What's new

Dorco ST-301 Platinum Blades

Item Description

I found these blades to be quite sharp, mowing down hairs with ease. They were also one of the most forgiving blades I have used. You should not be using any pressure with a DE, but with these blades you can make mistakes and still not get cut.

At 8 cents per blade when bought in bulk, these are some of the cheapest blades you can buy. My only complaint was that they only lasted 3 shaves, but at that price it's reasonable. After 3 shaves they're too dull to do much.

The blades are packaged 10 to a plastic dispenser, each individually wrapped in paper. No messy oil or glue spots on these, I thought it was first rate packaging.

Would I buy these blades again? No -- but only because I have blades that last twice as long (also twice the price), and I don't like changing the blade so often. If you don't mind it, these are decent blades.

Are there sharper blades out there? Yes, but they're also not as forgiving for new wetshavers who may not have their technique down pat.

Regards.

J

Latest reviews

Pros: A certain kind of sharpness...
Cons: ...which doesn't work for my face.
I've long argued that choosing a DE blade is extremely personal - to the point that I take the gaggle of reviews I read, here and elsewhere, with a necessary pinch of salt. So many guys swear by Feather blades, but try as I might, they don't do it for me - I find them aggressive as hell, no matter my prep nor light touch in use. Really, it's a horses-for-courses thing.

Dorco is another golden example. Lots of people here slag the ST-300 almost six ways to Sunday. Me? They've been my go-to blade going on a decade, with only the no-longer-available (AFAIK) Israeli "no-name" Personnas for an alternate. Many of those trashing the 300 point to the 301 as the better blade, and not by a small margin. I finally managed to snag a pack of them some months back, figuring, hey, if the 300s are so good, these <i>could</i> be better, which of course would be amazing.

Alas, no. As I mentioned in my review of the ST-300, my shave routine is what I call 2-1/2-pass (WTG/ATG for face/neck/chin, XTG for neck only). The kindest thing I can say about the 301 is that it's pretty good WTG, just okay XTG, but extremely dodgy ATG, pulling and nicking worse than I recall Feathers doing. The 300 almost <i>never</i> does this, using either my gold Gillette Aristocrat or my '72 Super Adjustable. (My silver "Brit-ocrat" is a tad rougher, which I chalk up to a more aggressive blade gap than the American 'crat.) I just tried a 301 in the SA one more time (about the 7th time now) to see if there was <i>some</i> way to make the blades behave, but no dice - the nicks were so bad I had to finish up with the gold Aristocrat with an "old" 300 loaded in it.

So...does this mean the ST-301 outright sucks? No. I can see it working for others, and indeed others here have said as much, and I believe them. But the 300 is light-years ahead when it comes to pampering <i>my</i> puss, and that's really all that counts here. And I'm now just into my second box of of ten-packs, so it'll be a while before I have to stock up again. Read the reviews, but grab a sample-pack to be sure. Aloha.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Inexpensive
Cons: short lived
I picked these up at a beauty supply store and the price was outstanding. I hadn't heard many good things, but was pleasantly surprised at the smooth shave. After about three uses I noticed some tugging. I'm a head shaver and it's usually in the back where I notice this most and I actually nicked myself behind my left ear. So I'd say three uses tops, but they are so inexpensive I can't complain.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Cons: Not very sharp
These blades aren't the sharpest nor the smoothest. They are better suited for those with light beards.

Quality control also seems to be a little inconsistent.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
1.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)