What's new

Bigger guy, bigger tie?

Im a bigger guy 6' 280lbs, 21" neck also my torso is longer than my legs. That said, I keep buying "long" ties and even being a long tie I can not tie a half windsor or a prat and still have the tail of the tie tuck into the keeper. It always comes up short. It looks sloppy as hell when the tail peaks out. I have debated a tie tack, even then it would be worn in the top 1/3 of the tie to be able to keep the tail in.
Any suggestions?

Same problem here with long torso.

My solution: tie tack for standard length ties, and also buy extra long ties when available in the colors I need.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I've not experienced that problem myself.
I would be inclined to have the tie altered, maybe adding a second keeper instead of moving the one that is already there.

I have always wondered why the average neck tie sold at retail isn't a few inches longer. I have not bought many ties recently, but they always seem to be cut too close for the average-to-tall person. Especially given than many people like to wear them long...longer than the official style guide.

A well known entrepreneur of average height but I would bet the tie tail barely fits into its keeper when worn this way:
proxy.php

Another well known man who is a foot taller. I wonder where he shops:
proxy.php

strop

Now half as wise
In a pinch I have used a large safety pin that I pinned to the back of the tie as a keeper.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I also have a long torso and the same problem with ties. Generally, I just let the back end fly. Sprezzatura and all that. One thing I have found is that higher rise trousers help out considerably. Not only do they balance my appearance and make my legs visually longer, they require less tie length. I know high rise is not a trendy look right now, but with a jacket on, its fine. My $0.02.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Har, har funny guy. First off, high riser trousers needn't be that high. At the natural waist, an inch or so below the belly button, works just fine. Secondly, that guy looks a heck of a better with his pants like that then if his was belly hanging over too tight low rise pants like most corpulent men I see. And see what I mean about the tie?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have always wondered why the average neck tie sold at retail isn't a few inches longer. I have not bought many ties recently, but they always seem to be cut too close for the average-to-tall person. Especially given than many people like to wear them long...longer than the official style guide.

A well known entrepreneur of average height but I would bet the tie tail barely fits into its keeper when worn this way:
proxy.php

Another well known man who is a foot taller. I wonder where he shops:
proxy.php
Comey is at least 6' 7"- I bet he hasn't shopped for clothes in a regular store since junior high. I wish I had that problem (only 5' 10")

Top Bottom