What's new

Best Adjustable?

Now I'm sure there is no good answer to this question, but I've been looking at adjustable razors lately. Mainly because I can achieve a good shave over almost all parts of my face but my very lower neck where my hair changes radically from north to south to east to west on one side, and west to east on the other. This has caused some issues when getting down there as going XTG usually ends up in some weepers.

So I'm thinking if I have an adjustible that I can shave most of my face on the same setting and then dial it back for my very lower neck. Good thought or no?

Anyways I'm wonder what are some good adjustables out there? I've already ruled out the Merkur Future as it doesn't look like I could get that good of grip on it.

Are you aware that it is almost 4:00 AM? What are you thinking? Only nuts and insomniacs are awake at this hour.
---
I will suggest that you do not need to dial your adjustable down to a lower setting for your neck area. Of course, if you do that and it works, go for it. My suggestion is to simply alter the blade angle, and stretch your skin to get a good result. Keep the pressure off, too.

The futur is a very good razor and the grip on my matte finished one is good, but it is very aggressive so I wouldn't recommend it for your situation.

I have a similar problem in that the grain on my neck changes from N-S to S-N and W-E and is very sensitive.

Typically I find that I get a decent enough shave using a Merkur HD with absolutely NO pressure and a really good lather on that area.

As for adjustables, I can recommend a slim. I will set it to 7 and do everything WTG, then my face XTG. I then dial it down to 3 and go XTG and ATG on my neck. It does take longer, but it yields fantastic results.

The slim is also one of the cheaper adjustables out there!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Now I'm sure there is no good answer to this question, but I've been looking at adjustable razors lately. Mainly because I can achieve a good shave over almost all parts of my face but my very lower neck where my hair changes radically from north to south to east to west on one side, and west to east on the other. This has caused some issues when getting down there as going XTG usually ends up in some weepers.

So I'm thinking if I have an adjustible that I can shave most of my face on the same setting and then dial it back for my very lower neck. Good thought or no?

Anyways I'm wonder what are some good adjustables out there? I've already ruled out the Merkur Future as it doesn't look like I could get that good of grip on it.

From what I heard (never had one), the Slim is very good.

Are you aware that it is almost 4:00 AM? What are you thinking? Only nuts and insomniacs are awake at this hour.
---
I will suggest that you do not need to dial your adjustable down to a lower setting for your neck area. Of course, if you do that and it works, go for it. My suggestion is to simply alter the blade angle, and stretch your skin to get a good result. Keep the pressure off, too.

Depends where you are, the sun is still up in Australia!

I only have experience with the slim and it is a very good razor.

I used it to find the approximate level of aggression that worked well for me and usually only used one setting during the course of the shave.

I'd try a Slim or a Super Adjustable.
What blades are you using? Have you thought about trying a milder blade?

I use a Gillette Slim (set on 5), a Merkur HD (not adjustable), and a Merkur Vision (set on i) in rotation. They all work well, but the Vision is my favorite adjustable closely followed by the Slim. I have not used other adjustables. I have had no problems with my Vision, but rinse it thoroughly after each shave under hot water and permit no soap scum accummulation (it is an expensive razor). My clean 40 year old Slim cost me only $ 25.00 on eBay. I am happy to use any of the three and would not feel dissapointed if restricted to using any one of them. Although the Vision is large with a long handle, its size has not been a problem for me.

HTH

I have a polished chrome futur. I have almost as much grip as with my HD. It is not the best razor to learn with, but it can give a great shave. Worth buying in my opinion. I have similar growth patterns to yourself, and I don't find adjustability to be an advantage. Follow the map for the first two passes and you should be okay.

I am a big fan of the Merkur Progress for a modern adjustable. For the vintage razor I enjoy using the Slim. I usually use the aggressive settings during my first N-S pass, and second pass S-N. The ATG/XTG I lower my settings accordingly.

Haha yeah, I'm kind of a night hawk. :001_smile

What blades are you using? Have you thought about trying a milder blade?

Right now I'm using a Merkur 34C with Gillette 7 o'clock (yellow pack) blades. I really like how the blade works on the rest of my face, but it seems a little sharp for that part of my neck as I have to be extra careful. Was working with some Personnas (red pack) before that and it was sort of the opposite. Worked well on that lower part of my neck but wasn't as good on the rest of the face as it's a little duller / more forgiving blade.

I've got two adjustables now; a Gillette Aristocrat Adjustable (a/k/a gold-plated Slim Adjustable), and a Gillette Super Adjustable. Both give great shaves, but if I had to choose one, it'd probably be the Aristocrat (but that's probably because it's my newest razor and it looks so damned good!). :laugh:

I have four adjustables: slim, FB, Mergress, and Mergress XL. I love every one of them and use them as you thought. A higher setting for my face and a lower one for my neck, particularly with the ATG pass.

In fact, for example, today I shaved with a Mergress and my first pass was at 3. My second pass was at 3+ and my third and fourth pass were at 4 - except for my neck which remained at 3. Got a great shave with no irritation. :thumbup1:.

I have four adjustables: slim, FB, Mergress, and Mergress XL. I love every one of them and use them as you thought. A higher setting for my face and a lower one for my neck, particularly with the ATG pass.

In fact, for example, today I shaved with a Mergress and my first pass was at 3. My second pass was at 3+ and my third and fourth pass were at 4 - except for my neck which remained at 3. Got a great shave with no irritation. :thumbup1:.

But my favorite is the Mergress XL, followed by the Mergress, followed by the FB, and the slim.

Adjusting the settings will help finetune an already good shave, but if you're getting irritation due to bad technique that's where you need to focus.

My second razor was an adjustable (Merkur Futur) and after initial adjustment, I haven't touched the adjustment feature. It's a very nice razor but I apparently have no need for an adjustable.

Last edited:
I have a problem with my neck hair also. It grows SN so close to my neck, an adjustable was no help. I just deal with the results I get. The rest of my face is good though.

Aaron

Top Bottom