What's new

Captain Morgan's Private Stock

Item Description

Good old Captain Morgan's. I'm not a huge alcohol drinker; I make beer and such things, but drink slowly, and don't find myself getting drunk. I tend to keep a drink for over an hour, and often make a rum and coke with just a shot of rum rather than 50-50; when I'm done drinking my BAC is around 0.01, right off the bar stool.

My mainstays with rum are a lightly flavored rum and coke-- as stated, some 16 ounce drink with maybe an ounce and a half of rum in it for flavor-- or an additionally spiced "grog" made by mixing hot water with cold rum and a cinnamon stick and/or clove, sometimes an orange wedge, whatever. As it turns out, the flavor of the rum itself is emphasized when you're not downing 6 ounces in 15 minutes; it also turns out I'm not a fan of Baccardi, at all.

For my purposes I've found Captain Morgan's to be decent rum, nothing like some of the expensive high-end stuff but not the worst low-end thing you can get.

More interestingly, Captain Morgan's Private Stock presents itself as a much smoother drink than regular old Captain Morgan's. This rum can be sipped straight by a non-liquor person that can't take the burn of shooting rum, and actually enjoyed; in fact, I would argue that this rum isn't shot material, as it's too easily enjoyed taken slowly. It comes across as well-balanced, with not too much alcoholic burn and not too much overpowering spice, much more so than regular old Captain Morgan's. And it comes in a cool, pirate-style rectangular bottle with a cork set in a wooden cap.

The presentation, taste, and finish all come across, to me, as significantly superior to regular Captain Morgan's; and it comes at only a few dollars more for a fifth, not even leaving the same price range. I was decidedly impressed by this rum, and have taken to using it as a rum "extract" for cooking as well as simply a decent rum to drink, in small quantities of course.

Latest reviews

Pros: Just a hint of caramelly vanilla and very smooth
Cons: very sweet even for a rum
This is a nice rum, if you are looking for a desert rum. Like a desert wine pairs well at the final desert course. This might also pair well with the same desert course like an apple pie a la mode. It makes me think of a cordial in rum form.
Aroma
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Value
2.00 star(s)
Flavor
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
D
Good old Captain Morgan's. I'm not a huge alcohol drinker; I make beer and such things, but drink slowly, and don't find myself getting drunk. I tend to keep a drink for over an hour, and often make a rum and coke with just a shot of rum rather than 50-50; when I'm done drinking my BAC is around 0.01, right off the bar stool.

My mainstays with rum are a lightly flavored rum and coke-- as stated, some 16 ounce drink with maybe an ounce and a half of rum in it for flavor-- or an additionally spiced "grog" made by mixing hot water with cold rum and a cinnamon stick and/or clove, sometimes an orange wedge, whatever. As it turns out, the flavor of the rum itself is emphasized when you're not downing 6 ounces in 15 minutes; it also turns out I'm not a fan of Baccardi, at all.

For my purposes I've found Captain Morgan's to be decent rum, nothing like some of the expensive high-end stuff but not the worst low-end thing you can get.

More interestingly, Captain Morgan's Private Stock presents itself as a much smoother drink than regular old Captain Morgan's. This rum can be sipped straight by a non-liquor person that can't take the burn of shooting rum, and actually enjoyed; in fact, I would argue that this rum isn't shot material, as it's too easily enjoyed taken slowly. It comes across as well-balanced, with not too much alcoholic burn and not too much overpowering spice, much more so than regular old Captain Morgan's. And it comes in a cool, pirate-style rectangular bottle with a cork set in a wooden cap.

The presentation, taste, and finish all come across, to me, as significantly superior to regular Captain Morgan's; and it comes at only a few dollars more for a fifth, not even leaving the same price range. I was decidedly impressed by this rum, and have taken to using it as a rum "extract" for cooking as well as simply a decent rum to drink, in small quantities of course.
Aroma
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Value
4.00 star(s)
Flavor
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)

Item information

Added by
bluefoxicy
Views
Reviews
Last update
Rating
1.50 star(s) 2 ratings

More in Consumables (Reviews)

• Glendrostan Blended Scotch Whisky
    A humble review of a scotch whisky that is blended from a recipe prior...
  • Silver Bayou Rum
    "Silver Bayou Rum is proofed with triple filtered fresh water...
  • [Shiraz]
    There are several different varieties of this from Rosemont Estate...
  • Choklat
    A chocolate stout that tastes like chocolate. A rich stout that tastes...
  • Blue Cap
    Brewed in Belgium by Trappist Monks. Bold, Full Bodied, Sweet, and...
Top Bottom