What's new

General Thoughts on the R41

Is everyone sporting the standard handle or the grande? has anyone dared to put an aftermarket on it?

:001_smile

proxy.php

proxy.php

Ordered a 2013 R41 with the rose gold handle today. I held out as long as I could but it's been on my "to get" list just way too long. Can't wait to see the handle and how it compares to the 2011 R41 that I currently have.

Ben

Shaved with a Feather blade in the R41 for the first time yesterday and I gotta say it was an incredible experience. The absolute closest shave I've had yet, while also one of the best! I liked the Astra SP in it too, but I think I found my go to combo with the Feather blade. Very smooth and clean, one nick that was definitely my fault on technique (when is it not, right) but overall the closest, best shave I think I can get with a DE. And again, I wouldn't call this "Aggressive" either as that term seems somewhat negative so I'll go with "really close yet comfortable" instead. 2 passes and some touch-ups gets me a BBS in no time!

Got my rose gold version of the 2013 from Connaught Shaving today in the post. Right off the bat I can tell that the cap is wider than the 2011..... without even looking at the 2011. I really like the rose gold handle for a change too. As always, Muhle's are just so elegantly finished and sparkly. Can't wait to see how it shaves!! Oh, BTW.... Connaught does it right and sticks a pack of REAL blades in the razor box too (a pack of Gillette Silver Blues).... in addition to the crappy Derby blade that comes with it from the factory.

Ben

Still waiting for my R41 Grande from Connaught. Note to self - pay extra for faster shipping with a tracking number! The good news is that it comes with a Muhle classic olivewood handled silvertip fiber 2.0 21 mm brush and some DRHarris and TOBS samplers. I wish they had TOBS grapefruit samples when I ordered. :sad:

I will say that after reading posting after posting on this and other boards, I am wondering if I can shave without scraping or nicking the heck out of my face with this. My most aggressive razor to date is my 39c Merkur Slant barberpole.

I started wet shaving 5 or 6 months ago and the R89 was my first razor. I love the razor and after trying many blades in it I eventually settled on Gillette Silver Blues as the best blade in that razor for me. Several weeks ago I got an R41 and tonight was my first shave with a feather blade in it. It was probably my smoothest shave to date. I still love the R89 and will still use it but the R41 will be my primary razor. It is awesome.

I started wet shaving 5 or 6 months ago and the R89 was my first razor. I love the razor and after trying many blades in it I eventually settled on Gillette Silver Blues as the best blade in that razor for me. Several weeks ago I got an R41 and tonight was my first shave with a feather blade in it. It was probably my smoothest shave to date. I still love the R89 and will still use it but the R41 will be my primary razor. It is awesome.

it seems like there were probably so many complaints/concerns outweighing those who like the 2011 version of the R41 that they went back to the drawing board and really engineered a precision piece of shaving equipment with the latest version. It's definitely the EXACT type of shave I was looking for when I first started, and on a consistent basis. Feather blades still work best for me so far but will be trying out the Gillette Silver Blues this week. The Astra SPs were very smooth too, but I found them to work best with minimal beard growth and Feathers if its a bit longer, YMMV of course.

I just shaved with mine today, the personna I put in wasn't the right choice. I'm a big fan of BICS =D, I'll likely try the astra and wilkies this week

I just shaved with mine today, the personna I put in wasn't the right choice. I'm a big fan of BICS =D, I'll likely try the astra and wilkies this week

Astra SPs were very smooth and enjoyable in mine. Think you'll like it. Good luck!

I've had a 2011 for a couple months and it is a love/hate relationship. I have gotten the absolute best shaves ever with it (12 hours later, in smoother than 2 minutes after a shave with anything else. When it's bad, it's real bad. Crime scene bad. But I keep trying

The stock handle is the week point. Really slippery. I swapped for a weber and never looked back

I've had a 2011 for a couple months and it is a love/hate relationship. I have gotten the absolute best shaves ever with it (12 hours later, in smoother than 2 minutes after a shave with anything else. When it's bad, it's real bad. Crime scene bad. But I keep trying

You may want to try the 2013 version - my understanding is that it shaves virtually the same (slightly less aggressive) but is much more user friendly. I have found it to be much less dangerous than I had anticipated, and certainly nothing bad even though it's only been 5 days and I have experimented with 3 blades, different angles, sliding and slicing angles, ATG strokes under my nose, and aggressively trying to trim chin hairs at varied angles for multiple passes.

The safety bar was invented for a reason. The R41 is very rough and unrefined. You have to tread on eggshells the whole time the blade is on your face.

The R41 is very rough and unrefined. You have to tread on eggshells the whole time the blade is on your face.

I can't say I necessarily agree with this statement. I think it all comes down to proper technique and becoming comfortable with the razor. I've been using it for nearly a month now and I can say with confidence that I don't "tread on eggshells the whole time the blade is on [my] face" as I've learned how to use it properly. Give it some time and practice and that won't be the case. Maybe at first, yes, treading on eggshells may be an appropriate approach, but a couple weeks in you should be able to use it at will knowing the angle, blade, and technique that best works for you.

The R41 is very rough and unrefined. You have to tread on eggshells the whole time the blade is on your face.

My experience has been the opposite, which is probably a classic case of YMMV. I actually feel more on eggshells with my R89 (EJ de89 equivalent) as I have dig that blade into my chin even when paying attention. The R41 cuts easily enough that I can use a very light touch with it, which inspires confidence and has led to great shaves with no irritation unless it's an area where I have been screwing around or distracted (case in point: trying a new blade, a soap sampler with inadequate lather, and my kid continually bumping into me, sharing the sink, distracting me verbally continuously, and trying to put lotion on my hand!).

The R41 (2011) is a great razor. I got amazingly close shaves, often from only 2 passes. The stock handle was just fine for me and I found it to be very nimble and easy to use. I did eventually sell it on BST, only because I acquired my holy grail razor (which I use daily). The r41 felt a little 'sharp' when going against the grain. It had a little too much blade feel for my taste, but nothing unbearable. I'd recommend anybody to try one. My favorite blade to pair it with was an Israeli Crystal fwiw.

Top Bottom