What's new

Simpson Brushes

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I emailed Mark of Vulfix about re-introducing lamp black to the brushes. He mentioned to me that it is actually considered an environmental, health, and safety issue to use lamp black in the work place now. I wouldn't expect to see lamp black on brushes in future.

After sniffing paper fresh from the mimeograph machine all through grade school, I'll take my chances. After all, I turned out normal. :rolleyes:

full

Last edited by a moderator:
To move this thread back to Simpson's minutiae and away from fat blokes in party frocks, I always wondered what sort of decision process occurred to replace catalin with the current plastic handles. Especially since butterscotch vintage catalin is so highly prized.

Gary, what an interesting read. I must say that this thread is one of the best in ages.

My only production brush is a Wee Scot (all my others are restored vintage pieces), and I can see why you like it and why it was signed by your Great Uncle....an incredible dynamo.

proxy.php

Keep up the history lesson.

No, I havent run away to hide in a dark room. But please do bear in mind that I DO have a life away from here!
Best Christmas wishes to everyone. I will be back on here between Christmas and New Year

Gary ,
Welcome and Nice to meet you.

Simpson Colonel Super
Simpson S3 Reknotted with finest extra(That is the brush i talked about you )
Simpson Prefix Chubby2 Best
Simpson Duke3 Best

Regards.

Hi Gary --

Welcome to B&B! Glad to have you join us.

Everyone's seemed to concentrate on the Knots, but my query is regarding the fabrication of shave brush handles...

Regarding the lathes used for handle turning in the Pre-Numerical Control era --were the lathes water powered via belts and a 'drive train' in the ceiling?

Did Simpson's use a 'tracer lathe' so they could match the design of the profile and then duplicate the shape Handle-to-Handle? If so, can you tell us about the development of the shape and the development of the tracer pattern?

How was the process different (if at all) when turning real Ivory? (There a still some original old real-ivory brushes that surface from time to time.)

With the adoption of contemporary NC/DNC lathes, it would be a shame if the old processes were simply lost.

-- John Gehman

Last edited:
John

yes the lathes were belt driven off the water wheel. No we didn't use a 'tracer lathe'. We did keep a 'pattern handle' for each brush style we made. The turning of the handles was really down to years of experience. We used callipers to check measurements against the pattern handles, but apart from that each handle was turned individually, but to the untrained eye, no visible differences would be seen handle to handle.
When turning ivory the process was the same, although we would change the speed of the lathe as ivory turns much like wood - therefore different to the standard catalin we used.

Gary,

Just finished reading this thread from head to toe. What an honor to have you share words of Simpson lore. Many, many thanks!

I'm so inspired, I'm going to dust off my Mach 3 and Wee Scott for a shave tomorrow.

Cheers!

Chuck M

Top Bottom