What's new

C-Mon Cadillac by Peter J. Michaels

Item Description

This is a new-production razor available at numerous barber's supply stores. I got mine from Appleton Barber Supply for $52 (they also sell an Illinois #127 strop for $29, which is a relative bargain).

The razor appears to be made by Dovo, since it comes in a Dovo-style ABS slipcase. It's a carbon steel blade, and my example has gold wash on the tail and shank but not on the spine, and an attractive gold wash diamond on the blade containing the C-Mon name, and the C-Mon name and a red diamond on the shank. The butternut plastic scales have a blind 3rd pin that is probably an integral part of the moulding for the scales. The pivot is snug.

The spine and edge are both straight, which is sadly not guaranteed with modern razors, and the bevel seems to be a consistent width the whole length of the blade. However, the edge and spine are in slightly different planes which complicated honing a bit, though the razor honed up quickly using an "X" pattern.

I've shaved with it for about a week now and have been getting good shaves, and the edge seems to be holding up pretty well. It's certainly not going to win any awards, and the vintage C-Mon's are reputedly much better razors, but for the price this new razor seems to be a pretty good value.

attachment.php

Discuss this review HERE.

Latest reviews

This is a new-production razor available at numerous barber's supply stores. I got mine from Appleton Barber Supply for $52 (they also sell an Illinois #127 strop for $29, which is a relative bargain).

The razor appears to be made by Dovo, since it comes in a Dovo-style ABS slipcase. It's a carbon steel blade, and my example has gold wash on the tail and shank but not on the spine, and an attractive gold wash diamond on the blade containing the C-Mon name, and the C-Mon name and a red diamond on the shank. The butternut plastic scales have a blind 3rd pin that is probably an integral part of the moulding for the scales. The pivot is snug.

The spine and edge are both straight, which is sadly not guaranteed with modern razors, and the bevel seems to be a consistent width the whole length of the blade. However, the edge and spine are in slightly different planes which complicated honing a bit, though the razor honed up quickly using an "X" pattern.

I've shaved with it for about a week now and have been getting good shaves, and the edge seems to be holding up pretty well. It's certainly not going to win any awards, and the vintage C-Mon's are reputedly much better razors, but for the price this new razor seems to be a pretty good value.

attachment.php

Discuss this review HERE.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
3.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
3.00 star(s)