What's new

Acca Kappa 1869

Item Description

Acca Kappa is an Italian company whose founder, Hermann Krull, was as Italian as Juan Famenias Floris was English. Acca Kappa would probably have some royal warrants by now if the Italians did not abolished their royalty, which is unfortunate since their blazons are so cool.

Here’s the blurb: “The 1869 shaving cream has been developed with a purely vegetable based formula to ensure a rich luxurious shave. Enriched with moisturising coconut oil, glycerin, aloe and hemp oil, to leave skin smooth, hydrated and to protect against razor burn. English oak extract helps protect skin and improve its texture. Dermatologically tested.”

I’ll jump to the conclusion right now: Acca Kappa 1869 performs as well as any well-famed brands and the only reason you should buy it is its scent. It smells exactly like a high-class Dior’s Fahrenheit, and it actually smells better than the canned gel Fahrenheit itself. This is not a love-it-or-hate-it product as you can be very indifferent to Fahrenheit.

As far as I’m concerned, it’s the only cream I use these days besides my soaps. My Taylors and Trumpers and Truefitt stay unloved in a carton box. I also note that the 1869 soap, unlike the cream, is almond-scented.

Price
£15.00 for 125 ml. That’s stiff but worth it.

Quality
I have a complain to formulate about the cap. I turned it too much without being excessive and it cracked (see photo below).

The cream tends to separate. Sometimes when I press the tube, a sort of greasy oil comes first. It has no impact on the performance.

Scent
Carbon copy of Fahrenheit. Perfect in a cream.

Latherability
It doesn’t get a 10 because it’s not D.R. Harris, but it lathers great.

Efficacy
No different than your three T’s.

Moisturising
Not an issue for me, but those with very dry skin may find it imperfect.

Packaging
Nice old world atmosphere. I love it. The tube is still plastic.

Now the photos

You can see the crack.
displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php
displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Latest reviews

Pros: moisturising shave
Cons: price, better products for less money
I'm reviewing the tube, not the fabled tub which appears to be no longer made and a much better product.

Product lathers nice and gives a good moisurising shave. As stated above, the cream always seems to have separated so you get oil before cream every time. Does not effect performance, but not very pleasing for such a premium price.

Also, I tended to need more of this product for a rich lather than I do with others such as DR Harris or Trumpers.

Scent? I can barely smell it. I wouldn't know it was almond unless it said so on the label. With so many good almond scented creams out there, there's nothing to recommend this product.

For a product with such a high price tag and strong mythology built around it, this purchase was a major disappointment. A classic case of overpriced, over promised and under delivered.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I probably should start by making it clear that this is a review of the AK1869 tub NOT the tube.

Price Here in NZ there isn't a wide selection of products available in local shops so I buy online. I thought that the price was reasonable for what I expected to be a good quality product; I wasn't disappointed.

Quality Excellent! This is a well presented, good quality shaving cream. The ingredients used combine to produce an excellent cream.

Scent I've not experienced many almond fragranced creams. I wasn't taken with Cella but I do like this one. The scent in the tub is pleasant but it just explodes once lathered.

Latherability Magnificent! I soak my brush whilst showering, then squeeze it to remove most of the water. I swirl the brush around the tub, about three times is enough to load the brush, and set to bowl lathering. With a few drops of water the lather just builds up, giving me more than enough to properly lather my face with three passes.

Efficacy Really good. Feels great shaving, gives enough cushioning and lubrication to the blade and softens the whiskers.

Moisturising Properties Again we have a winner! My face still feels soft and smooth several hours after shaving and I don't use any sort of balm or lotion, just a good splash of AS.

Packaging The bowl looks modern and sits nicely on my bathroom shelf. There is a second inner lid, something I've also found with SMN's cream and Pre Shave Lotion. This adds to the sense of quality.

I used AK1869 two days running, the last shave of 7 for that blade on the first day and a fresh blade on the second day. The shave was superlative on both days.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
azmark;2375553 said:
I was surprised how little AK gets any buzz; it isn't the easiest to find unless you go to a AK boutique or online vendors have it in stock. The normal shaving members in the states don't stock it but I think there are a few across the pond that do. I've really narrowed my creams down since I'm a soaps person and even then it is thinned because I've "been around the block" and know what works for me. If the software doesn't contain lanolin or tallow their welcome is officially worn out.

Price:
I picked up my first tub at the boutique in Vegas at the Venetian months ago for about ~$34. I balked a bit at the price there but I really fell in love with the scent but also I rolled a pretty good "heater" so my wife and I got some goodies. After using it for a few months I knew this was a keeper so I looked for it online and found it from a Amazon vendor for $20 with free shipping. I picked up 3 more tubs so along with my abundance of inventory of a short rotation of products I'm stocked up if there should be any reformulation. It also comes in a 6.7 oz. tub so this is a no brainer.

Quality:
Are you kidding? After the first use I couldn't wait to get home after work to see what the ingredients were and came to see lanolin and karite butter! I nearly fell over because I also like IK very much but both of these. The consistency is equal to Castle Forbes, dense and should last a very long time.

Scent: 10
This is going to be the area where it may lose some folks. Unlike the original poster of the review I didn't catch any Dior Fahrenheit. It smells mirrored image to Cella but sweeter, a very nice almond scent. I love it!!! I've come to enjoy this scent since it 1. doesn't last 2. smells great 3. it has a short lifespan which is excellent because I don't care for many scents in my creams or soaps besides soapy or clean fragrance.

Latherability:
Like many lanolin and shea products I have and used this like water. I load my brush like a soap and twirl a few times to load the brush. Swirl as normal, adding little water at a time until you get the ratio down. Once it peaks it explodes into a lather bomb, creamy and slick.

Efficiency: 10
Since it is dense it lasts a long time and doesn't take much to use for a 3-4 pass shave. It comes in a 6.7 oz. container, huge. Larger than most creams.

Moisturizing:10
Pfff, please. Lanolin and Shea...nuff said. But I'll say a little more, face feels soft and supple. Never an issue with redness or dryness but I hardly ever have. There are some other nice ingredients like glycerine and cocoa.

Packaging: 10
The tub not tube is plastic, nothing fancy but it scores a 10 because of the color. The label is very lovely and better than most creams I've ran into. It has a great nostalgic feel because it seems a little rustic.

This and Musgo Real are the only creams I have extras of in my bathroom and has become the best cream I've used. The AK sales person in Vegas told me that the main folks at AK don't seem to push it as much as the soap with the bowl so my fear is of this being reformulated or cut out in the future.

I added a few pics but now realize I should have used another lather bowl other than white.

I agree with everything above. An incredibly smooth shave. It was worth the long wait to get this superior product.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)