What's new

Paper straws suck!

My take is that B&B favors things that have stood the test of time.

A straw that doesn’t get you 10 minutes into a cup of iced coffee doesn’t fall in that category
That's a fair point. But it's the test of time and plastic that is the problem here (for some).

Does anyone actually use straws (paper or plastic) at home?

I had to use straws for a time at home (and everywhere else) while learning to adapt to new circumstances. The nerve that controlled the right side of my face/mouth/lips was severed leaving that side paralyzed. Next up was surgery to reassign the nerve that controlled the right side of my tongue, to integrate/free-range into the right side of my face. The results were that while i was trying to figure out how to drink from a glass and not pour the contents into my lap, which was probably one of the smaller of the resulting issues, i used a fat, reusable, plastic straw to drink everything.

Almost seven years on and still not able to purse/tension the lips enough on the right side to reliably drink out of a narrow necked bottle but most other vessels no issues as long as i'm paying some attention.

dave

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Confucius say, strawman argument.

Nietzsche say, "and when you look into the straw, the straw also looks into you."

Quite possibly it has nothing to do with straws at all, only conditioning people to accept absurdity - a social experiment.

Wasn't the idea proposed by a child?

AA

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks. And now a nasty thought: If a disposable toy/promotional item that can be used as a straw, but is packaged in a paper cover that says "For promotional use: Do not remove paper and do not insert in drink and do not suck beverage through it," does it count as a straw?

Only when used as a straw according to the definition as specified lol.

Sort of like radar detectors here. Legal to buy, legal to own, illegal to use. They only become a 'Radar Detector' when used to detect radar. If they're seen in use or detected by a radar detector detector lol, that'll be $495 please, oh, and we'll be seizing that legally owned device too because you used it as intended lol.

My favourite local café (independently owned and operated) uses paper straws that look like little birch tree trunks, and they can last for several uses, according to my son.
proxy.php

Hmm ... is something like birch bark toxic? If not, that might hold up better than paper.

BTW, bottle water is selling convenience more than water. I've a couple of nice aluminum bottles that were freebees and intended as substitutes for plastic water bottles. Just refill at a drinking fountain. OTOH, I've been in place where there weren't drinking fountains.

Confucius say, strawman argument.

Nietzsche say, "and when you look into the straw, the straw also looks into you."

Quite possibly it has nothing to do with straws at all, only conditioning people to accept absurdity - a social experiment.

Wasn't the idea proposed by a child?

AA

The question was asked by a child, who wondered how many plastic soda straws are used, and he contacted some manufacturers and made an estimate from that. Not bad, really, for a kid.

Only when used as a straw according to the definition as specified lol.

Sort of like radar detectors here. Legal to buy, legal to own, illegal to use. They only become a 'Radar Detector' when used to detect radar. If they're seen in use or detected by a radar detector detector lol, that'll be $495 please, oh, and we'll be seizing that legally owned device too because you used it as intended lol.

I've never understood that, since it places a local government in the same role as the FCC.

My take is that B&B favors things that have stood the test of time.

A straw that doesn’t get you 10 minutes into a cup of iced coffee doesn’t fall in that category

If we really want to go retro, we could use the same thing that was popular during the straight razor era: real straws of rye grass. OTOH, it was because they were deteriorating and messing up a guy's mint julep that we got paper straws in the first place.

BTW, bottle water is selling convenience more than water. I've a couple of nice aluminum bottles that were freebees and intended as substitutes for plastic water bottles. Just refill at a drinking fountain. OTOH, I've been in place where there weren't drinking fountains.

On this subject, when was the last time anyone saw a metal canteen for sale in a department store? Those were handy.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Baskin Robbins has to be fuming. How in the heck do you drink a chocolate malt with a paper straw?

That's the only thing that I've used a straw for except drinking soda when traveling in Latin/South America and Asia.

I think you've all guessed that The Veg is about as green as I get, and that didn't work out at all. But what happened to paper coffee cups? Remember those? You got them at coffee vending machines and bought them at stores. Some had two paper handles that folded flat against the cup, and you could fold them out to keep your hand cool. They didn't keep coffee hot, but wouldn't think that non-foam plastic cups do, either.

Never got into straws for coffee or iced tea. Disposable coffee cups here are Styrofoam - but the closest to Starbucks around here is a convenience store. Haven't seen vending machine coffee in several years, and was so tired then I don't remember if the cup was paper or not.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I think you've all guessed that The Veg is about as green as I get, and that didn't work out at all. But what happened to paper coffee cups? Remember those? You got them at coffee vending machines and bought them at stores. Some had two paper handles that folded flat against the cup, and you could fold them out to keep your hand cool. They didn't keep coffee hot, but wouldn't think that non-foam plastic cups do, either.

Never got into straws for coffee or iced tea. Disposable coffee cups here are Styrofoam - but the closest to Starbucks around here is a convenience store. Haven't seen vending machine coffee in several years, and was so tired then I don't remember if the cup was paper or not.

They're all paper/cardboard here.

TIM-HORTONS-CUP.jpg

I havent seen a styrofoam cup in use here for ....years.

In Japan, they still frequently have the paper cup coffee vending machines. No foldback handles. I do remember those, though.

Right.

But in a curiously related subject: how are kids today supposed to learn the fine art of shooting spitballs in class with a a damn paper straw?

I smell a conspiracy brewing:
  • They (the ubiquitous THEY, you realize...) want to ban plastic straws for "environmental concern"
  • Kids are now relegated to trying to use paper straws to drink with at the cafeteria, and are also "conveniently" rendered inoperable for shooting spitballs during afternoon classes.
  • Osteoporosis becomes widespread due to the inability to drink milk at lunch.
  • A whole generation of youngsters are deprived first hand knowledge of the joys of projectile weaponry.
  • The 2nd Amendment is undermined
  • Commies roam the streets unchecked
i learned spit balls with paper straws

Top Bottom