What's new

Col Conk Lime Soap

This was a Christmas present from my wife. The lime scent is OK at best, but dissipates quickly. That's probably a good thing. Takes a lot of work to get a decent lather. Decent shave, decently moisturizing.

Decent. Nothing to write home about. Meh. After 10 shaves, it went into the shower.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Just a brief review on this one. My experience was not the same as the other Conk soaps. Lime dried me out and made my face burn. However, my face has a historical tendency to "react" to lime based soaps/creams. Smell is pleasant. Think lemon scented dish soap....but subdued.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
The smell just puts me off. I think it smells like dish soap - also kind of looks like dish soap in my clear container. So, smell alone will prevent me from buying this Conk again.

Both the Bay-Rum and the Almond Conks work out great for me and I will continue to use them. The lime performed the same and did end up delivering a good shave. So I will finish this puck, but then move on - maybe I am just not a limer. :blink:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Col Conk was one of my first soaps. The low price point appealed to me so I decided to try it out.

Overall it's not a bad soap, but my advice would be to spend a bit more and get a better soap.

The smell is horrible and the soap burned my face a little; the shave itself was mediocre at best.

Get Mama Bear's soap instead!
I find Col conk lime to be not too bad but to be fair there are much superior creams and soaps with a lime scent out there. Trumpers, T and H, TOBS and mama bears just to name a few.

I generally tend to use it if I'm doing superlather with trumpers lime shave cream as it does have a good amount of glycerin goodness.

I'm not saying it's rubbish, just is a very..... meh kind of shave. Probably good for a newbie to practice getting a decent lather from a soap but that's about it.
This stuff offers a great shave for a mere $5 bucks. The lather is slick and cushy and whips up quickly. In my opinion the best feature of this soap is the great natural lime smell that is a REAL lime scent, not like some of the other limes that smell like lime-jello.
I couldn't pass it by when I saw a stack of them on a shelf in a PA mall's cigar shop. Strong scented out of the plastic container, but pretty scentless to use.

Surprisingly, I get a pretty decent lather build up from it on my Col. Conk pure badger. Like all Conk soaps, it gives a great shave. Does dry the face, a bit. I kind of like that sometimes. Makes my face feel rather smooth after drying from the shave, just before I apply my aftershave.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied. For a great shave, I recommend it, if you ever come across some.

Col. Conk does sell an aftershave of this fragrance, if you still long for that scent, too last. I just can't seem to stray from my Old Spice. :001_smile
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
It smells like a piece of candy, and that isn't a compliment. Luckily, the lather doesn't smell particularly strong, nor does it linger after a shave.

The only real positive is that it lathers up extremely well, very slick, and moisturizes the same.

Huge fan of limes. Favorite desert is key lime pie. Used to drip bottled lime juice on my tongue as a kid. I literally love limes. So I bought the lime Skin Food, but skimped on a good lime soap, and went with this.

My mistake.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Price is low, but that's about the best thing to say. I had no problem whipping up a nice thick lather but it was pretty useless. No scent at all in my opinion and it neither moisturized nor protected my face. My blade bounced all over the place with lots of tugging and a bad case of razor burn after. I have had great success with the Cols. bay rum soap so was disappointed with this. I will be handing this off to a family member to see if they obtain better results.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
I bought my puck for $3.50 from London's while passing through Charlottesville. Overall quality is fair at best. Personally I think Van der Hagen Deluxe makes a far superior lather and still at a lower cost. The scent is very artificial and nothing to write home about. I can make thick appearing lather, but it does not cushion very well. It dissipates somewhat quickly, but lubricates very nicely for me. Of course that is the high glycerin content. Disappointed by its overall efficacy, I resorted to making superlather with it and KMF Key Lime cream. With the thickness of KMF and slickness of this soap, I am very pleased with the results.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Don't waste your money. Buy Mama Bears.
While it's very affordable, I retired it after some 10 shaves. Not much to report, other than disappointment, in the scent or lather department.

Being relegated, it didn't last very long in the shower as a body soap either...it just vanished w/o leaving much of a memory.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
Price/Quality: I think the Col. Conk line is exceptional for it's price point. (At USD$3.50 for the 2.5 oz puck, it's excellent.)

Scent: I find the Lime scent to be faint, but it does stick around throughout the lather.

Lather/Efficacy: Excellent for a soap. Slick, lubricating, in fact it's the best for soaps in its price range.

Moisturizing: This is the only weakness of this soap. I didn't find this to provide much (if any) moisturizing qualities. It didn't dry my skin, but I have used creams that are exceptional at moisturizing.

Overall, I think this soap is an quality soap for its price range. At $3.50, you can't go wrong with the Colonel!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
I've tried this soap and I must say for the money I paid for it it's a deal. I really liked the smell. I tend to prefer the more "candy" type lime smell. It lathers decently and even though it's a little on the dry side, for an everyday soap thats functional and pleasant and doesn't cost much to use it's great.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
I was not impressed by this soap. Definitely my least favorite Col Conk. There are just so many things wrong with it. First, it takes a lot of work to get a decent lather. Second, the smell isn't so great to begin with, and completely disappears by the time you make a lather. It's not very cushioning, although it has decent lubrication. Do yourself a favor and skip this one.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Lather
1.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
As MikeLip, I had the impression that it's not a bad soap, but the scent fades out when it's lathered. So if you are looking for lime scent only, it will hardly make you happy.

I bougth it for around 7 euros, so it's not a cheap soap. Moreover, I finished it very quickly!
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
At $3.50 from the local tobacconist, it's a little more than twice the price of the Williams puck across the street at CVS. But it's perhaps twice as good.

A quality glycerin soap that lathers nicely. Slick, but not oily or greasy. Adequately moisturizing -- I don't feel dry when I'm done. (This morning (Gillette Slim Adjustable set at -2- and a Derby Extra), I didn't use the after shave balm 'cause I didn't feel I needed it.)

Love the scent, but I do wish it were stronger -- agree with MikeLip that it dissipates on the face pretty quickly.

Certainly recommended if you like glycerin & lime, or think you might. Hey, recommended even if you don't. :wink:

- Richard
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I am still wandering through the world of shaving soaps and creams, looking for The Perfect Soap. While the good Colonel makes an acceptable product, it's not quite what I was after.

At the moment my gold standard in terms of comfort is Derby unscented shave cream. I'm not sure a soap is going to match that, but the hunt is part of the fun! This is the third soap I've used. I used Williams for years, since that is what our local Marcs carries. It works, smells OK and it's cheap. Next was Classic Shaving's house brand, which I found no better than Williams and it was five times the price.

The Col Conk stuff is definitely better than either. The lather is thicker and provides a slicker shave. I used my standby razor - a Merkur barberpole loaded with a fresh Derby blade. I can go back after that ATG stuff with little discomfort, and ended up with a BBS shave this morning. I love the scent of lime and it's here that this soap disappoints. If you stick your nose into the mug you can smell lime. But once it's on your face, the scent is gone.

The soap does seem to leave some moisturizing, which may be a bad thing for me since anything left on my face is asking for trouble. But I don't have that tight feeling I get after Williams or Classic, or even the Derby cream.

So, all in all not a bad shave. Disappointing in terms of scent. I have a new tub of Mama Bears' lime - that's next!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)