What's new

Meeting a woman Friday. No wristwatch.

What should I do?

• Nothing. You're screwed.

• Buy a plain fashion watch and hope she doesn't say anything about it.

• Buy a good watch and then return it afterward like the no-watch loser that you are.

• Have ouch fill in for you

Results are only viewable after voting.
Who cares?!?! I'd bet almost anything that she couldn't possibly care less. Seeing someone without a watch isn't that unusual. You wouldn't want to be with someone who is so shallow that not having a watch on would make a difference. I can easily think of a dozen other more worthy things to worry about when meeting a woman for the first time. What if she is wearing a watch that doesn't meet your particular standards or horror of horrors, not wear a watch at all? Will you reject her on the spot?

How old are you? As far as I can tell most "younger" people today do not wear watches at all and rely on their cell phones, although it seems hard to me to discretely check the time on your cell phone. Even if you are not younger, no watch could make you seem even cooler. Back in the day, of course, a gentleman would not wear or carry a watch to a formal event, not that your date is formal. The idea being that a true gentleman does not worry about the time. (I mean, what are you, a businessman? How coarse!) That rule probably still applies to black tie events, although I certainly ignore it.

If the date is informal, I could see a cheap Timex with, say, a NATO band or something that looks like it. Not gold or anything that looks like you are trying to pass it off as something more expensive than it is. (I am "ashamed" of you for ditching the Russian watches, BTW. To me they have a cool factor.) The thing is to wear it with elan. You are not pretending it is an expensive watch. It is cool to be nonchalant. To be "ironic." But with watches, and clothes, and whatever in presentation, especially for a date, if what you are doing makes you feel uneasy, you will seem uneasy! Do what makes you feel least uneasy!

By the way, I sure am not dissing you for wanting to put your best foot forward on a date. And I am not dissing a woman who is turned off by something a guy wears, says, or does. (I would think it unusual in 2017 for someone to even take note, even subliminally, of whether someone is wearing a watch or not. Too many folks these days do not wear a watch.) It is probably subliminal anyway and I doubt that we are talking about a woman only interested in how much money a guy has. (Of course, if I were very rich, I might like that fine anyway! :)) And Kanye had it about right about what is and is not gold digging!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
IF she "isn't that into you" because you don't have a watch on your wrist ... um ... is she worth your time and effort? Win her over with your personality and good grooming. If that doesn't do it for her, well, you probably don't want to be involved with her anyhow.

proxy.php

Plus, being on a date and glancing at your watch can send the wrong "what time is it and how soon until this is over?" vibe.

Just make sure you have a means of being punctual. IF you want/need a watch anyhow, go get what you want in a watch, for you, and leave it at that.

I would guess that most people (male or female) rarely notice any further than whether or not you're wearing a watch, unless it is particularly "blingy". And that really impresses only a certain sort of person.

I find that a woman will more often than not note a man's overall physical build first, then overall manner of dress (i.e. what image are you projecting). If those first two are not found to be repellant, then they get close enough to notice details: scent, facial care, hands, and shoes. Nail those things, and you are golden in most cases. Good shave/ tended beard, clean hands with cared-for nails (and a nice watch can frame the hand, so there's that to consider), and nice footwear that is appropriate for the situation.
This isn't even a male/female thing. Even if they're not cognizant that they're doing it (even if they go so far as to say that they don't care), most adults are impressed by a person that has the appearance of being squared away.

This seems savagely superficial, but people rarely get to make a first impression with their personality.

I know .... but it is Saturday morning where I am so that's all that really matters. ;-)

Being in your future I can confirm he is in for a very pleasant evening and time will fly and his concerns about the wrist watch will be a distant memory.

I can't quite see who cooks breakfast tho [emoji6][emoji12][emoji106][emoji1604]

Seriously tho I do wish him all the best. He is obviously nervous and we have all been there on a first date. My first date with my wife was me walking out of customs at Melbourne Airport... if that date didn't go well I had to wait 7 days to get on the flight home..... no pressure there ..... fortunately we got on better in person than on line and that was 20 years ago in June.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Top Bottom