What's new

How long do TTO razors really last?

One of the unstated reasons for the invention of the Gillette butterfly, aka TTO, was the fact that nearly everyone back then shaved with carbon steel blades, which could rust if not dried after each use. Stainless blades did not come into common use until the 1960s. And not all stainless blades are so rust resistant; anyone leave a wet Feather blade in their razor?

I, for one, take a few moments after each shave to open my razor, dry the blade (whether stainless or carbon) and razor, and reassemble, not closing it fully. Back in the old days of the Old Type, the Gillette ads instructed customers to open, dry and reassemble their razors after each use.

A 1937 ad for a Sheraton OC TTO actually touts the time savings: "Blades Changed in 3 Seconds!"

View attachment 1264308

You want to be rich, 5whiskey: if only you had bought a thousand of these at 98 cents each and put them in your attic. What do they go for on 3Bay now (with case and tuck of blades)?

I did not have a Sheraton to test, but my Aristocrat timing of 3.2 seconds was not entirely off, sort of. How the heck can you open, remove blade, insert new blade, and close, all in 3 seconds? And this was prior to the fingers-free blade dispensers. So my guess is the 3 seconds came from the time to twist open the razor, a detail the marketing department conveniently lost sight of. And, it's more like: "Twist! Twist! Twist! Twist! Twist!" -- but who's counting.

The fact remains, the time savings was part of the marketing of this, one of the first Gillette TTO razors.

Also, note: "Sturdily built -- heavily gold plated -- it's guaranteed to last a lifetime!" Please note, that's "A" lifetime, in other words, 1 (one) lifetime. Unless you are the original owner, you are out of luck if you encounter a manufacturing defect.

"The Sheraton is the greatest razor value ever offered!" -- Now that I would have to agree with, even though with inflation it probably comes out to about $20.* Anyone know of a better deal? I used to assume that most men back then only owned one razor, but with Gillette selling razors so cheaply and introducing new, improved models periodically, I have to suspect a lot of guys had some extras in the medicine cabinet. Perhaps that's why we see some beautiful, barely used razors for sale today.

BTW, I wonder where they got the name "Sheraton"?

-=-

* I don't think the official inflation tables are entirely accurate when you compare today's dollars to the price of real products in the past, like the price of a candy bar or an automobile or a new house. Back in the early 60s, a Hershey's bar cost 5 cents, as any kid knew; now it is more like 50 cents. So that's 10x inflation; the inflation came in the 1970s. Prices were a lot cheaper in the 1930s, so I figure 20x inflation to today's dollars. Go back to the Old Type 1910s, and I figure 30x inflation.

Of course, some products have come down in price. This seems to include razor blades. The price of televisions today compared to the 1960s is truly bizarre. The $100 32 inch flat screen TV at Walmart comes out to $10 in old dollars; how would you like to have bought a color TV for $10 in the 1960s, instead of $500?

At that time (1937) Gillette's primary competition ASR was offering the chrome TTO Micromatic with 7 blades for 69 cents. For those keeping score the cap opens in less than 2 seconds :)

Attachments

• St__Louis_Post_Dispatch_Wed__Sep_29__1937_.jpg
    13 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Good read here, thanks! May I ask how long a great shape toggle F4 should last? I have one, barely have used it and have read the toggle mechanism can have issues. Wondering whether to use and abuse, frame it or pass it on.

The toggle tab at the base is zamac, and will wear through eventually, obviously a much shorter time period with daily use, so...

I never had the Toggle passion, but if I did, I would remove the toggle tab, take it to a local machine shop, and spend the ~$75-100 to have one cut from brass rod, then send the whole assembly out for modern gold plating. But that's me.

Good read here, thanks! May I ask how long a great shape toggle F4 should last? I have one, barely have used it and have read the toggle mechanism can have issues. Wondering whether to use and abuse, frame it or pass it on.

I think if you take care of it and don't drop it, it would last a very long time. While none of the Gillette TTO razors were ever meant to be opened for repairs or maintenance once they were made, the majority of them are relatively easy to open and work with.

I'm not 100% sure about the Bottom Dial and the Red Dot Fatboys, but the Toggle are very complicated razors and not very easy to disassemble and work with, which is why not many people would want to service or repair a Toggle. There's a Youtube video made by Matt from Razor Emporium about disassembling a Toggle and explaining the whole method and process in detail and quite frankly I don't think I can do that in a million years without breaking or bending any of those tiny parts.

From what i've seen, the most robust TTO razors made by Gillette are the Super Speeds, Rockets, the late British Aristocrats and Junior Aristocrats. I don't remember seeing one of these with blade misalignments, uneven gap or exposures, but i've seen lots of early Aristocrats both US and UK as well as Fatboys, Slims and Super Adjustables.

One of the unstated reasons for the invention of the Gillette butterfly, aka TTO, was the fact that nearly everyone back then shaved with carbon steel blades, which could rust if not dried after each use. Stainless blades did not come into common use until the 1960s. And not all stainless blades are so rust resistant; anyone leave a wet Feather blade in their razor?

I, for one, take a few moments after each shave to open my razor, dry the blade (whether stainless or carbon) and razor, and reassemble, not closing it fully. Back in the old days of the Old Type, the Gillette ads instructed customers to open, dry and reassemble their razors after each use.

A 1937 ad for a Sheraton OC TTO actually touts the time savings: "Blades Changed in 3 Seconds!"

View attachment 1264308

You want to be rich, 5whiskey: if only you had bought a thousand of these at 98 cents each and put them in your attic. What do they go for on 3Bay now (with case and tuck of blades)?

I did not have a Sheraton to test, but my Aristocrat timing of 3.2 seconds was not entirely off, sort of. How the heck can you open, remove blade, insert new blade, and close, all in 3 seconds? And this was prior to the fingers-free blade dispensers. So my guess is the 3 seconds came from the time to twist open the razor, a detail the marketing department conveniently lost sight of. And, it's more like: "Twist! Twist! Twist! Twist! Twist!" -- but who's counting.

The fact remains, the time savings was part of the marketing of this, one of the first Gillette TTO razors.

Also, note: "Sturdily built -- heavily gold plated -- it's guaranteed to last a lifetime!" Please note, that's "A" lifetime, in other words, 1 (one) lifetime. Unless you are the original owner, you are out of luck if you encounter a manufacturing defect.

"The Sheraton is the greatest razor value ever offered!" -- Now that I would have to agree with, even though with inflation it probably comes out to about $20.* Anyone know of a better deal? I used to assume that most men back then only owned one razor, but with Gillette selling razors so cheaply and introducing new, improved models periodically, I have to suspect a lot of guys had some extras in the medicine cabinet. Perhaps that's why we see some beautiful, barely used razors for sale today.

BTW, I wonder where they got the name "Sheraton"?

-=-

* I don't think the official inflation tables are entirely accurate when you compare today's dollars to the price of real products in the past, like the price of a candy bar or an automobile or a new house. Back in the early 60s, a Hershey's bar cost 5 cents, as any kid knew; now it is more like 50 cents. So that's 10x inflation; the inflation came in the 1970s. Prices were a lot cheaper in the 1930s, so I figure 20x inflation to today's dollars. Go back to the Old Type 1910s, and I figure 30x inflation.

Of course, some products have come down in price. This seems to include razor blades. The price of televisions today compared to the 1960s is truly bizarre. The $100 32 inch flat screen TV at Walmart comes out to $10 in old dollars; how would you like to have bought a color TV for $10 in the 1960s, instead of $500?
I'd always wanted a TTO with open comb, so when an old beat-up Sheraton became available, I jumped on it. It was cheap, so I was worried that it was as mechanically worn out as the finish was.
After a soak to remove soap scum inside & out, it opened and closed smoothly and gave incredible shaves. I sent it out to restore it to its' former glory, so now it looks as good as it shaves.
100_0574.JPG

Opportunity arose to get a Senator. I planned on replating it, but it looks awesome as-is, and shaves like new.
Senator1.jpg

If these are cared for like I do, there is no reason they couldn't last another 100 years from now.

Attachments

• Senator cropped.jpg
    Senator cropped.jpg
    882.1 KB · Views: 0
90 year old Micromatic razors generally speaking don't break. A touch of mineral oil every 50 years generally does the trick if they get stuck. Made to last.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Just to validate what brother Mudrick says, the Micromatic razors are the toughest razors I have encountered. They easily will last "several lifetimes" or longer.

I think they can last for a really long time if you care for them properly, so basically just don't crank on the knob when you're tightening it and maybe don't fidget too much with it. I only have one TTO razor, a Fatboy, which is perfectly functional 62 years after it was first made. I don't think there's been any work done on it based on the fact that it doesn't seem to be replated and it has somewhat normal "good condition" wear and tear for it's age. Shows no signs of stopping, either.

Top Bottom