What's new

Range rounds

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
What do you guys use when practicing at a range? Do you go for the cheapest stuff that you can find, or what you would use in a defensive situation? I don't really practice with my rifle or shotguns, and I've never had a need to. I can hit what I'm aiming for with them. I just keep on using what I was introduced to, and it's been fine for me.

I'm not as confident with my pistol capabilities since I'm fairly inexperienced with handguns, and I have no 9mm suggestions other than what I've hashed together from general "best 9mm range rounds" searches.

What would you guys suggest?

I load my own. It is the only way I can afford to shoot as much as I do. 12-15k rounds of centerfire handgun ammo a year is not uncommon.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
When I was shooting my .44 Mag all the time, indoor loads were 4 grains Bullseye and a 240 grain hard cast lead SWC. That load from the 6" barrel gave 400fps mv.

The same bullet and 24 grains H110/ww296 gave 1450fps. The Hornady 300 grain and 21 grains H110/ww296 gave 1230fps.

Shooting the light load outdoors at 25-50 yards against a white background, you could see the bullet in flight lol.

I did load some, I think 5 or 6 grain loads of Bullseye in my Taurus .40S&W, but I dont like that powder in semis. Its a bit hard on them I think.

Alliance lists 4 1/2 - 5 grains Bullseye for the 9mm.

Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

Bullseye is a very fast powder. Not the best choice if you're shooting IPSC or high volume I dont believe.

When shooting any of my carry guns, cheapest you can get, similar to your defensive rounds in recoil and impact point. I always finish a trip to the range with a few of the carry rounds to verify they function flawlessly and hit the same point I was practicing.

I find the Blazer Brass 124g function well, and hit virtually the same point. Dirty as heck, but frequently the cheapest thing you can find.

A fun shoot, anything I can reload cheap. Revolvers are not fussy, but have to load the semi's warm enough to properly function.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Buy 3 times as much ammo for training or fun (ball, FMJ, etc) then you would specifically designed ammunition for self defense. (Hollow Point, Frangible)

Walmart is the usual place many go to shop for reasonably priced, individual boxes of practice/training/fun ammo, for a typical day at the range, but Walmart likes to put a limit on what you can purchase at one time.

Academy Sports, Cabela's and Military Surplus stores, is where I look for the best B&M prices to buy in bulk FMJ ammo.

While I shoot most often for training on duty, I do shoot occasionally off duty for recreation. The major portion of 9mm bulk i find, is Winchester white box, Blazer Brass, Serbian & Czech brass military surplus.

I keep 1 USGI green can of SD 9mm of various manufacturer designs and whims. If it's name brand SD HP's and I find a heck of a sale/deal? I won't pick up a pizza, or a donut or a Dr. Pepper for a few days and instead waste my hard earned misc. dollars on a couple of boxes of the good stuff to put away.

I will also shoot aluminum cased ammo from my pistols which can be had pretty cheap, but I will not subject my pistol extractors to steel cased ammo which is much harder on them then brass or aluminum. I'll shoot steel case from AR's all day, basically because of the simple fact that a USGI AR extractor is about $5 to replace and a Glock extractor is about $20. the price of 5 extractors here and there can add up.

IMI (israeli military industries) currently has alot of surplus bulk flooding the American market right now if you want to jump in and get your feet wet. It's really good stuff on the cheap.

While you don't need to be an ammo hoarder, keeping some supply around the house and rotating the dates of old to new in a metal box with some silica dessicate, is a good idea for like, last minute going to the range or when ammo prices fluctuate because of possible financial, social, unknown, climates? *cough* um.. yeah, *sniff*

Or maybe just because your daily horoscope said so, or, just for no reason, or whatever. Always remembering, an empty gun is just an expensive club. :)

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Erik, +1 everything Rob just said ... Blazer, or Winchester white box (WWB, in the parlance) is most common 9mm.

An option is to get 1,000 delivered mail order, once you find one you like.

If self-defense was a reason for purchase, you also need to settle on a SD round you like, and stock it too.

And you need at least five magazines, IMO. Use them ALL at the range, to eliminate any problems.

AA

I'm not as confident with my pistol capabilities since I'm fairly inexperienced with handguns, and I have no 9mm suggestions other than what I've hashed together from general "best 9mm range rounds" searches.

What would you guys suggest?

Go here. This is where I buy all of my target ammo:

SGAmmo.com | Family Owned and Operated Ammo Sales, Stillwater OK

You're going to get all kinds of answers from everyone on this, but I kind of look "mid range" on the quality scale, based on brand and word of mouth from other shooters. The cheapest is not always the best. I refuse to use Blazer or PMC because it's filthy, and I've had some case quality issues (improper seating of bullets, primarily). Some ranges will not allow you to shoot steel cased ammo or bullets which rules out a lot of stuff from Eastern Europe. I like to shoot the same weight bullet that I'll use as a defensive round, and with 9mm, that is 124 grain. If you go to the website I linked here, you'll find a lot of choices, but some brands I'd recommend would be Federal American Eagle (.19 cents rd. per 1000), Speer Lawman (.18 cents rd. per 1000), or MEN from Germany (.20 cents rd. per 1000). Of the three, if you really want a treat, get the MEN. It is gorgeous; I'm serious... the stuff looks like jewelry. I'd look killer with a necklace or a vest made out of these cartridges!

S&G is a very reliable dealer. The stock fluctuates, but he gets resupplied on a regular basis. Shipping is fast and dependable. I feel like a knucklehead giving away my favorite ammo supplier, but you deserve a good, and fair start with your new shooting adventure.

Don

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I mostly shoot Winchester white box or my own reloads. I carry 124 gr Gold Dots so my reloads are with 124 gr copper plated (cheaper than jacketed) over enough Blue dot to make about 1000-1100-ish FPS. Once you decide on a defensive load to carry, you don't have to practice extensively with it but be sure to run a 100 to 200 rounds of it through your gun to ensure reliability and familiarity with it.

I hand load everything. Ammo and component prices in Canada are shocking. 1lb powder approx $55. Primers $60/1000. .45acp factory $45/50 rounds. I shoot cast in my .45 at full factory loads. I shoot mainly cast gas check bullets in my big boomers, 375H&H, 416 Rem., and .458 Win. They're a lot more fun when they don't beat the heck out of you. FYI -I made my .458 on a Mauser 98 with a 1 in 22" twist (same as a 45/70) barrel so it would shoot cast better than the stock 1 in 14" twist. I call it a .45/90 belted nitro express. Sounds cooler than a .458 win. 500gr cast at 1750fps duplicates the old 45/120 Sharps. All three rifles have never had a factory round through them.

I use Winchester target rounds at the range when shooting 9 mm. I keep the defensive rounds at home, although I will use them as they age and get replaced. It keeps the cost down a little.

Sent via Tapatalk

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I hand load everything. Ammo and component prices in Canada are shocking. 1lb powder approx $55. Primers $60/1000. .45acp factory $45/50 rounds. I shoot cast in my .45 at full factory loads. I shoot mainly cast gas check bullets in my big boomers, 375H&H, 416 Rem., and .458 Win. They're a lot more fun when they don't beat the heck out of you. FYI -I made my .458 on a Mauser 98 with a 1 in 22" twist (same as a 45/70) barrel so it would shoot cast better than the stock 1 in 14" twist. I call it a .45/90 belted nitro express. Sounds cooler than a .458 win. 500gr cast at 1750fps duplicates the old 45/120 Sharps. All three rifles have never had a factory round through them.

Nice! (though I don't think OP reloads. Yet).

I cast .451s (RN and Keith-style) for .45 ACP and .45 Colt; still searching for the right rifle for these same cast slugs ... though I can drive 'em with a black MMC sabot out of a .50 Optima at decent speeds.

AA

Esox

I didnt know
For loaded rounds, you might try the local gun shop that caters to the club crowd. Gobles Gun Shop local to me carries, or at least use to carry, a line of once fired reloads made by a local guy at a considerable savings. Its been a few years since I've bought any but I still have a few hundred kicking around...

The only markings on the box.

IMG_2491.JPG IMG_2490.JPG IMG_2492.JPG

Ad Astra

The Instigator
$200 for 1,000 rounds of 115 gr. CCI/Speer seems to be the going rate.

With free shipping at that *one* place ...

AA

Esox

I didnt know
Kind of high for reloads. S&G provides better savings for the factory stuff. $4 to $5 cheaper for a box of 50.

Don

P.S. - Ooops! That's Canadian money, I presume. Savings might be there after all!

Thats Canadian yeah, but also about 10 years ago. Not sure what they'd be now.

I also use to buy the odd box of Federal American Eagle, but there were far fewer options then compared to now.

Milsurp is another option if available, but were 1000 round cases only here in 9x19 and 7.62x34.

Shoot as many brands and loads as you can find to know what will work and what will choke in your pistol.

The more odd ball ammo you can cycle through without malfunction the happen you will be.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Freedom Munitions Is a good site when they have the ammo you want in stock. I’ve shot both their 9mm remanufactured and new stuff. As good as anything else IMO.

I typically go for the cheapest I can find for range use. I prefer brass.

I took the 45lc to a friends house a few years ago. All I could find in the local stores was the Hornady Critical Defense 45LC. For target practice!. My friend refused to shoot them. “I can’t shoot those in to the ground”. I, on the other hand, had no problem blasting 6 rounds in the target. Neither did his wife.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Jim gave me a good tip...he said keep a range log. Log the ammo brand, grain, rounds shot, etc. This way you’ll know what your pistol likes. Note any jams and what not. Also number your mags so you’ll know what mags work, or need cleaning, or....something like that. Just easier to keep track. I keep a log in my range bag.

Although, I must admit....I’m guilty of not logging everything.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I took the 45lc to a friends house a few years ago. All I could find in the local stores was the Hornady Critical Defense 45LC. For target practice!.

Probably a buck a round or (likely) way more.

I don't reload every caliber I shoot, but I couldn't buy .45 Colt dies and .451 molds fast enough!

The Starline brass never wears out, and since I've gotten many-many pounds of lead free, my cost per round is what ... .10-.15 tops. It's got to be the easiest round to reload.

However, OP, 9mm is still one of the cheapest. Hardly a need to reload it. Save your brass, though.

AA

Top Bottom