What's new

Crystal (Israel) DE Blades

Item Description

These are the blades that come in the basic WestCoastShaving sampler pack. I was surprised nobody else has reviewed them. Bear with me, as this is my first review that I have started.
As a disclaimer, the only other blade I have used is the Merkur. I use them in a Merkur Classic.
I just loaded this one up this morning and used it with my C&E Nomad sc. To start off with, I have been having some trouble getting a good lather with the Nomad, so the first pass was not that good, and I will have to say that both the blade and the cream contributed, say 30-70. I put most of the blame on the cream, as I had a similar effect when using my Merkur blade. For the second pass, though, I had a much better, more lubricating lather, and the blade did only so-so. I did a total of 3 1/2 passes (wtg, wtg, xtg, then atg only on the neck) and found that the result was about as good as with my Merkur, if not a little less so. My face does feel a little irritated, but that may very well be due to the horrible first pass.
I'll keep the blades and try them with a more reliable cream. And like I said, I found they were comparable to the Merkur, and will definitely get the job done.

Okay, I don't know if it is kosher to repost on a review that you have written, but I have revisited these blades, and now view them more favorably.
I originally tried these in my Merkur Classic, and they were only so-so. The best in that razor, for me, were the Swedish Gillettes. But then I picked up a '59 Gillette Fatboy, and things changed for me. I don't know why, but blades behave differently in different razors. The Swedish Gillettes are now just a bit too sharp in my Fatboy. Do they work better in lighter razors? The Crystal, on the other hand, performs like a champ in my Fatboy. Sharp cutter, smooth shave, no irritation, I can do a WTG pass set on 5, then follow up XTG with it set on 7, and my face looks and feels great after only 2 passes. I get 3-4 good shaves (with 2-3 passes per shave) out of one razor. How much do I love these now? Well, since I traded away my Classic, and my Fatboy is my goto razor, there will be a box of 100 of these under my Christmas tree this year (assuming my wife listens to me, and if not, they will arrive a few days later, when I order them for myself!). And the fact that they are tons cheaper than the Gillettes is also a nice bonus.

Latest reviews

Pros: Sharp very Feather-like
Cons: too agressive
I got 5 good shaves from this blade. It does remind me of a Feather Blade except it does not last as long. However, comparing the price of the two, Crystal is a bargain. I would recommend this blade.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
Pros: First pass is sharp, inexpensive
Cons: Dulls quickly, not sharp enough, not smooth enough
I shaved with the Muhle R89 + Crystal blades + Valobra soft soap. Summary of results follows:

Crystal Summary of results:
Total shaves: 27
Total Crystal shaves: 18
Total Crystal blades: 8
Total shaves with Valobra Crema di Sapone Purissima Almond: 14
Total shaves with Cella: 6
Total shaves with VDH Luxury: 6
Total shaves with KMF-Mint: 2
Lathering method: Load the soap on the brush and direct to face lather
Brush: B&B Essentials Boar
Razor: Muhle R89

The Crystal blade starts off moderately sharp and then dulls out fast. I can get two DFS shaves from this blade. The third shave leaves a good amount of stubble. This blade is not as smooth as other blades I have tried. I have to stop early to minimize irritation. Face does not feel good post shave. This combo will leave leakers and moderate irritation. The last 2-3 shaves with this blade have been DFS quality without nicks or irritation. These last 3 shaves were pleasant but time consuming.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Made in Israel
Cons: Harsh shave. What crystals am I using
I'm entirely confused what Israeli crystal varieties there are and if they are really different. Besides the ones in the red blister pack WCS has, there are also 2 varieties in a black pack - one called stainless and the other p
Platinum of some sort. The ones in the black pack called Stainless are very harsh and irritating. Not recommended.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)