Attachments

• CFA70BBE-2D7D-456C-B6C5-E49233624838.jpeg
    CFA70BBE-2D7D-456C-B6C5-E49233624838.jpeg
    725.5 KB · Views: 27
  • EC0AAAB5-D17D-461B-9EDC-9F66C73A429F.jpeg
    EC0AAAB5-D17D-461B-9EDC-9F66C73A429F.jpeg
    720.4 KB · Views: 24
This is mine.

Thanks for the reference photos. I am positive now the material in the threads is my issue so I should have the new one in a few days and I will report back. I am a big bakelite fan stemming from my love of AK type rifles from Russia and Germany so when I saw a modern bakelite razor was being manufactured I had to jump on it.

M

member 119848

Please let us know how the new replacement cap works.

The razor is tight indeed. But once tightened, it should look like Twelvefret´s pics.
FYI, when my razor was brand new, the first blade did scratch some material on the posts too. See pic below. Still now, my blades always get a bit bended on the contact points with the posts. Don´t worry about that.
EF15AA98-3B3E-48F8-BFC2-631A942D7539.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reference photos. I am positive now the material in the threads is my issue so I should have the new one in a few days and I will report back. I am a big bakelite fan stemming from my love of AK type rifles from Russia and Germany so when I saw a modern bakelite razor was being manufactured I had to jump on it.
Once you get it right you are going to love this little jewel. It requires an effortless/no pressure approach. I use Astra DE blades in mine. PAA is a good company and it sounds like they have good service. Enjoy!!

M

member 119848

This is a little jewel indeed!
Efficient, rigid, nimble, with plenty of audio feedback.
It´s actually a good thing, that the blade is held tight --> there is no blade alignement issue.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I use Ikon Tech, CG lvl3 and r41 as daily drivers. Both were too mild for me but I prefer the Game Changer. I had to use 2 shims and 3/4 to full turn on the Ascension. Both are smooth but in stock configuration the GC has more blade feel and is more efficient for me.
awesome review I'd love to hear more details!

It’s good, although to be honest I didn’t see a lot of difference from the old formula but then again I already liked the old formula to begin with. To be fair I have only used it once, hence my observation is premature.

I’m glad they are updating and upgrading their formula it can only benefit the consumers.

I use Ikon Tech, CG lvl3 and r41 as daily drivers. Both were too mild for me but I prefer the Game Changer. I had to use 2 shims and 3/4 to full turn on the Ascension. Both are smooth but in stock configuration the GC has more blade feel and is more efficient for me.
I agree that the GC has more blade feel than the PAA Ascension. IME though the efficiency is about the same.

Well I love the new formula! The lather is so creamy and the post shave feel is awesome. I have 2 Dopplegangers (Black and Oxblood) and the Will O Wisp in the CK6 formulas. Whatever shaving soap PAA makes from now on if there is CK6 option I will get that one.

I hope they make some of their other popular scents in the new base. Sangre de Drago is in my top favorite scents of all time. A slicker base in that, and I'd buy several tubs!

This has me intrigued! I have let my favorite PAA scents languish a little, because my favorite soaps are ones that let me skip afterhsave if I want to.

Wild West Shaving Co, Grooming Dept, Phoenix and Beau, and Southern Witchcrafts are the only ones that really stand up in that area. If CK6 ever becomes available in scents like Tombstone or Dapper Doc, I will be lost in the abyss!

Sangre De Drago in this new base sounds amazing! Love this scent but am not thrilled by the performance on the PAA soaps, although the CK base is a step up. Curious to see more opinions on this new base.

I have V1 and ordered the plates only for V2 today. Honestly I don't have an issue with the V1, but I do believe the plates could be of better design. I only used the Blue once, tried the Yellow, and never used the Blue again. The comments folks have made on the first batch of V2's have been pretty positive and I could not resist the OC option on the Emerald plate. They shipped out today, so it should be coming soon. I am looking forward to giving the new plates a whirl.
Steve

proxy.php

PAA Ascension
Sputnik (3)
Simpson Classic 2
Noble Otter BarrBarr Soap and Splash

My SS PAA Ascension arrived in the mail yesterday and I took her on her maiden journey this morning. All I can say is wow! But who are we kidding I will say more. I set the razor full tight and went to work, after the first few strokes I could tell this razor was something special, incredibly smooth, but highly efficient. The razor really shined on the bottom of my neck where I'm prone to razor bumps and redness. After three passes I had a BBS shave, with no irritation or redness. Now to compare the the two razors. The PAA Ascension is every bit as efficient, dare I say even more efficient than the GC .84. The Ascension shaves smoother, and is much more forgiving, with less naked blade feel. Where as the .84 can be prone to biting me. I don't think I could nick myself with the Ascension if I tried. Dialing in the shaving angle on the Ascension is a little more difficult to find but given the razors forgiveness and efficiency you will get an incredibly close and comfortable shave right out of the box. The bottom line is if I could only choose one, I would pay a little extra and get the SS PAA Ascension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom