What's new

Montale Black Aoud

Item Description

Let's start with longevity - don't put this stuff on if you don't want it to last, longevity is not an issue, it'll last twelve hours pretty well and linger beyond that. You won't even be able to wash it off and if you try to cover it up with another scent it'll just outlast the new one. It's also powerful stuff with good sillage (at first) but subtle too so it's not overpowering, later it's more of a skin scent but still distinct and strong close up.

When it first goes on the most noticeable component is a fairly unpleasant smell which has been described as medicinal (and I can understand why) but to me it smells more like the science labs in my old high school. This initial component lasts for about two hours but gradually the underlying oudh comes through.

I'll give you my best shot at explaining the smell of aoud but remember this is just my impression and I'm attempting to describe the indescribable:-

Sour - a kind of rotten sour (although not nastily rotten); also smooth and mellow; almost woody but not woody; with a gentle sweetness to it. A lovely exotic warm smell neither masculine nor feminine, because it doesn't fit into the western pigeon holes.

I really like it but this is one to wear for your own pleasure just because *you* like it and don't care if anybody else does, many people won't. Not one for the office or formal nights out.

As for price - very expensive! Is it worth it - we'll that you'll have to decide for yourself?

Latest reviews

Montale Back Aoud is a good scent but not complex or intriguing enough for me.

It starts off as a rose and stays that way, unfortunately for me it reminds me of the rose one would get from those Aromatherapy stores.

It's fairly strong and long lasting however I found C&S88 better.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Complexity
1.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
Thank you trewornan I was just getting ready to write a review on this one :mad3:
:lol:
Montale specialices in the use of two notes. Agarwood (Aoud) and Rose. What does Aoud smell like? It is medicinal, woody, smoky, animalic and musky. It is very unique and recognisable once you get to know it. The wearer definitely needs certain attitude to be able to pull it off. Agarwood oil is very expensive and Montale (even though they ask for almost 200 dollars for 100 ml.) is the economical alternative. This house offers Eau d Perfums, meaning that their scents are more concetrated than the average EDT.

To ahve a reference, I would say that Black Aoud is to montale what 88 is to C&S. Both scents are representative of their house. Both Scents work with Woods and dark roses. However, Black Aoud is not as refined as 88. It is less aristocratic and feminine, more middle eastern. BA is a rebel, definitely unique and gets a lot of attention, which is kind of paradoxical. Most of the times, unique and crowd pleaser scents are mutually exclusive, but with BA I have found a balance between the two.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
Let's start with longevity - don't put this stuff on if you don't want it to last, longevity is not an issue, it'll last twelve hours pretty well and linger beyond that. You won't even be able to wash it off and if you try to cover it up with another scent it'll just outlast the new one. It's also powerful stuff with good sillage (at first) but subtle too so it's not overpowering, later it's more of a skin scent but still distinct and strong close up.

When it first goes on the most noticeable component is a fairly unpleasant smell which has been described as medicinal (and I can understand why) but to me it smells more like the science labs in my old high school. This initial component lasts for about two hours but gradually the underlying oudh comes through.

I'll give you my best shot at explaining the smell of aoud but remember this is just my impression and I'm attempting to describe the indescribable:-

Sour - a kind of rotten sour (although not nastily rotten); also smooth and mellow; almost woody but not woody; with a gentle sweetness to it. A lovely exotic warm smell neither masculine nor feminine, because it doesn't fit into the western pigeon holes.

I really like it but this is one to wear for your own pleasure just because *you* like it and don't care if anybody else does, many people won't. Not one for the office or formal nights out.

As for price - very expensive! Is it worth it - we'll that you'll have to decide for yourself?
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)

Item information

Added by
trewornan
Views
Reviews
Last update

More in Fragrance (Reviews)

• Woodhue for Men
    Woodhue for Men is a masculine fragrance by Fabergé. The scent was...
  • Bulgari Pour Homme Soir
    Bulgari Pour Homme Soir by Bulgari is a Woody Floral Musk fragrance for...
  • Obsession for Men
    A fresh citrus explosion at the top notes (tangerine, grapefruit, lime...
  • Body Kouros
    Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for...
  • Paco Rabanne
    Paco Rabanne by Paco Rabanne is a Aromatic Fougere fragrance for men...

More from trewornan

Top Bottom