What's new

(Slaps link to thread) You Can Fit So Much Wrong In This Journal

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Wasn’t as able with DE or GEM blade, but the 50mm blade left me the ultimatum of learn or be scratchy.

The other part explains why the j-hook and occasional zig zags are periodically easy.

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
RazoRock Hawk V3OC
Schick Proline P-series (10)
Ω10048 boar brush
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Pre-shave: Face wash with PdP milk bath soap
Lather: Col Conk Unscented
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: hot shower

Lather was better, but I chased the baby…

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
RazoRock Hawk V3OC
Schick Proline P-series (11)
Ω10048 boar brush
Pre-shave: Hot shower
Lather: Col Conk Unscented

Tried showering first to see if it would help soften my whiskers more. My face seemed to hold more water which helped with the lather. Having a runny lather after showering feels inconvenient.

Did a little better shaving lighter. Did one shallow pass and one steep pass. Had a little more left over around my throat, so I binned the blade instead of doing yet another cleanup pass. Aftershave stung, but not like recent shaves.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
RazoRock Hawk V3OC
Schick Proline P-series (1)
Ω10048 boar brush
Pre-shave: Face wash with PdP Milk bath soap
Lather: Mostly Stirling Unscented with Beeswax
Post-shave: Face wash with shave binky

A few weepers, but less than the last first use of a Proline. Was able to concentrate on moving pressure towards back of cap. Aftershave sting was less again, but enough to say I did it all wrong.

@JoWolf has got me thinking. A lot. Refined shea is on its way. As a daily shaver, other bits are being considered and counter examples pop up mentally and I don’t know if I believe them because they make sense or because I want to.

Happy shaves, everyone!

Last night’s shave
RazoRock Hawk V3OC
Schick Proline P-series (1)
Ω10048 boar brush
Pre-shave: Face wash with PdP Milk bath soap

A few weepers, but less than the last first use of a Proline. Was able to concentrate on moving pressure towards back of cap. Aftershave sting was less again, but enough to say I did it all wrong.

@JoWolf has got me thinking. A lot. Refined shea is on its way. As a daily shaver, other bits are being considered and counter examples pop up mentally and I don’t know if I believe them because they make sense or because I want to.

Happy shaves, everyone!
I hope the Shea will add an improvement to your shave Thom. I look forward to your experience and review with it.

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
RazoRock Hawk V3OC
Schick Proline P-series (2)
Ω10048 boar brush
Pre-shave: hot shower
Pre-shave: castor oil

Gave the castor oil a little time to absorb and went on to face lathering with the notion the oil probably wouldn’t increase slickness. Lather was very slick. Nicked myself under both corners of the jawline and the center of my chin, but had an otherwise alright time.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
RazoRock Hawk V3OC
Schick Proline P-series (3)
Ω10048 boar brush
Pre-shave: refined shea butter

So… On cleanup of my upper lip, I got a little better at keeping the edge off my face. Would’ve been nicer if the ah-hah moment was at the start of the shave, but, well, it happened before the next one, so yay future

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
RazoRock Hawk V3OC
Schick Proline P-series (4)
Maggards 30mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: face wash with PdP Milk bath soap
Lather: ARKO!

Put some refined shea butter on about eight hours before the shave - it smells better than the rancid and unrefined one I had bought months ago, but still not one I enjoyed. Maybe the Stockholm syndrome will change that…

Washed my face and was going to shave before showering, but the temper valve in the shower needed some limescale shook off it so I showered after doing that to test my work. Success! Between washing my face and taking the shower, I applied more refined shea butter to my face and neck.

My shaves have been not good lately. While part of that is from switching razors, I also started making thicker lathers and those aren’t my jam. The return of the synthetic brush, ARKO!, and a slippery and runny lather.

The return of the King!

Nope. Ouch. Nicked my upper lip right in the middle because I fought it instead of tilting the razor.

The furlough of the viscount!

Happy shaves, everyone!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Last night’s shave
RazoRock Hawk V3OC
Schick Proline P-series (4)

Put some refined shea butter on about eight hours before the shave - it smells better than the rancid and unrefined one I had bought months ago, but still not one I enjoyed. Maybe the Stockholm syndrome will change that…

Washed my face and was going to shave before showering, but the temper valve in the shower needed some limescale shook off it so I showered after doing that to test my work. Success! Between washing my face and taking the shower, I applied more refined shea butter to my face and neck.

My shaves have been not good lately. While part of that is from switching razors, I also started making thicker lathers and those aren’t my jam. The return of the synthetic brush, ARKO!, and a slippery and runny lather.

The return of the King!

Nope. Ouch. Nicked my upper lip right in the middle because I fought it instead of tilting the razor.

The furlough of the viscount!

Happy shaves, everyone!
BOSC%20Motto.jpg
1631383087204.png

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
Fatip Grande
Bic Chrome Platinum (2)

Blade was harsh on one side, but I can’t remember which. Still smoother than my recent shaves with the RazoRock Hawk V3OC New Bic in the Grande for next time.

Happy shaves, everyone!

Last night’s shave
Fatip Grande
Bic Chrome Platinum (2)

Blade was harsh on one side, but I can’t remember which. Still smoother than my recent shaves with the RazoRock Hawk V3OC New Bic in the Grande for next time.

Happy shaves, everyone!

Blade was harsh on one side,
It could have been a bad blade. A reminder Thom. Grande must always be checked for alignment after blade load.

An excellent time to review Safety Razor Parameters: Illustrated and Defined - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Safety_Razor_Parameters:_Illustrated_and_Defined

Blade extension also effects blade gap which effects comfort big time. Mike @esso explained with diagrams, but I could not find the link. Please help Mike.

Bic Platinum an excellent blade for me and my #2 favourite. Their sharpness is off a tick compared to the Feather for me. Their smoothness is up a tick for me compared to the Feather. A lot better price than Feathers as well. Nice blade and more economical for single use if price is an irritant.

Thom on a different note. The Avatars you and Mike use now rock Magenta background colour. Coincidental?

Does your dog bite?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Grande must always be checked for alignment after blade load.

amen-anchorman.gif

Blade extension also effects blade gap which effects comfort big time. Mike @esso explained with diagrams, but I could not find the link. Please help Mike.

There have been so many I've posted I wouldnt know where to start looking, John lol.

Bic Platinum an excellent blade for me and my #2 favourite. Their sharpness is off a tick compared to the Feather for me. Their smoothness is up a tick for me compared to the Feather. A lot better price than Feathers as well. Nice blade and more economical for single use if price is an irritant.

I agree with all of that. Bic Chromes work for me.

Thom on a different note. The Avatars you and Mike use now rock Magenta background colour. Coincidental?

The pink in our avatars is in respect and support to Sue Moore and the upcoming auction to benefit the fight against breast cancer in her name.

thombrogan

Grande must always be checked for alignment after blade load.

Putting the cap down first and loading vertically has seemed to have worked for all my DEs so far. Learned to do it that for the Grande. I think I learned it from @Cal

It could have been a bad blade.

Maybe. It was a second use in a second razor, so I may have ruined it, too, as I didn’t remember it being “ucky” in the previous razor.

Nice blade and more economical for single use if price is an irritant.

Got my packet of 100 for $10usd, so definitely less painful than Feather if every last vestige of sharpness isn’t wrung from the blade.

The Avatars you and Mike use now rock Magenta background colour. Coincidental?

As Mike said, it’s with regards to the October fundraiser fighting breast cancer in honor of the late Sue Moore.

Does your dog bite?

It is not my dog. I just thought an angry-looking doggo would look cool.

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
Fatip Grande
Bic Chrome Platinum (1)
Pre-shave: refined shea butter melted with tap water

I had applied the shea twice earlier that day and was considering skipping it for the shave. Used it. Shave was more comfortable. Likely from the fresh blade and shea in combination. Will do try this routine a few more times and then see if showering before shaving bumps up the comfort. Recently, it only seems to fog the mirror compared to overall results.

(or so I’ve read)

Read that, too. Have also read anecdotes of other platinum-coated blades feeling sharper after multiple uses. I think it’s a case of if one’s shaving routine causes more friction on the sides of the blade than the edge, then the blade is thinner overall and needs less force to cut. Purely speculation, of course.

Happy shaves, everyone!

Putting the cap down first and loading vertically has seemed to have worked for all my DEs so far. Learned to do it that for the Grande. I think I learned it from @Cal

Maybe. It was a second use in a second razor, so I may have ruined it, too, as I didn’t remember it being “ucky” in the previous razor.

Got my packet of 100 for $10usd, so definitely less painful than Feather if every last vestige of sharpness isn’t wrung from the blade.

As Mike said, it’s with regards to the October fundraiser fighting breast cancer in honor of the late Sue Moore.

It is not my dog. I just thought an angry-looking doggo would look cool.

I can never resist using that line. Does your dog bite?

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
Fatip Grande
Bic Chrome Platinum (2)

Even gooder than the previous foray! It was all cap on the skin, guillotine strokes, buffing, and j-hooks with care to avoid feeling the edge on the skin. I think there was a phenomenal 45-50% success rate on that (keeping the edge off the skin), too.

Did a cleanup pass as my buffing was more comfortable than efficient and reapplied the ref shea butter under the lather. By then, my tap water cooled, so using it soften the butter was less of a coup for round two.

Got a single weeper under the Adam’s apple trying to get that last skosh of closeness, but was surprisingly competent-seeming until then. The skin on my neck wasn’t red and the aftershave barely stung.

New Bic in the Grande for next time and plans to keep shaving this way before showering for a few days to see if I can improve on my ability to cut the follicles while avoiding most of the skin and plans to try this post-shower to see if several minutes under the faucet do more than using a shave binky and soap beforehand.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
Fatip Grande
Bic Chrome Platinum (1)

Went a little better. Buffing my face like a dieter scraping the bottom of a yogurt container is coming easy to me and advice gleaned from a bunch of youse guys to keep the edge off my skin. Put a weeper in the middle of my upper lip, but was otherwise gentle to it.

The aftershave stung slightly less than the shave before which was much less than the shave before that. This morning, I don’t feel razor burned, but do feel the mechanical stress of smoothing the cap across my skin. Glad to be escaping Scraped Face City again.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
Fatip Grande
Bic Chrome Platinum (2)
Lather: Col Conk Bay Rum
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky

Wifey had a chai latte yesterday morning and the scent reminded us both of bat rum soaps. The refined shea butter kept the feedback from the scent components to a minimum and keeping the edge off my skin as much as possible helped, too. Aside from a slight warmth on my neck, it was a refreshing fragrance and lots of blessed slickness.

Buffing, j-hooks, guillotine strokes and a little cleanup on the right sideburn area and under the jawline doing the same. Touched edge to skin near the right side of my mouth and had a few red dots from that, but nowhere else. Did a few water-only pickups on stubble that revealed its existence after I washed my face and have ruddy skin where I did so.

I‘m sure the aftershave must’ve stung, but I don’t remember it at all.

Back to ARKO! and a fresh blade for the next shave, but I’ll check out the Col Conk Unscented over refined shea butter soon.

Happy shaves, everyone!

Top Bottom