What's new

What's Cooking 2018?

Thanks Aaron! The beetles love arugula and radish tops just like our rabbit. Purely cosmetic damage in the case of the beetles, the leaves are delicious...
dave

i only grill/cook hamburgers when there's a tomato growing in the garden big enough to be worthy of a hamburger. Todays offering, first of the year is a 394g/almost 14 oz, Dwarf Scarlet Heart, suppose to be a 90 day variety, a whole lot earlier then that.

For three of us i've always bought 600g of hamburger to make six patties, two meals worth, even then when my daughter was a kid my wife and daughter would split one per meal. A 100g patty gets swamped, disappears in a regular size bun so we contacted the bakery around the corner from my saturday market journey and they did us an order of slider buns which we then sized our 100g patties to, worked out well. First burgers i've cooked on the kettle.

From the neighbourhood market this morning my wife bought our first cobs of corn for the season, a sweet bi-colour.

Dressed burger with arugula, Danish Blue Cheese - inexpensive and delicious, Vidalia onion, house dill pickles, Hellman's, sweet relish, smoky/sweet mustard, slice of that tomato. Steames cob of corn and Miss Vickies' salt n' vinegars on the side.

Bottomless bottle of house red...

Puff pastry Plum Tarts with real ice cream, vanilla

Justin Townes Earle - Kids in the Street

file-12.jpeg
file2-5.jpeg
file3-3.jpeg
file4-2.jpeg
file6.jpeg

... and still no rain to speak of...
file5-1.jpeg

dave

Last edited:
My alarm just went off to remind me to take the bread out of the oven.
Three loaves using white flour plus a cup of whole wheat and a cup of oatmeal.

When it cools off I shall try a slice or two with some Smucker's No Sugar Added Orange Marmalade.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
My alarm just went off to remind me to take the bread out of the oven.
Three loaves using white flour plus a cup of whole wheat and a cup of oatmeal.

When it cools off I shall try a slice or two with some Smucker's No Sugar Added Orange Marmalade.
Pictures or it didn't rise.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
OhThatLooksGood, John.

Since it's been a bit on the warm side here, I made something simple and cool tonight.

Some diced up grilled chicken breast from a couple of days ago.

DSC_0001 (2).JPG

Incorporated into a chicken salad.

DSC_0006.JPG

Served with some pasta salad with home-made Creamy Italian Dressing, along with some home-canned dill pickles and some cherries and grapes.

DSC_0012 (2).JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

Another of the years only when the garden is producing meals. Our first Niçoise Salad, from the garden, mesclun, tomatoes and filet beans, canned tuna in olive oil, anchovies, market Kalamata olives, eggs and mini potatoes. Balsamic glaze, EVOO with herbs. Tastes like summer.

file-15.jpeg

dave

Thanks Marty! Only a couple of times per year while the garden's going full tilt, grilled tuna steak is a nice way to go instead of the canned.
dave

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Last night was "Paleo" meatballs. We're not really following the Paleo diet but I was out of breadcrumbs so I made these oven baked versions...

Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 7.19.34 AM.png

2 parts ground beef to 1 part ground pork, garlic, oregano, parsley, crushed red pepper, an egg

Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 7.18.47 AM.png

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Good job BT. I love homemade meatballs.

Thanks Aaron. I liked them, more importantly SWMBO liked them! Next time I'll make a full batch and freeze a bunch. Love having something easy to grab out of the freezer. Thinking I may add some grated parm to the mix next time, we'll see...

Last edited:
1C79B498-9259-4EFB-9A89-28C3D4B71E37.jpeg
F4D01311-FD11-499E-B329-CCAD22ED7084.jpeg
Brisket tonight! Came out good.
Salt, pepper and coffee crust.
My better half made a really good salad; avocado, tomato, cucumber, red onion, mozzarella, pesto. Delicious!

No pics today but a rack of lamb with a za'atar crust. I also did a couple of extra cutlets marinaded in a sort of Arabic mix with harissa, lemon, cinnamon garlic and coriander. And a big glass of Bordeaux.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
i only grill/cook hamburgers when there's a tomato growing in the garden big enough to be worthy of a hamburger. Todays offering, first of the year is a 394g/almost 14 oz, Dwarf Scarlet Heart, suppose to be a 90 day variety, a whole lot earlier then that.

For three of us i've always bought 600g of hamburger to make six patties, two meals worth, even then when my daughter was a kid my wife and daughter would split one per meal. A 100g patty gets swamped, disappears in a regular size bun so we contacted the bakery around the corner from my saturday market journey and they did us an order of slider buns which we then sized our 100g patties to, worked out well. First burgers i've cooked on the kettle.

From the neighbourhood market this morning my wife bought our first cobs of corn for the season, a sweet bi-colour.

Dressed burger with arugula, Danish Blue Cheese - inexpensive and delicious, Vidalia onion, house dill pickles, Hellman's, sweet relish, smoky/sweet mustard, slice of that tomato. Steames cob of corn and Miss Vickies' salt n' vinegars on the side.

Bottomless bottle of house red...

Puff pastry Plum Tarts with real ice cream, vanilla

Justin Townes Earle - Kids in the Street

View attachment 899171 View attachment 899172 View attachment 899173 View attachment 899174 View attachment 899175
... and still no rain to speak of...
View attachment 899176
dave
There are few things better than a good tomato. There are few things worse than a bad tomato. When I order burgers, I never get tomatoes, because they are always crap. The company had an In N Out catering truck here a few weeks ago. I decided to chance it. The meat was decent, the tomato was total garbage. For a company with such a reputation, you would think they would buy something other than typical grocery store tomatoes. I need to pop off to the Farmer's Market- this time of year they have fantastic beefeaters, which are excellent on a BLT.

There are few things better than a good tomato. There are few things worse than a bad tomato. When I order burgers, I never get tomatoes, because they are always crap. The company had an In N Out catering truck here a few weeks ago. I decided to chance it. The meat was decent, the tomato was total garbage. For a company with such a reputation, you would think they would buy something other than typical grocery store tomatoes. I need to pop off to the Farmer's Market- this time of year they have fantastic beefeaters, which are excellent on a BLT.

Owen i remember your truck picture, quite the rig! Fortunately decent burger shops have lots of options sans tomatoes and i always go with... well if there's a blue cheese offering, i'm a broken record... had this grilled rapini, blue cheese, onion ring and roasted garlic aioli version recently at a new to us place, really hit the spot! Save my burger/tomato experiences for home where i know exactly what i'm getting into.

dave

Top Bottom