What's new

Captain Morgan's Private Stock

Pros: Just a hint of caramelly vanilla and very smooth
Cons: very sweet even for a rum
This is a nice rum, if you are looking for a desert rum. Like a desert wine pairs well at the final desert course. This might also pair well with the same desert course like an apple pie a la mode. It makes me think of a cordial in rum form.
Aroma
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Value
2.00 star(s)
Flavor
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
D
Good old Captain Morgan's. I'm not a huge alcohol drinker; I make beer and such things, but drink slowly, and don't find myself getting drunk. I tend to keep a drink for over an hour, and often make a rum and coke with just a shot of rum rather than 50-50; when I'm done drinking my BAC is around 0.01, right off the bar stool.

My mainstays with rum are a lightly flavored rum and coke-- as stated, some 16 ounce drink with maybe an ounce and a half of rum in it for flavor-- or an additionally spiced "grog" made by mixing hot water with cold rum and a cinnamon stick and/or clove, sometimes an orange wedge, whatever. As it turns out, the flavor of the rum itself is emphasized when you're not downing 6 ounces in 15 minutes; it also turns out I'm not a fan of Baccardi, at all.

For my purposes I've found Captain Morgan's to be decent rum, nothing like some of the expensive high-end stuff but not the worst low-end thing you can get.

More interestingly, Captain Morgan's Private Stock presents itself as a much smoother drink than regular old Captain Morgan's. This rum can be sipped straight by a non-liquor person that can't take the burn of shooting rum, and actually enjoyed; in fact, I would argue that this rum isn't shot material, as it's too easily enjoyed taken slowly. It comes across as well-balanced, with not too much alcoholic burn and not too much overpowering spice, much more so than regular old Captain Morgan's. And it comes in a cool, pirate-style rectangular bottle with a cork set in a wooden cap.

The presentation, taste, and finish all come across, to me, as significantly superior to regular Captain Morgan's; and it comes at only a few dollars more for a fifth, not even leaving the same price range. I was decidedly impressed by this rum, and have taken to using it as a rum "extract" for cooking as well as simply a decent rum to drink, in small quantities of course.
Aroma
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Value
4.00 star(s)
Flavor
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)