What's new

I did it. I hate you guys.

Okay, so I finally broke down and ordered a tub of Martin De Candre and within 5 days it was sitting in my den.

69 dollars from France. Not bad when you consider some of the higher end soaps (looking at you Pennhaligons).

Anyway, I figured I should go with the original because if you're going to do a classic you may as well go all the way. I'm not a huge lavender fan so that was a minor concern. But I certainly don't hate it. And in my experience scents tend to grow on me. It's more important that I like the product that that I love the scent right off the bat.

Well, so far I've had one straight razor shave with it using my new chubby 2. The C2 isn't broken in yet (so they tell me) and may be a bit of a soap hog but I was very impressed with the lather. I did have to reload but that's not a problem for me. I'll just load more up front next time. I did maybe 30 seconds. I'll do a minute which seems about right for a soap of this density.

It's hard as a rock, smells pretty good in a classic kind of way (I think of it as French Tabac maybe ?) The lavender is very deep and earthy and has some minty, rosemary notes added (so they tell me) and I find it very soothing. Just medicinal enough to make me want to shave with it.

Oh, and the jar is classy. I'm planning on keeping the lid off for a while and allowing it to cure as per suggestions in the package. I suppose the scent will mellow but in the mean time it will make the room smell nice.

So yeah. I spent 70 bucks on a shave soap from France.
And I liked it.

Yeah, to me Tabac doesn't smell like it was created to make people compliment the scent. It seems like it was created to smell like you should save with it. This is similar to me. It's not something I'd want as a cologne really but during the shave it smells good to me.

I have no idea what to pair it with tbh. I just used osage rub because....menthol.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
@Ribeye there is a MdC PIF starting one December. It is in the General Shaving Forum. Sign up is open to all until that date. There May be a puck or two of Tabac being given out along the way and certainly some Mystic Water and Mike’s among others.
Just saying
marty

It's a fine soap no doubt, but I hated the scent, fougere in my case - so I ended up trading mine (I was told by someone who has both that original and fougere are almost identical scent, original being a bit "lighter").

Surprised you feel you need to load for a long time, for me using badger brush, it took no time to load for solid 2-3 passes. Great soap, but expensive given how many great products are out there that cost significantly less.

Enjoy it and yes it's expensive but what do we work for? A little indulgence once in a while is much deserved in my opinion. MDC is in my top 5 and I've got their Fougere and Rose and samples of all the rest of the soaps they make. Plus MDC are nice people Congrats!

They do seem like nice people.

I have a question, the sample they send with the jar is a little block of fougere. (labeled in pen, adorable)
Do you know if that's shave soap or bath soap ? I did drop them an email asking them but I'm waiting on the response.

It's a fine soap no doubt, but I hated the scent, fougere in my case - so I ended up trading mine (I was told by someone who has both that original and fougere are almost identical scent, original being a bit "lighter").

Surprised you feel you need to load for a long time, for me using badger brush, it took no time to load for solid 2-3 passes. Great soap, but expensive given how many great products are out there that cost significantly less.

You hated the French Tabac ?
I'm shocked !!!

Their Rose is my favorite shaving soap ever, but, boy, was it expensive. Shocked me into a buying sabbatical, and I love it, so it was worth it.

They do seem like nice people.

I have a question, the sample they send with the jar is a little block of fougere. (labeled in pen, adorable)
Do you know if that's shave soap or bath soap ? I did drop them an email asking them but I'm waiting on the response.

That's their bath soap. It smells the same as the Fougere shave soap, but don't try to shave with it, as it's not formulated for that.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
So yeah. I spent 70 bucks on a shave soap from France.
And I liked it.

proxy.php

Katy Perry Approved.

...I have no idea what to pair it with tbh. ...
These are the best MdC aftershave pairings that I have found:

Original- Speick or Myrsol Agua Balsamica
Fougere- LASSC Blackfern
Rose- D.R. Harris Pink
Vetyver- 50/50 Stirling Vetiver Witch Hazel & Aloe / Chiseled Face Natural
Argumes- Stirling Lemony Orange

You hated the French Tabac ?
I'm shocked !!!

Eh, Tabac is the one I never tried, so I can't tell, but if it's similar, it's not for me.
Scents are very subjective, I wanted to like this one really bad, given what I paid for it, sadly it just wasn't for me.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
MdC is great stuff, at least the Fougere I have is.

Another perspective: sure, $70 is a lot for a soap. Alarm!

But I probably bought four $30 soaps in a month without setting off any alarms...

You're quite arguably better off!

Enjoy the heck out of it - and for a long time!

AA

It is definitely a good soap. I rarely have to reload. I read on the instructions to add a little water and whip up again. Suprisingly, this worked well. Lather just seemed to appear out of no where.

Top Bottom