What's new

Col. Conk Bay Rum shaving soap

Item Description

This soap is my dad's number one favorite, and has been for quite a while. I had it about 2 years ago, and I really liked it because it seemed to be a good traditional kind of shaving soap. I recently acquired 2 cakes of this stuff, and I shaved with it yesterday. Although the packaging is about the same as Surrey soap, with a plastic container, this soap sure does more for my skin than Surrey ever did. It produces a nice, slick, pleasant smelling bay rum lather, and makes it easy to get a good close shave. Perhaps the moisturizing can use a little more upgrading, otherwise, I'm a happy camper.

Jeff

Latest reviews

Pros: price, lather
Cons: scent
It's an okay soap, and it lathers fairly well. The scent on the puck I received is almost negligible, but it works and for about $4 for the puck it's definitely one I don't feel buyer's remorse. If you want a great Bay Rum soap, try Captain's Choice.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Nice lather, smooth shave, very affordable.
Cons: Aroma rather weak, not as I remember bay rum
Nice lather with a smooth, affordable shave, which in my experience has been typical of Colonel Conk soaps. No nicks, no burn, just a nice shave. My only problem with this one is the scent is weak, and not how I remember bay rum. It's not a bad aroma by any means, not sure what it does smell like, just not bay rum. If you are expecting a prominent bay rum aroma you will be disappointed with this, however, if you don't care and are looking for a close comfortable shave, you will be quite happy. Had this had a real bay rum aroma I would have rated it a 10.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Scent, ease of lather, protection
Cons: Slickness
If this performed as well as the Almond or the Amber it would be great.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)