What's new

Proraso Shaving Cream Soap...

I'm new to safety razor shaving and up to now, I have been using Edge Shaving Gel. I saw some Proraso shaving cream soap online (mentholated) and decided to buy that and a badger brush and a shaving bowl. What have been others experience when it comes to using Proraso?

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

Proraso is good stuff IMO. I have the Red and Green. I have also tried the Wood and Spice. You can’t go wrong with Proraso.

It's old reliable. It can't compete with a higher end product, but doesn't try to. It's reasonably priced and works well for what it is. And personally I think they have some great scents.

Haven't tried wood and spice (yet, I have a sample) or blue, but I've liked all the others so far. I use the white preshave pretty regularly.

It’s definitely a good intro soap. I prefer the performance of the red to the green, but they’re both good performers!

Proraso is my daily soap. I'll use something else (usually more expensive) once or twice a week, but I've never been tempted to switch regularly. I use both the green and red and they never disappoint. The other Proraso products are nice also, pre-shave, aftershave (balm and splash), etc.

Proraso is a solid performer that is (more than) fairly priced!! Definitely worth trying IMO.

(You should also try their AS, especially the ‘green’ which is a favorite here!) :a29:

I have the green tub and I'm a really big fan, I have also used the white in the tube/toothpaste package. I like the tub of the soaps better then the tube. Proraso lathers quickly, makes a nice foam regardless of brush type. The scent is really nice and clean as well. Some people think it's sub par compared to the artisan soaps that are out there, but honestly if I had to just use soap for the rest of my shaving life, it would be proraso.

As already mentioned you can't go wrong with it.
I would also highly recommend to try Bodyshop Maca Root. Highly available and imo top performance. And reasonable priced too.

I'm new to safety razor shaving and up to now, I have been using Edge Shaving Gel. I saw some Proraso shaving cream soap online (mentholated) and decided to buy that and a badger brush and a shaving bowl. What have been others experience when it comes to using Proraso? Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

I read a few threads in some forum - maybe this - and when I started I did exactly the same thing. I got Proraso red, a badger brush and a shaving bowl.

If I was going to do it now, 3 months later and with a lot more knowledge, I wouldn't do any of these things.
- sold the badger brush and bought a Yaqi synthetic, much easier to use and better lathering.
- sold the Proraso and started collecting much better artisan soaps from the likes of Grooming Dept., Wholly Kaw and Eufros
- changed to face lathering which I much prefer

If I compare my beginners experience with what I have now, it's up several levels. I wouldn't use anything else than the top tier artisan soaps, and my purchases of Tabac, Proraso, Cella and Arko lasted two shaves with each before they all went with no regrets.

I started with the Proraso Green in the tub 4 years ago. It got me started into traditional wet shaving and I really enjoyed it. I probably could have stuck with that and continued to be happily shaving. But, I fell down the shaving soap rabbit hole! I still use Proraso Green once in a while just for fun and it will provide an excellent shave. I now have WAY too many shaving soaps!

Enjoy the Proraso, @koreysmith! (and the badger brush. I have brushes of all sorts, but keep coming back to badger. 2-band badger in my case. I have WAY too many of those as well! :001_rolle)

And also don't forget to once in a while return to those that you don't like.
My experience is that what you think about soaps, or blades and razors, change over time.
For me, initially I really liked Proraso green, then I tried other soaps and started to dislike it. A couple of years later I returned to it and realized that it is actually good. Not the best, but could be a daily driver.
Another example is Maca Root, didn't like it at first, a year later it is my favorite of all, and I have some top tier artisans too to compare with.
Never get rid of anything before you've given it another chance is my tip!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have used the White tub, Green Tub and the Red tub. Love them all but I do favour the Red tub. Love the smell. Great on price as well.

Proraso is good stuff. That's why the company has been around for generations. The red is one of my favorite scents on Earth.

Same as others, I like Red quite a bit. Not the best, but excellent value and solid product. I did not like the White at all, but that was probably at least partially user error.

Top Bottom