What's new

Range rounds

Whatever I can find for about 1/3 the price of the anmunition I usually carry. I avoid reloads and ammunition made in countries located in parts of the world with which I am unfamiliar by manufacturers who have no or very few vowels in their name.......

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Like most have said...usually the cheapest practice kind I can find that I know is decent quality. Usually Winchester White Box at Wallyworld when I buy just one box or two.

Thanks for the SGAmmo link, buddy! I usually order from Sportsman's Guide, Able Ammo, or such when I order what's not in stock here. I need some .38, .45, 16 and 20 gauge and I'll check them out. I do have a few hundred rounds of .38 fired cases that I need to get at least resized, de-capped, and primed. I have 100 158gr. bullets, 1000 small pistol primers, and enough Unique powder for a few rounds. I need to get more components.

Speaking of economical ammo...the most outrageous thing I've ever seen was at a pawn shop during the ammo shortage. I had heard of what they were doing...sending several employees to Wallyworld of a morning when shipments came in and they bought all they were allowed then brought them back to the shop for resale.

I was in there one time looking at their overpriced used guns and asked what a box of 50 hardball for .45acp was...$80 for a box that should have cost $20.

I haven't been back.

My carry round is 9mm 124gr HST +P. I load my own ammo for the range and run through 600-800 rounds a week. I don’t load +P ammo for the range.

I use cheapest available in brass or aluminum case as well. I have found a great place to buy it locally. I get 3-400 for each range visit. I have not found any that my collection of 9mm pistols won’t eat reliably, but I don’t buy the cheapest steel case ammo.

similar to your defensive rounds in recoil and impact point.

For the longest time I just used any old 124g rounds, seeing as how I used 124g HSTs for defensive use.

Then, when on sale, I picked up some Winchester 124g NATO just to try it. Now, this is a stout round!

Just for grins I decided to see how it matched up with the other 124s I've used as well as the HSTs. Went to the range with all my 124g samples as well as the HSTs and, long story short, discovered that everything I had been using had far less recoil than the HSTs, but the Winchester 124g NATO was indistinguishable from the HSTs. I even alternated HSTs and the Winchesters in the same mag and could not tell the difference. Now I just use the 124g NATOs for practice.

Will it make a difference in a defensive shooting? Dunno! But I like that my practice rounds feel exactly the same as the defensive rounds do in the recoil department.

I find the Blazer Brass 124g function well, and hit virtually the same point. Dirty as heck, but frequently the cheapest thing you can find.

Funny, I've shot a bunch of this Blazer and never thought of it as particularly dirty. Now, the Winchester mentioned above, though, is much, much dirtier. Yikes.

I tend to stick with Blazer, PMC and IMI with IMI being my favorite. SGammo, Midway and Natchez are the typical places I order from. You should be able to consistently find 1000 rounds for $180-$200 shipped right now. I recommend subscribing to each site for their notifications.

I don't shoot near as much as I should, but I usually use reload FMJ rounds from Freedom Munitions at the range. I also use their house branded new Hornady XTP rounds for home/self defense. They have never given me an issue. I have used the Winchester white box ammo from Walmart before, I only had one failure to eject, but that was probably use error to be honest.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Thanks for all of the suggestions, Gents! I've messed with quite a few options. Currently, I'm toying with Speer, Fiocchi, and Federal rounds, and trying to figure out what compliments me, the way I shoot, and my gun the most.

I normally buy middle of the road priced range ammo. For defensive ammo, I always go with Critical Defense, if it is good enough for our State Troopers, it is good enough for me! Besides, with that, any defense lawyer (if ever needed) can always say that I carry the exact same ammo as our State Police do.

my Sigs do not like really cheap ammo. at a minimum I shoot WWB (winchester white box) when i go to the range I will typically go through 1-3 hundred rounds of WWB and then 50 rounds of my defense ammo

Top Bottom