What's new

How long do TTO razors really last?

The other day I was gifted both the Feather Popular and the Feather Adjustable razor for my birthday. I did hear some springy sounds while twisting the knob to open the butterfly doors, so I took a little bit of oil and poured it down the centre to lubricate the moving parts. What I wanted to know was, with regular lubrication (maybe once a month?) and decent usage (three shaves a week), how many years can I get out of my razor? Does water going down the centre cause corrosion easily? If so, how do I ensure that the metal components don't corrode? Thank you guys for your answers!

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Please make sure that the oil you add is not corrosive to plastic. Silicone oil can avoid damaging the plastic parts of this razor.

If properly maintained, avoid excessive tightening and avoid falling, they should be able to give you at least five years or even more than ten years of shaving, so there is no need to worry.

If you develop a hobby of shaving because of this, you may have bought a new razor before they expire.

R

romsitsa

Hello, it depends on the construction of the razor, regular maintenance, quality of water, etc.
Simple TTO-s, like your Feather, should last forever. It doesn't really need lubrication, nickel lubricates itself.
Complex TTO-s like Gillette adjustales, can develop pretty nasty things, without some maintenance, but in general brass TTO-s are hard to kill.

I've got a sixty-four year old Gillette Super Speed that looks and shaves like it is brand new, right out of the box. I also have a seventy plus year old Gillette Super Speed that looks and shaves like it is new except that the end caps (decorative as I understand) were missing from the razor when I purchased it.

So a well-built and well-cared for TTO razor can last decades.

Hello, it depends on the construction of the razor, regular maintenance, quality of water, etc.
Simple TTO-s, like your Feather, should last forever. It doesn't really need lubrication, nickel lubricates itself.
Complex TTO-s like Gillette adjustales, can develop pretty nasty things, without some maintenance, but in general brass TTO-s are hard to kill.

Have you looked at a Feather Popular, held one in your hand, used one, or at least looked at a picture of one?

I have.

It is a lightweight, flimsy, plastic, fragile piece of junk. I gave it away. I was never able to get anywhere near a close shave with one.

In China, you can buy one online and have it shipped to your for 10 yuan - $1.50.

If you have tried Feather blades, real ones with security strips on the tucks, and had your doubts, these plastic jokes should convince you that Feather is putting a lot of Westerners on.

Last forever? Only if you never use it. The handle and body is made of plastic, not nickel. And they have the nerve to charge Westerners $20, $30 or more for it. How do you say "chutzpah" in Japanese?

R

romsitsa

Have you looked at a Feather Popular, held one in your hand, used one, or at least looked at a picture of one?

I have.

Yes, I had. The Popular is not as bad as Astras, which are still around and kicking after 50 years.

A Feather Popular might last a few years. If you want something that will last almost indefinitely, consider getting a three-piece razor in brass or stainless steel. My Gillette Tech was made in the early 1940s and still works great, there's just a bit of wear on the plating. My Fatip razors are all-brass and should last quite a long time, unless I smash them on the floor or something like that.

For a rough estimate not specific to TTOs, see How long have you been using your (oldest) razor? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/how-long-have-you-been-using-your-oldest-razor.603670/

My Feather Popular was in use for 3 years. Eventually, the bottom cap completely corroded so I had to remove it. Also after a couple of hundred shaves, I noticed that the plastic safety bars weren't straight any longer but partially bent when I close the razor. As a result, the razor became uncomfortable to use (requiring pressure) and I found a better use for it. I also lubricated mine when the razor would squeak btw.

For a rough estimate not specific to TTOs, see How long have you been using your (oldest) razor? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/how-long-have-you-been-using-your-oldest-razor.603670/

My Feather Popular was in use for 3 years. Eventually, the bottom cap completely corroded so I had to remove it. Also after a couple of hundred shaves, I noticed that the plastic safety bars weren't straight any longer but partially bent when I close the razor. As a result, the razor became uncomfortable to use (requiring pressure) and I found a better use for it. I also lubricated mine when the razor would squeak btw.
LOL. The plastic safety guards on my Feather Popular were bent right out of the box when I bought it 13 years ago. Plastic junk. I have only used it like 30-40 times. And it never can give me a BBS, whatever blades used, even with a Feather or Super Iridium. Now, the Feather Portable is something completely different.

Frankly, it is amazing to be able to shave with a century old Old Type razor, whether bought in excellent condition or as a fixer upper.

But I don't think that's what Gillette had in mind when they made any of their razors. Most customers were perfectly happy if their Gillette Techs or TTOs lasted 10 or 15 years.

Yes, a Fatip is in the class of potentially immortal razors. But, in general, it is unreasonable to demand that a moderately priced razor last forever, or even more than five or 10 years, in the lower price range. On the other hand, as many of you own three or four, or thirty of forty, or three hundred or four hundred, razors, yes, I expect they will last a lifetime.

But the Feather Popular (which is made in China) doesn't fall into any of those categories. It falls into the category: Looks good in a photo posted on a shop webpage.

We are going to be seeing more and more of those innovative looking razors that are designed to look good online, but might not last more than a year or two. Frankly, I am never going to buy any razor that is not plated in chrome or some other conventional, reputable method; I do not trust these funny coatings one bit. And, while there are some reputable "plastic" razors, I would NEVER buy a razor made primarily of flimsy plastic, like the Feather Popular. What's the point?

romsitsa said:

"The Popular is not as bad as Astras, which are still around and kicking after 50 years."

The Feather Popular is a razor. Astras are razor blades, which are, indeed, still made. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
R

romsitsa

romsitsa said:

"The Popular is not as bad as Astras, which are still around and kicking after 50 years."

The Feather Popular is a razor. Astras are razor blades, which are, indeed, still made. Am I missing something?

Search for Astra 501, Wizamet W-5 and be amazed that these are still working.

TTO longevity would as others have stated depend on materials. Wearing items would be any Zamak that is exposed (coating/plating worn off), plastics, nylon, rubber bushings etc. So if the TTO is made of a copper alloy (vintage, modern Parker and Weishi) or stainless steals, should live a very long life. The other factors would be threading and springs or metal fatigue (zamak mosty) etc.

TTO longevity would as others have stated depend on materials. Wearing items would be any Zamak that is exposed (coating/plating worn off), plastics, nylon, rubber bushings etc. So if the TTO is made of a copper alloy (vintage, modern Parker and Weishi) or stainless steals, should live a very long life. The other factors would be threading and springs or metal fatigue (zamak mosty) etc.
The modern Parker TTOs have only brass handles as far as I know, the head is mostly ZAMAK.

Top Bottom