" the shave, as I am used to a more aggresive shave with my Parker razor.

I would suggest this is the perfect all round razor as you will get a smooth, irritation free shave with minimal risk of nicking yourself. What else do you need:wink2:

Some people have suggested blade changing is awkward but like any three piece razor, you can simplify the process by holding the head and blade lightly with a towel, whilst assembling the razor.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Beautiful finish
I am new to DE shaving, and this is the razor I chose to start with.
Of course I can't compare it with other razors, but that won't stop me telling you what I do know.
Firstly, the finish of the metal parts is fantastic. No machining marks, just smooth smooth chrome.
I immediately feel this razor will be with me for a long time (unlike the Merkur Progress which I sent right back due to shoddy finsh).
I have big hands, but don't have trouble with this razor, it is light and I just grip it between thumb and two fingers. I do try to keep my fingers dry to make sure the grip is good, but that's probably just me being paranoid.
Well as a beginner I am getting incredibly smooth shaves - so for you experienced people this is going to be sensational.
What else? Every blade I have put in aligns itself spot on. I love the look of the faux Ivory, the thing looks really good on the shelf, it gives me a good feeling just to look at it.
I got this from Amazon (UK) for just £19, a real bargain.
One thing though, they shipped it with the base plate on upside down, and as a complete Newbie to this I didn't realise this for some time. But that's in the past now :)
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
This is my second safety razor; my original being a Merkur 34c HD. I love the 34C; it is well made, though I occaisonally experience razor burn.

The DE 87 in comparison is a fine quality precision shaving instrument. The 34c cannot compare in quality of fit and finish. The balance is infinitely superior and gives a smooth shave, especially with Shark blades. It is so smooth one has to be carefull not to shave too quickly. Shaving quickly was the only time I received a nasty cut with this razor and a Dorco 301. While this is a smooth razor, it must be respected. It can do damage.

Now my dislikes: I hate the 3- piece construction. It makes blade changes slower and more perilous then the Merkur. The- two piece Merkur construction beats the EJ hands-down for convenience and safety. The EJ 87 handle is okay as far as grip, but can get slippery in the shower. The 34C handle design is superior and is easier to maintain grip in a wet shave environment.

I still like my Merkur HD, but I have relegated it to travel duty and mostly use the EJ.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Totally beautiful, quality razor
Cons: Handle a little slippery
After reading reviews and comments about this razor I was expecting a quality shaving instrument, but was still surprised when I opened the box. This razor is a beauty!

As others have commented, the handle is a little slippery when wet, but not really a problem in actual use. My ratings say it all. This may become my one and only razor, if I decide to retire the Slim. Strongly recommended.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
Again, as with my Muhle R89 Review, let me explain something... First off, I rated it 10 for Adjustability, it doesn't have any, so I didn't want to take away from the overall score (there should be a N/A box).

The fit and finish on this razor is stunning. As with my Muhle R89 had a small flaw on the head and EJ sent a replacement, no questions asked as well as some samples. The new head came speedily and flawless.

The balance and aggressiveness are perfect. It is just the right size handle for my hands, it gives me a near BBS every time with 3 passes with a Feather blade and I've only be DE shaving for about 60days.

While the handle is a beautiful Ivory colour and the finish is perfect, I do find it a bit slippery if I have any soap on my hands, but I have yet to drop it or have it slip out of my hand. I have heard that if you rub some alum on your fingers prior to shaving, it helps, but I haven't tried it yet.

It's a 3 pce, so changing the blade takes a bit of care, but not much extra. The 3 pce is very nice for cleaning. After I swap out a blade, I take some liquid hand soap and a tooth brush and scrub it clean until the next time it gets used.

Overall, it's one of the best razor in my rotation. I have a Gillette Slim, Merkur 38C barberpole, Muhle R89 and I find myself getting the best shaves from the Muhle, but the EJ is one of the 2 razors I swap out constantly. Basically I go from the EJ87 to the Muhle and back and forth.

I think everyone should have at least 1 of this line of razors in their rotation, either the EJ or the Muhle and whatever handle you want.

Great razor and great shaves :001_smile
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
7/15/2010 Paid $27.15 SHIPPED To Florida from England. Best Razor i Have used. Grip is great. The 3 part Razor is easy to use. looks great.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Been shaving with this one for about a week. I've paid more for a Gillette Super Adjustable in unused condition than I did for the EJ. It shaves like a dream. I would have thought that the smooth imitation ivory handle would be hard to hold, but it is not. It's as aggressive as I could ever want. If I'm not careful, I nick myself with this one.
If this had been my first DE, it probably would have been my only DE.

Take it out of the box and it screams QUALITY!!! Wonderful razor.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
A very handsome, easy-to-handle razor. I'm a relative newbie but am really enjoying this razor, especially with Feathers and Derbys, and getting smooth, close shaves.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
I purchased this several months ago. Its a fine little razor provided you have small hands (which I dont). I ended up going for the E Jagger Chatsworth which is a little longer and just right for my hands. I still use the 86 but only for minor cleanup.
I just purchased this wonderful Edwin Jagger DE #86 razor and found it to be perfect in every way for my saving needs. At first I thought the black ebony handle would not provide a proper wet hand grip or be too short, only 3.75 inches in length. I was pleasantly surprised to find the balance and grip excellent. The faux ebony material is synthetic and provides a great non-slip texture even though it is smooth. The weight is only 2.4 oz but it feels just right to me. It is very easy to navigate and provides great feedback as it cuts through my whiskers. The resulting shave was the closest and most comfortable I have ever experienced. What really sold me on this product was that I found out it was the same head as the famous Muhle-Pinsel R89 (2009 Model) which has a higher price than the EJ. The head has the finest finish and totally free of any manufacturing blemishes. The head holds the blade in perfect alignment. It is also very attractive. I consider this razor the best bang for the buck. I am very surprised that Edwin Jagger has brought out this new line at such a competitive price. I paid $31.95 plus $6.50 shipping & handling from Amazon.com. This razor is now my favorite combined with a Derby blade.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I recently bought a EJ Lined Chatsworth, with a Muhle head, from the English Shaving Company. It has become my go-to razor. I also own a Merkur 38c which was my favorite razor before I used the EJ. The EJ is quite expensive, but is beautifully finished and superbly balanced. My only complaint about the handle is that the lines do not provide quite enough protection from slipping when I have wet hands. This problem is not bad, however.
The razor is made in three parts; top of head, bottom of head, handle. To change blades one sandwiches a new blade between the top and bottom parts of the head, then screws on the handle. This can make changing blades a little hazardous for me, if I'm not careful to hold the blade by its edges.
The EJ is a fixed-head razor, so adjustability is irrelevant.
I gave this razor 4 for aggressiveness. I find that the razor is less aggressive than my 38c, giving much more comfortable, smoother, shaves. However, I find that I get as close a shave (always BBS) with the EJ using my usual two-pass technique (XTG, ATG). That's why it has become my favorite razor.
If you don't want to spend the $ for a lined Chatsworth, I suggest that you check out the English Shaving Company's website for other, less expensive EJ razors.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
I don't know why I can't adjust to this one. Worked okay with the Israeli blades, but functions really bad with the Derby blades. Someone has an idea what I might do wrong? Had to turn back to my Merkud adjustable to get a tight shave. Not recommended.:huh:
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
2.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
I recently purchased a EJ Chatsworth with the new Muehl head from the English Shaving Co.. It is a great shaver and the plating finish is outstanding. It is becoming one of my favorite razors. I say go for it. It will make a great addition to your shaver rotation or as your primary razor.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Has anyone tried this new DE from Edwin Jagger. I haven't ordered mine yet, but I'd like to read a review of it before I do. It looks decent. Wasn't sure if it was the same as the EJ #86. Love'd to know how it shaves.:001_smile
Top Bottom