What's new

Upgrade suggestions, from DE89

Brother Ryan,

My earlier suggestion doesn't mean I don't like slant razors. I love slant razors! Everyone should have at least one slant razor.

Reading about the Muhle 41, I'm just scared it would be too aggressive on my face. What's your favorite slant?

Reading about the Muhle 41, I'm just scared it would be too aggressive on my face. What's your favorite slant?

Brother Ryan, I too have been a little scared to buy a Muhle R41, though I've been strongly tempted. I have tough old whiskers, and I would love to try an R41. But I also have thin skin, and I abhor cuts, nicks, and weepers. Older people have thinner skin (literally) than do you younger guys. Also, I have about 80 DE and SE razors, and at the age of 81 it's increasingly difficult to justify buying more razors. Would you agree? :001_smile

I do have two slant razors: the Merkur 37C and a vintage Krect Shave slant razor. I believe the concept of a slanted head is sound, even brilliant. A slanted blade (or a slanted knife) is more effective at cutting, be it whiskers or carrots.

The Merkur 37C is the more aggressive of my slant razors, and therefore it's more effective for my tough whiskers. It's slightly more aggressive than the Merkur HD 34C. I like it a lot. The Krect Shave dates from 1936 (my birth year) and it was made by a small company in Portland, Oregon. It's unique in that it assembles and closes by cam action, instead of by twisting a handle. It's a nicely engineered and an endearing razor! I like it, but it's milder than the Merkur Slant and a little too mild for me.

On a scale of 0 to 10, with 5 being average aggression, I would rate the Merkur Slant as a 7, the Merkur HD as a 6, and the Krect Shave as a 5. The Krect Shave, even though a Slant razor, has aggressiveness similar to the Muhle R89. The Krect Shave does not have much blade exposure. Because of closing with cam action it will not accommodate a shim or two.

Last edited:
I think you might really enjoy the new Fatip then, the Testina Gentile, I have sensitive skin and tough whiskers as well, and I can only say, the Fatip is not only a closer shave for me but smoother as well. You may feel your skin getting a bit hot the first week but then it’s clear sailing. Every shave has been better than the last for me and I don’t even want to look at my R89 now.

Don’t fear the R41. Get yourself an R41 head from Maggards for around $25 and put it on your current handle. It gives the closest shaves! Just take your time and you will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t fear the R41. Get yourself an R41 head from Maggards for around $25 and put it on your current handle. It gives the closest shaves! Just take your time and you will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
second this comment, the R41 is nothing to fear, smooth, irritation and bloodless shaves closer than anything else I have tried, especially smooth with a feather blade. Take you time, you will be fine. BTW referring to the new, 2013, head.

I'm not sure if I should go towards a slant.

I think that you should. I mean, I'm no expert, the only slant that I have is Ikon 102, but is something about that razor that makes it very efficient, but also mild. Don't know if it's the head design or the slant part for sure, but there is something that I didn't find at regular razors.
I am usually pretty skeptical, and I was also skeptical about slants. I mean, I was not expecting anything special, but I'm not sure anymore.

R41... It's pretty much the closest thing you can get to a shavette. The efficiency of that razor is incredible. You do need at least decent technique with it, don't get me wrong. If you are having times when you're getting cuts or irritation with DE89, be sure that you're not gonna have a walk with R41. Is the kind of razor that blows your mind. I mean, I still don't get it what makes it so damn efficient. With correct technique, it's probably the best razor you can get.

Fatip Grade/Picollo. I find these two weird due to the obnoxious angle you need to take. Razors like R41 or Merkur Futur are designed to keep the blade straight, but in a way that you're not gonna need to adjust the angle too much. Fatips are not as straightforward, at least for me.

As I mentioned Futur, you should consider it too, or Progress. Both are very fine razors and I think that they are both excellent for beginners.

As value for money, I think that you should go with R41. Is pretty affordable, but it's a damn exceptional razor. Don't be scared due to the reputation, as it won't slice you up. With bad technique, any razor will irritate you, but I never heard about anyone getting nasty, big cuts from safety razors. It's the kind of razor that will punish your bad technique and it will help you correct it. Once you nail the technique down, it's gonna be like a walk in the park.

I used a DE89 for several years as my primary razor, but like you thought I needed something more aggressive to get a closer shave. I had mixed results with the Merkur 37C slant; I liked the razor but I don't think it shaved any closer and it had a tendency to irritate one spot on my neck if I used it every day. The RazoRock Old Type has provided a good compromise. I get shaves that are (perhaps) a bit closer than the DE89, and it is easy to use every day without any risk of irritation. More recently I have been using a Fatip - first the Piccoloc, but when my arthritic fingers struggled with that tiny handle I moved to their wooden handled open comb model. The Fatip consistently provides the closest shave of any razor I've used, but it does require me to be more careful to avoid irritation or small weepers. I now use it more often than not, but probably will not make it my everyday razor.

Interestingly, today I took a day off from my Fatip and used my DE89. It really is a pleasure to shave with it! It feels and looks solid, the handle provides a very sure grip (I have the knurled version), and you can just let the razor do its job without much thought given to the process. How well did it shave? If the Fatip produces a shave that I would rate 10 out of 10, the DE89 gets a 9. So if you want to keep searching for perfection, go right ahead. Most of us here are doing that. But just so you know, you could use your DE89 as it is and you won't be missing much.

I've have decided to go for the R41. I've read a lot about it and noticed people are using different blades. I've read the Gillette Black blades are one of the best for it. Can anyone suggest their favorite blade for this razor, so I can purchase them at the same time. How's the Astra Superior Platinum, as this is what I currently use? Can any one also suggest a correct videos on how to use. I've been reading it's all up to you, which can either be: handle more up or handle more down.

I’ll be singing the praise of the MKII forever. I went from a aristocrat for years to Maggard, Muhle 89 and found the mkii. Best razor ever.
I'm telling you reviews like this one just
Reinforces my decision to make the MKll
One of my future razor purchases.

R41 didn't work for me. Too aggressive. That said, YMMV. Plus, if it doesn't work, there are plenty of folks who want to try one, that you can re-sell it to at a modest discount.

R41 didn't work for me. Too aggressive. That said, YMMV. Plus, if it doesn't work, there are plenty of folks who want to try one, that you can re-sell it to at a modest discount.
I’ve got a R41. For me it’s too aggressive. I can shave with it once in a while, but I can’t use it each and every day, because my skin starts to hurt.
I’ll just stick to my DE89 and R89

Another vote for vintage.....
Gillette Red Tip.
And well within your $50.00
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom