What's new

Ready to give Straights a try.

Several months ago I bought a Wade & Butcher Straight razor at an antique store. Two weeks ago I finally sent it to Larry at The Whipped Dog for honing, and a rescale. It came back to me yesterday, and I'm going to try it out on Saturday morning. This will be my first shave with a straight razor, any advise for a newbie? I have been using a shavette sporadically since October.
Here are a few pics.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Enjoy the time as you learn a new way to shave. Well, technically it is a very old way to shave. I am early in my SR learning myself and I think you will really enjoy it.

Sent via Tapatalk

Very nice razor. Google

Chimensch's 30 anniversary shaving video

It was a great help to me and many others. Classic.

I understand shavette to be much less forgiving, so you’ll probably be ok. I’m going to be having my 6th SR shave myself tomorrow. Some things people have suggested that helped are:

- Of course take your time
- Don’t skimp on the prep
- Make sure your lather is slicker than is normal for DE shaves
- I’ve learned to not use preshave oil with SR, it slows the glide for me
- 1-2 spine widths off the skin is a good angle
- Stretch the skin when able, the flatter and smoother you can make a surface the better
- Pay attention to what your face and shave are telling you, don’t feel like a wuss if you abort a stroke because something feels off
- Keep at it, otherwise you’ll never learn

In addition to making sure your lather is slick is if you think it’s too wet and sloppy then it’s perfect.

Thank for all advise, I am really looking forward to Saturday. I'm skipping tonight and Fridays shave. Then up early on Saturday so I can take my time to enjoy the experience.

My first SR shave is in the books.
I'm pleased to say it was a good shave. The blade was a bit tuggy at first, so I added more water to my soap. This helped but was still a little tuggy. I believe this to be more of a operator problem, I didn't strop the razor before the shave as I have never stropped a razor before and I didn't want to screw up the edge before I had a chance to shave with it. I did strop after I finished. I did a two pass shave, with the grain and against the grain. I couldn't find the right angle for an across the grain pass. I wish I could say there was no blood with this shave, but I can't. I gave myself two little nicks while going AG on my upper lip.
The end results were great, I got a DFS from this razor, and no irritation. I will use it again tomorrow. As with all things the more I shave with it the better I will get with it. Once again thanks for all the helpful input.

Sounds like a good first shave, notwithstanding a couple of nicks. It's all about routine and practice and it takes time.

You might just do two passes with the grain to start until working out all the angles of your face feels a bit more natural.

T

My first SR shave is in the books.
I'm pleased to say it was a good shave. The blade was a bit tuggy at first, so I added more water to my soap. This helped but was still a little tuggy. I believe this to be more of a operator problem, I didn't strop the razor before the shave as I have never stropped a razor before and I didn't want to screw up the edge before I had a chance to shave with it. I did strop after I finished. I did a two pass shave, with the grain and against the grain. I couldn't find the right angle for an across the grain pass. I wish I could say there was no blood with this shave, but I can't. I gave myself two little nicks while going AG on my upper lip.
The end results were great, I got a DFS from this razor, and no irritation. I will use it again tomorrow. As with all things the more I shave with it the better I will get with it. Once again thanks for all the helpful input.

Congrats!

I’ve actually noticed that like some DE blades, my razor (likely coupled with improved technique) has reached a sweet spot since my first shave with it in “shave ready” condition. Through shaves and stropping it still provides a great shave but is slightly more forgiving and not quite as grabby, even though it doesn’t feel as sharp as the first day.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
You probably noticed that a straight razor does not do it all for you, effortlessly, the way a shavette with a blistery sharp half DE blade does. Well, it CAN, but most razors are not honed to that degree of sharpness. You will have to stretch harder to make the whiskers stand up more firmly, and use a good bit more force in stroking the razor, maybe slightly more pressure on the face. One technique that will increase your razor's cutting power is adding a bit of slice to your stroke. Maybe try that about 5 or 6 shaves in, since you are already experienced with the shavette. You can also improve your edge considerably, with proper use of a properly set up progression of pasted balsa strops. In the case of your W&B I would start with 1u diamond, then .5u, .25u, and finally .1u diamond. The .1u will also be your daily post shave treatment. It is kind of hard to tell much feedback from the balsa, but if you just go 50 light laps on each grit and try the shave, you will probably be in the zone. If not, do the whole routine again. See this thread for the details. If you don't do it right it won't help very much.

You were correct in not stropping before your first shave, since the razor was shipped in shave ready condition, but you will have to strop before every shave from now on out. Most of us go about 50 laps on clean hanging leather. I also go 50 laps post shave on balsa with .1u diamond, and this keeps my edges horrifyingly sharp.

Be sure and watch a few youtube videos before stropping your razor. Doing it wrong will degrade the edge rather than improve it.

Congrats!

I’ve actually noticed that like some DE blades, my razor (likely coupled with improved technique) has reached a sweet spot since my first shave with it in “shave ready” condition. Through shaves and stropping it still provides a great shave but is slightly more forgiving and not quite as grabby, even though it doesn’t feel as sharp as the first day.
I agree, this is a learning experience. When I first started DE shaving it took me a while to get my technique down.

You probably noticed that a straight razor does not do it alI for you, effortlessly, the way a shavette with a blistery sharp half DE blade does. Well, it CAN, but most razors are not honed to that degree of sharpness. You will have to stretch harder to make the whiskers stand up more firmly, and use a good bit more force in stroking the razor, maybe slightly more pressure on the face. One technique that will increase your razor's cutting power is adding a bit of slice to your stroke. Maybe try that about 5 or 6 shaves in, since you are already experienced with the shavette. You can also improve your edge considerably, with proper use of a properly set up progression of pasted balsa strops. In the case of your W&B I would start with 1u diamond, then .5u, .25u, and finally .1u diamond. The .1u will also be your daily post shave treatment. It is kind of hard to tell much feedback from the balsa, but if you just go 50 light laps on each grit and try the shave, you will probably be in the zone. If not, do the whole routine again. See this thread for the details. If you don't do it right it won't help very much.

You were correct in not stropping before your first shave, since the razor was shipped in shave ready condition, but you will have to strop before every shave from now on out. Most of us go about 50 laps on clean hanging leather. I also go 50 laps post shave on balsa with .1u diamond, and this keeps my edges horrifyingly sharp.

Be sure and watch a few youtube videos before stropping your razor. Doing it wrong will degrade the edge rather than improve it.
True, the shavette seemed to cut with less effort, but the SR even with the tuggy feeling felt smoother with 0 irritation. My face felt great afterward. Also little sting from the aftershave.
I had watched many stropping videos, and I did strop after I shaved. I am going to order a balsa strop.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
True, the shavette seemed to cut with less effort, but the SR even with the tuggy feeling felt smoother with 0 irritation. My face felt great afterward. Also little sting from the aftershave.
I had watched many stropping videos, and I did strop after I shaved. I am going to order a balsa strop.

I recommend you make your balsa strop set, rather than order them. You need to use diamond paste, you need to lap the balsa, you need to use only a very very small amount of paste, and you need to make them about 12" long and 2-1/2" to 3" wide, and you need to glue the balsa to a backup material that will not swell or warp. Otherwise your results will not be all that they could be. Read the thread. This is a proven method. Just doing it any old way will probably disappoint.

Sounds like a good first shave, notwithstanding a couple of nicks. It's all about routine and practice and it takes time.

You might just do two passes with the grain to start until working out all the angles of your face feels a bit more natural.

T
I felt it was good, and I will work out the angles. The nicks weren't too bad. I cut myself worse with my first shave with a MMOC I bought at an antique store. I didn't notice the blade gaurds had been filed down LOL.

I recommend you make your balsa strop set, rather than order them. You need to use diamond paste, you need to lap the balsa, you need to use only a very very small amount of paste, and you need to make them about 12" long and 2-1/2" to 3" wide, and you need to glue the balsa to a backup material that will not swell or warp. Otherwise your results will not be all that they could be. Read the thread. This is a proven method. Just doing it any old way will probably disappoint.
Thanks, I will read the thread and do it myself. I'm not the most handy person when it comes to making things.

I would skip the ATG on the upper lip for the first few shaves.
About stropping: you need far lighter pressure than you think you need. Now ease up a little more.

The trick is all about pulling the skin, usually in the direction opposite to the grain.
Very nice razor; I'm currently using a W&B too, and I guess you'll find quite some satisfaction with it!

I'm not a huge fan of pastes: that's what we call "French approach" here in Italy, for some reasons. I just do touch ups on my belgian coticule, and then use a good bull-leather loom strop. Works like a charm.

Top Bottom