What's new

My Guess... 3017

12 shaves with WTP Orange. I was on the fence with it; after all, it's a non-sexy, inexpensive, "not a lot of fanfare in the forums" kind of soap. But it does the job and it does it well. I load with a synthetic brush, and face lather it. Didn't get awesome performance with a boar brush, and I transplanted it from an Old Spice mug to a wider dish to make it easier to load.
Overall it does the job well for me. I guess I'll keep it, lol. The stubborn 3017er in me says I better like it, I have a few more pucks of orange, lime and some of the Razorock "label" pucks, all bought on sale.

Gents, after much lurking on this tread and some thought, I’m going to attempt my first 3017 with a near full tub of TOBS St Jermyn cream. Is it OK to load this cream with a damp brush directly and face lather, or should I scoop into a bowl? So far my only experience with creams have been in tubes. Thanks!
There's no wrong way when it comes to Lathering creams in tubs. However I find that facelathering may end up using your tub of cream faster.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

8583FABA-BCAA-4CC6-9433-D27DF5B4F27D.jpeg7DB6B327-F5B7-4834-B07A-7D17B87C211A.jpeg83DD4796-615C-4057-8B3A-20939DC008FA.jpeg
A little underwhelmed with Estoril on the first shave. Resembles Musgo Real and Lavanda at the bottom of the scuttle. Bit thin. Unremarkable scent which I believe to be some mix of citrus and wood. Not particularly protective or moisturizing. Need a couple more shaves with more cream before branding this my least favorite Portuguese cream.

Last edited:
Finished my C&E lavender a while ago. The soap never made that photogenic great lather but the shaves were consistantly very good and the scent was phenomenal. Since that time i've been using a hodgepodge of various slivers i kept finding. While i was clearing some stash mess it wasn't really 3017 noteworthy. I finished, or rather threw away, the remainders today and am getting back to work on knocking down some substantial pucks.

The next soap on deck is Mystic Waters Lilac. I've heard some great things and can't wait to see if it delivers.

Finishing up a slew of samples I found in the back of my cabinet. I'd forgotten about these. They were in a vacuum sealed bag and didn't seem to have lost anything as far as scent goes.

Couple of observations. Most of these were artisan. A number of them were able to simultaneously smell like a bunch of things, and nothing, all at the same time. Another observation, my next to last sample was a sizable chunk of MdC Fougere. I expected it to last quite a while given it's reputation. It didn't. It lasted about the same as a Stirling sample which was about the same size. Speaking of Stirling, a sample of Eskimo Tuxedo, that ended up being my favorite of everything by far in terms of scent, performance and certainly value.

A note about the scents - it had been long enough since I'd bought most of these that I didn't remember anything about the scent descriptions. Most of the artisan stuff had really colorful names. So, I'd wait until I'd killed off the sample, decide what it smelled like to me, and then look up the description. That was fun! I'd think "lemon sugar cookie." Then I'd look up the scent description and inevitably find something like: "Harkening back to a simpler time, this scent evokes a nostalgia for leisure nights spent rocking on a porch..." or "You'll be filled with the thrill of an old world explorer as this scent transports you to an exotic world of spices, woods and excitement..." or some other such thing. Marketing soap is quite the creative endeavor!

Up next will be Dr Jon's Hydra. I have a few citrus soaps for the summer and a stick of Volabra I'll sandwich in the middle. I've never used a Dr Jon's soap, so I'm looking forward to it.

Second Estoril shave was better, but still lacked cushion and glide. I used almost twice as much cream with a TGN Finest. This is my only tube of Estoril, but I have a much larger tube of VIP, which I have been told is the same stuff. Won’t compare until I break the seal on that tube.

Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet shaving cream is not going to last as long as I anticipated. After only about 30 shaves I can already see the ring of death showing up.

I originally "croaped" it because it was literally like a bad diarrhea coming out of the tube. I can't believe Penhaligon's would sell that much water content, but it is what it is. I bought it at a significant discount, so it was ok to try it out.

All in all, it is a decent cream. Performance is maybe a little better than TOBS, but not nearly as good as my favorite soaps like Cella, Tabac, La Toja, MWF, Valobra, or MDC. Also, among British creams Castle Forbes remains my #1 choice. Penhaligon's scent is great, so one would purchase such a cream for its scent alone. My preference is to buy cheaper soaps and then use the money to buy the fragrances.

I will report back once it is finished, it might take a few weeks more.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
IMG_20210616_210101.jpg

Finally finished my Wilkinson Sword Blue puck from 2016. It was my first hard soap and was so bad it was more than 2 years til I tried another hard soap. Of course there was barely enough lather for the first pass with the Yaqi lucky dice so I fired up the Yaqi Moka Express 2 band badger and the Arko stick from 2018 that I am also 3017ing for passes 2 & 3. Razor was the Parker 26C and the blade was the 15th shave with a Gillette Nacet kindly PIF'd by @Multum in parvo
This is my second 3017 of the month and my 5th this year. Looking at the Arko I'm not sure if it will last the rest of the month.

Finished off a puck of MWF. Summer head shaving really helped it disappear.
Coincidentally, I also finished off a puck of MWF today. I recorded 166 shaves on it, but it already had an unknown number of shaves on it when I acquired it via B/S/T. I thought it was going to go longer, but it started to break up and the end came more quickly than I expected. The fact that I had grated it into another container may have had something to do with it breaking up at the end.

Top Bottom