What's new

Cycling 2017

I'm going to post my cycling jaunts here, and I invite others to do the same, if desired. Perhaps we can encourage one another, enjoy shared scenic photos, and share experiences. If no one else joins in, that's OK with me. It will be a journal of my pedaling, if nothing else.

I typically ride with my son, who will be 25 in a few weeks. We ride rail trails in and around Pittsburgh. Western PA is quite hilly, but rail trails afford us gentle, if never ending, slopes, and terrific scenery. I turned 60 about a month ago, making me a C1 on the Gillette calendar. Sixty is a big number to me, and it's time for me to do some overdue preventive health maintenance. I took a pretty big health hit from fall 2013 - spring 2014, and I need to get back in shape.

Today we rode the Butler - Freeport Community Trail (The Butler-Freeport Community TrailButler Freeport Community Trail), a 20 mile rail trail. My intent was to do 10 miles uphill out, and 10 miles downhill back. At seven miles my legs were screaming at me, and at eight I had to turn around and ride back. Disappointing, but I'll take it. Adding today's 16 miles to 15 we had done in the past couple of weeks, our season total is 31 miles. Humble beginnings.:001_smile

I'm going to post my cycling jaunts here, and I invite others to do the same, if desired. Perhaps we can encourage one another, enjoy shared scenic photos, and share experiences. If no one else joins in, that's OK with me. It will be a journal of my pedaling, if nothing else.

I typically ride with my son, who will be 25 in a few weeks. We ride rail trails in and around Pittsburgh. Western PA is quite hilly, but rail trails afford us gentle, if never ending, slopes, and terrific scenery. I turned 60 about a month ago, making me a C1 on the Gillette calendar. Sixty is a big number to me, and it's time for me to do some overdue preventive health maintenance. I took a pretty big health hit from fall 2013 - spring 2014, and I need to get back in shape.

Today we rode the Butler - Freeport Community Trail (The Butler-Freeport Community TrailButler Freeport Community Trail), a 20 mile rail trail. My intent was to do 10 miles uphill out, and 10 miles downhill back. At seven miles my legs were screaming at me, and at eight I had to turn around and ride back. Disappointing, but I'll take it. Adding today's 16 miles to 15 we had done in the past couple of weeks, our season total is 31 miles. Humble beginnings.:001_smile

I commend you on your effort to work on your health and the bike is one of the best ways of doing it (I'll be 59 this July). As a stage 4 cancer patient my bike has been instrumental in keeping both my body and spirits way up. Please don't worry about milage so much if you're just starting up. What's better is to focus on riding several times a week and just have fun. Besides, riding hills uses a whole other set of muscles than when riding the flats so it def takes some practice. The more you can make riding a routine, the farther you'll naturally ride, and with less effort too! I usually try to ride at least 3 times a week.

Today I rode from Alameda over to and across the new Oakland/San Francisco Bay Bridge Bike path to Treasure Island (short coffee stop) and then back through Oakland and around Lake Merritt before heading home - about 36mi. Except for the wind and a few hills it was a nice, rolling morning. Here's a link to the route on Relive...

Relive 'Bay Bridge / Treasure Island / Lake Merritt'

Ride safe!

What a beautiful ride that must have been, @mr_eleven. My ship was homeported at Naval Air Station Alameda in the 1970s. I know the area well, and have many fond memories of the locations you cited.

We typically ride on weekends. Four years ago, my son and I rode the GAP Trail, 150ish miles from Maryland to Pittsburgh. We took three days and two nights (roughing it in B&Bs). It's a ride I'd like to repeat, but I have to build up to it.

Best of luck with Stage IV melanoma. My health hit I alluded to was appendix cancer, diagnosed right after the GAP Trail ride. Two surgeries and six months of chemo later, and I am good. I sincerely wish you the same success. :001_smile

I too, am a rider ... though like you, I'm slowly coming back to the bike after a year off for the most part.

I've also moved, and the area I now live in is considerably more hilly than any place I've ever lived before, so I'm adapting to that.

Eyeing a ride around lunch or later this afternoon, depending on the temperature. I'm trying to ride 300 miles a month or more, but am behind on this month's total.

@Graybeard57 - I'm glad you have won your battle. I seem to be doing the same after 2 surgeries and 2.5 years of therapies. I've been off meds for a little over 36 weeks now and it feels like a new lease on life.

I live only a stones throw from the USS Hornet, and love this area for it's rich diversity. Alameda has not changed that much, which is a good thing. It offers a quiet little hideaway from most of the Bay Area noises, and my wife and I both work here too, so we're pretty spoiled.

The new Bay Bridge included a new bike/walk path to Treasure Island and is a joy to ride, when the winds aren't howling, and they were pretty gusty yesterday. But it was still a sunny day and much more enjoyable than the yard work that was waiting for me when I got back. I hope to do a multiple day trip someday, but first I'd like to do a metric century and then a "real" century.

Stay well!

:sailor:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I am 52 rode 12.5 miles tonight on the Blue Trail in Carrollton. I have been riding about 9 months now. Still not ready for the road but I love the paved paths in the Dallas metro.

IMG_9426.jpg
Excited to see this thread! I have MTB'd for about 15 years, but picked up road cycling in 2015 when my sister coaxed me into signing up for a sprint triathlon. I do 17-20 miles on my mid-week ride, an occasional thirty miler during the week, and a 35 or 50 miler one day on the weekend. I will head out to the MTB park once or twice a month for variety. Great to hear about your cycling despite some hardships thrown your way! GAP trail is on the bucket list! Aside from the Captiva Triathlon, my 2 big bike events in the last year were Tour de Lyme in CT (27.5 miles MTB) and Pan-Florida Challenge (2 days, 186 road bike miles).

Here is my road bike at a rest stop Saturday. New handlebar tape!

Been off the bike since Monday I think ... was coming home from a ride, two blocks from my house and I popped a spoke. I heard something pop just outside of town, but it never let go til I was really close to home. Got it fixed but the weather has been ****e, so no bueno. Sun is out today ... if it warms up a bit I'll go for a ride around lunch.

Nice Moto ... I've often thought about getting a BD bike ...

I will contribute. I live in Massachusetts a small state in terms of area with Boston being the center of the hub geographically on the eastern coast. Many of the railways lie dormant with the development of roadways. The state government, has done a terrific job of converting these railways to paved, stone dust or packed gravel ways for walking, roller blading, biking, cross country skiing. It really is impressive how many of these paths have been completed with many more in construction or planned all over the state.

Here is one of many sources of information if you search the net:
Massachusetts bicycle trails

If you do a similar search for your state you may be surprised at what you find.

Another good source of information is to search your state parks, conservation lands, trusts etc. for trails and bike paths or other recreational opportunities.

In addition, with the recent popularity of go pro cameras you are likely to find a YouTube video of these areas for your review prior to visiting.

18.5 road bike miles tonight. 82°/73%/SE7
My Motobecane is fine for my level of riding. It is only a 2X7 gear setup with cheap Shimano Tourney components, but it handles flat Florida riding well. Aluminum frame with a carbon front fork. The only time I would need a smaller gear in the back is heading down the backside of one of our steeper bridges with a big tail wind, otherwise 12T is fine.

Hello gents. Seems like we all share an interest in biking and all going to beat the dreaded c. I have been in remission since 2008 and have a sizable scar from the tip of my chin to just below my ear log as a not so subtle reminder of the experience. My beard covers much of it. 'Nuff said.

Do you gents frequent www.bikeforums.net? Great site covering ALL aspects of biking and I would guess as many members as B&B. Highly recommended but I warn you I have frequently got absorbed in the evening only to find I had spent 4 hours and a 2:30 bed time. Very addicting.

Weather didn't cooperate with me riding this weekend. Love your Mirage, @FL shaver. I have a 1974 model in need of a complete overhaul, and an 80s model that's nearly road ready. What app are you using that gives you such a comprehensive readout?

Weather didn't cooperate with me riding this weekend. Love your Mirage, @FL shaver. I have a 1974 model in need of a complete overhaul, and an 80s model that's nearly road ready. What app are you using that gives you such a comprehensive readout?

I believe is STRAVA. I use it too. The basic version is free and a great way to keep track of stuff. It also lets you set and monitor goals. You can either use it on your smartphone as you ride, or it will download rides from many bike computers.

:thumbsup:

I believe is STRAVA. I use it too. The basic version is free and a great way to keep track of stuff. It also lets you set and monitor goals. You can either use it on your smartphone as you ride, or it will download rides from many bike computers.

:thumbsup:

Downloaded the app. Will use it next ride. :001_smile

Check that out! Hadn't seen that before! Nice ride!

I use the Strava app with my iPhone 7 and mount it to my handlebar stem with a Quad Lock.

My Motobecanes are the new Bikes Direct versions. Someone bought the name and is manufacturing frames Taiwan. I'd love to see an old school steel frame Motobecane restored!

Top Bottom