What's new

Adverts

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
From my end, it seems like it's improving again. On desktop, I still have one at the bottom of the screen, and about every 3rd or 4th thread I click on leads to a full page ad that has to be dismissed. Which is an improvement over yesterday for sure. Mobile seems normal (as in, the same as before the upgrade) for me, though.

Just wanted to give you a "current conditions" from a user perspective, not piling on.
Thank you, appreciated!

Not for me. I’m using an iPad and currently the number of ads on a page is seven, including the fixed one at the bottom. It was six earlier today and four yesterday. So seems to be worsening. Maybe I’m being punished and every time I post here they add one more ad for me. 😉

Actually I think it just depends how long the page is - i.e. how many posts are on a page. The more posts the more ads in-between them.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Not for me. I’m using an iPad and currently the number of ads on a page is seven, including the fixed one at the bottom. It was six earlier today and four yesterday. So seems to be worsening. Maybe I’m being punished and every time I post here they add one more ad for me. 😉

Actually I think it just depends how long the page is - i.e. how many posts are on a page. The more posts the more ads in-between them.
We've had some weird things happening just based on the device and the browser used, a guy on a laptop running Chrome may have a totally different take on it than a guy on a Kindle running Silk, and not the same as a guy on an iPad running Safari.

Thanks, Phil. Clearly you guys have it in hand. I’ll shut up now and leave you to deal with it. Maybe let us know if you want more feedback at some point about what we are observing. Meanwhile it is good to hear that some users are already seeing improvements.

I just returned after my shower and the site seems to be back to normal. No more Ads on the homepage and I navigated to this thread without a single pop up blocking my way.

Oops, I spoke too soon. That dastardly one on the bottom is still popping up, but seems to be the only one so far.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
On my ipad it isn't bad, but visiting B&B using Chrome on my laptop is now maddening. There are even ads in the middle of threads between posts. I see no change from yesterday, by the way. Sorry to whinge...

The ads just started for me here in France. I'm getting ads all over the place. Hard to make out the B&B site as the intrusions are everywhere. Bottom, right side, and top. Can't even post a reply without having to remove the ad at the bottom! P.S., I'm using Firefox.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
We did change ad partners. To date, for the entire existence of B&B, we have done about two, maybe three static (Google) AdSense ads. One of my requirements to the new ad partner was that it not be ‘overdone’. I browse the web like everyone else, if a website bends me over and shoves ads up my backside, I’m not going back. Our new ad partner has already been very responsive on working to tone down the aggressiveness of the AI, and we have been reviewing and adjusting multiple times just today alone, and will continue to do so. That said, most websites, that are not tiny and hobbyist in nature have moved to more aggressive ads, because that is the only way to pay the bills. I apologize for anyone that has been ‘bent over’. We will keep working to find the happy medium between keeping the lights on, and abusing the community.

This was partially changed already. We’re reviewing the footprint and will potentially make changes over the weekend or Monday.

I apologize, we’re working on that.

I was told the vignette should not show for everyone every time, and show to a visitor no more than once per day. This is another “feature” that we’re reviewing and will either tone down or eliminate if it can’t be done respectfully and minimally.

Phil already addressed this, but it’s important. I agree. You should no longer see ads. Additionally, my goal is to not serve ads on your vendor pages. This might not be feasible, but vendors are a crucial part of maintaining the community we’ve all worked so hard to build. This is a partnership, which means you’re an equal partner and need to feel the reciprocal appreciation. If I can do it, I will (along with some other ideas I’ve been mulling over to improve the value of the vendor program).

No need to go, when you can just click. You can get varicose vein relief and support your favorite gentleman’s lifestyle community all with the press of your thumb. :ihih:

$25, or $2.08 per month is all it takes to remove the ads. Near 15 years ago, I could pay the $40 a month in server costs… I could handle the vBulletin upgrades myself. That said, B&B long ago far outpaced my technical abilities and my and Joel’s ability to fund a hobby. Now, instead of being a hobbyist site that only requires a basic account, or maybe a VPS, we have a server for our database, a server for our cached content, a server for our media (stay close, big functionality improvement coming soon), a backup server for redundancy… All of that isn’t standard out of the box functionality, so we have a world class system admin who doesn’t only do server management, but codes custom script to be able to make the myriad of add-ons (we pay for annually) work together without completely falling apart. Franchise tax fees, CPA, etc. etc.

I use ad blockers too. I absolutely HATE ads. I get it. That said, in this online world, if you’re not paying for the service, then you’re the commodity. For websites that I frequent, I turn off the ad blocker, or I pony up fo ad free experience. I’d ask that those of you that are like me with an ad blocker, please consider the same. Otherwise, we can continue to consolidate until the web consists of nothing but Google, Reddit, Facebook, and Bing (seriously Microsoft?) where as smart as we think we are with ad blockers and privacy filters, they’re smarter.
Very informative response, @Nick - especially this:
in this online world, if you’re not paying for the service, then you’re the commodity.
Well said: This is the reality of the online world.

There are ads in with other posts as well for me. 2-3 per page.
When initially clicking on anything I have an ad pop up that has to be removed to continue.
5 ads on my screen at at time - everytime.

My iPhone seems to be totally normal and Ad free, but my iPad is still being harassed by pop ups that follow me around and won’t let me enter threads unless I click on them.

Ugh. Ads everywhere. I understand the trade-off we make: free sites for viewing ads, but the current ratio is way out of balance.

Also, when I swipe-right on my MacBook Air (Safari) the cursor goes back to near the top of the forums, not to the thread I was reading or anything near it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom