What's new

Paper straws suck!

Scroll to the last two lines on the page you linked.

Food Package Requirements — Seattle Public Utilities

Ordinance 122751 - Food Packaging Disposables Ban (EPS Ban too)
Ordinance 123307 - Food Packaging Disposables Ban (EPS Ban too)

Thanks. And now a nasty thought: If a disposable toy/promotional item that can be used as a straw, but is packaged in a paper cover that says "For promotional use: Do not remove paper and do not insert in drink and do not suck beverage through it," does it count as a straw?

Makes sense. My folks used to, but only for iced coffee. I've wished I've had them in the house when afflicted with hiccups, but otherwise can do without.

We do pay extra in our city to have a recycling (which we do) and we wash the plastic straws after dinner with our other dishes. They only get tossed when they no longer function.

Makes sense. My folks used to, but only for iced coffee. I've wished I've had them in the house when afflicted with hiccups, but otherwise can do without.

Iced coffee....iced coffee....EXACTLY!

Somethings just require the right tool for the job.

So what does this have to do with plastic straws? Here is a question, what qualifies as a 'bar / restaurant'? If you eat at Shake Shack, is that a fast food (exempt) or a bar / restaurant?

Well when I had a concealed carry license in California, and yes, those do exist. They defined a bar as an establishment that makes over 51% of it sales with alcohol. So I guess I was supposed to look over the books of any restaurant with alcohol served?

So with the straws are they going to have forensic accountants try and see if you had for a while over 51% of your sales alcohol and send you jail for six months and fine you $1000? Laugh all you want, but if you have known a business owner in California it's not that much of a hyperbole.

If paper is so great why do they get rid of books?

And if plastics are on the way out then I'd hate to see what cars are going to look like. lol

My favourite local café (independently owned and operated) uses paper straws that look like little birch tree trunks, and they can last for several uses, according to my son.
proxy.php

In my town, no word of a lie, it is against the law to sell individual sized bottles of water.
Not a lot of sympathy here. :whistling:
I don't understand how they can sell what is essentially municipal tap water for more than the price of gasoline.
I can see some need for them though, in situations like disaster zones or outdoor concerts. I just object to the price per liter.

In my province there is a 10¢ surcharge for beverage containers, and you can take them to depots for a refund. It includes water bottles, soda bottles, juice boxes or cartons, and aluminum beverage cans.

Does anyone actually use straws (paper or plastic) at home?
Yup.
I keep a few 10 mm plastic straws for soda/ice cream floats, and smoothies.
I have a few normal diameter plastic straws cut down to 6" for large mugs of hot chocolate. It serves as a stir stick and keeps it off my 'stache.
I also have a straw-cleaning brush for washing them, and reuse them for months at a time.

Last edited:
Yup.
I keep a few 10 mm plastic straws for soda/ice cream floats, and smoothies.
I have a few normal diameter plastic straws cut down to 6" for large mugs of hot chocolate. It serves as a stir stick and keeps it off my 'stache.
I also have a straw-cleaning brush for washing them, and reuse them for months at a time.
The drinks in your home are much better than mine! And good on you and yours for reusing the straws.

We have a robust recycling program and state of the art incineration of trash in my county. I dig it and I am glad the investment was made. It is a bit of work meeting the cleanliness requirements along with the breaking down and separation of items.

Normally, B&B seems to favor all things nostalgic. I guess that doesn't include paper straws.

My take is that B&B favors things that have stood the test of time.

A straw that doesn’t get you 10 minutes into a cup of iced coffee doesn’t fall in that category

Top Bottom