What's new

Boots Original Shave Stick 50g

Item Description

Widely available in the UK, cheap and long lasting. Comes in a sturdy plastic case which is very good for travelling.

Price: Can't remember exactly how much I paid but it was peanuts.

Quality: Fair quality product, for the price exceptional.

Scent: Very light, clean scent, seems slightly citrusy to me. I like it.

Lather: Not quite the quality of top end soaps/creams but at a fraction of the price you can't really expect that. Lathers quickly and easily, gave a good shave, seems to lubricate and cushion well. Once over and then a quick scrub with the brush gives plenty of lather for two passes; I'm sure there'd be enough for a third but four might be pushing it.

Efficacy: Does what it says on the packet, will give a good shave.

Moisturizing: This is where it fails. Left my skin feeling dry and tight - you need some sort of separate moisturizer after using this although it wouldn't be the end of the world if you didn't have any.

Overall, not something I'd use at home but I'm giving it serious consideration for use when away.

Latest reviews

Pros: Cost
Cons: Drying to the skin
This was the first shaving soap I used as a student in England 30 years ago when I graduated from the foam-in-a-can. It worked well enough - what did I know? It was the only real shaving soap I used. Now that I suffer from various shaving acquisition disorders I realize just how mediocre this is. It is hard to face lather and is drying to the skin. It is convenient for travel, but I don't plan to use it on a regular basis. Ah, the foolishness of youth.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
1.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
Pros: Cheap, light scent, holder
Cons: Burning sensation
This one is interesting. The lather is pretty good, very good even. It works really well with my hard water. I would even say that the lather is better than the Palmolive lather.

There's a catch however, that catch is that I have a slight burning sensation when using the product. Now, when I say slight, it means it's very mild (*very*). It's not enough for me to say I'm sending this stick to the garbage but it's enough for me to notice a difference with other soaps.

This is where this product is loosing a lot of points. If that light burning sensation wouldn't be there, it would be a lot higher. It's interesting that I do not get any redness or anything like it after I shave. I believe that some have the same burning sensation. I wouldn't qualify my skin to be extra sensible. I think I have a regular type skin and, as long as I don't do shenanigans, it's fine!

I've suspected one of the ingredients to be the issue which is the Benzyl Benzoate.

If the burning sensation wouldn't be there, it would be much higher in the list as this one works fairly well. It's still a cheap product considering. You should possibly avoid this one if you have sensitive skin.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Price
Cons: Container
Purchased from Pasteur Discount Pharmacy in NYC. Scent is OK but too light for me. My issue is the design of the stick container. You pull a cap off exposing the entire stick vs the antiperspirant style push and feed the stick up by small amounts.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)