What's new

Dorco ST-301 Platinum Blades

These blades puzzle me. While the other reviews describe them as being relatively sharp, I was downright supprised at how much these things seem to pull, even from the first shave. I almost changed blades in the middle of the first use because it felt dull, but none the less, it gave a close shave, so I gave it a second shot. I'm not entirely sure what is going on for me or with the blades--I'm getting close, smooth shaves. Despite this, I'd put them behind Crystals, Gillette Yellows, and Wallmart American Personas in terms of the sensation of sharpness--the ease of the cut. Longevity for me seems to be on par, or a little worse than the American Persona blades--two to three shaves seems about all they're good for. I get a good shave, but I don't plan on buying any more, just because of the tugging when I've used them
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
1.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
I found a local vendor for these blades at $2 for ten. Not as cheap as some on-line vendors, but shipping to Canada from US stores moves the price point up a bit.... anyway...

I tried an ST301 about 8 months ago and ripped my face up - I think I was using a 1958 Superspeed from Ray (Thirdeye) and my technique was horrible and I blamed the blade.

i decided to give them another go and I have been using them in my Merkur HD for a week, and I must say that these are equal to Red Pack Personnas and Derby Extras for sharpness, smoothness and longevity.

I use a blade for three days and toss it - I have not tried to go past three days, I fugure at 6 cents per day, I can afford it.

Overall, these are a goood blade, and affordable.

thumbs up!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
I found these blades to be quite sharp, mowing down hairs with ease. They were also one of the most forgiving blades I have used. You should not be using any pressure with a DE, but with these blades you can make mistakes and still not get cut.

At 8 cents per blade when bought in bulk, these are some of the cheapest blades you can buy. My only complaint was that they only lasted 3 shaves, but at that price it's reasonable. After 3 shaves they're too dull to do much.

The blades are packaged 10 to a plastic dispenser, each individually wrapped in paper. No messy oil or glue spots on these, I thought it was first rate packaging.

Would I buy these blades again? No -- but only because I have blades that last twice as long (also twice the price), and I don't like changing the blade so often. If you don't mind it, these are decent blades.

Are there sharper blades out there? Yes, but they're also not as forgiving for new wetshavers who may not have their technique down pat.

Regards.

J
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)