What's new

How long do TTO razors really last?

If you've never held a Fatboy or slim in your hands it's my opinion you shouldn't be commenting on this thread lol.
I find the comment that Gillette adjustables are complex and blah blah blah absolutely laughable.
Sure, an abused Fatboy may only last 2 or 3 lifetimes, but a well loved Fatboy will last FOREVER.
Ever hear the saying "they don't make 'em like they use to"?... Vintage Gillette epitomizes that saying.
YMWon'tV
16203261788429114012533168795571.jpg

My experience with the feather popular has been good. Mine is about 5 years old and has always worked great. I used it for a while then my wife took it over. She loves it. It has stayed in our shower in a pretty moist environment for years now yet it has no corrosion.

But I have no doubt a solid brass TTO razor is even more durable than a partially plastic feather popular. I have several vintage Gillette TTO razors over 60 years old that function perfectly despite years of regular use.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
My TTO Micromatic Open Comb is older than my dad and still shaves great. My TTO Micromatic Clog Pruf ain’t too shabby, either. Don’t know if your Feather Popular will stand the test of time, but it has twice as many razor edges popping out if it compared to a Micromatic and that’s not nothing.

I have got a black beauty with metal base which is still properly functioning with his at least third owner. And a 67 slim which is not and a bit askew.

So yes they can live long for a long long time even a humble gillette but they can be damaged easily due to the complex construction of a tto adjustable

Guess you didn't disassemble too many.
You guessed incorrectly. Though I've only disassembled to clean, not repair. I've never had one break, but am a bit of a germaphobe so any new to me vintage razor gets broken down, cleaned thoroughly and put back together.

You guessed incorrectly. Though I've only disassembled to clean, not repair. I've never had one break, but am a bit of a germaphobe so any new to me vintage razor gets broken down, cleaned thoroughly and put back together.

My thoughts about Gillettes are basically if they were abused as they were back in the day and still work, they are a good design. People just didn’t take care of DE razors back then like we do now. There would be a whole lot less fixes after vintage acquisitions is this wasn’t the case.

My father never abused his razors but he didn’t handle his like I do mine, yet he never broke his TTO Super Speed and 195. Those razors are long gone but I know he would have used both over 20 years. They still were working as intended after DE left US stores and he went with Norelco.

During every shave, I tilt TTO heads (Include my Gibbs and Rex here too) downward at an angle with every rinse. After the shave, I take the blade out and rinse it down and towel off. After towel off, I whisk any water left inside with a good grip toward my shower. Others store them upside down to achieve this. If I’m using a thicker soap or cream, I’ll go over them with a toothbrush gently to remove any residue. Nope, my dad never did this but his razors still continued to work. I’ll add that they even worked after his sons played with them.

You buy one now that escaped excessive abuse and everything is straight, they should outlive you.

There is a 1930s Micromatic Gem TTO razor in storage in Brookhaven, Georgia, that should still be usable long after all of us are long gone. In fact, it will still be in mint condition, if not NOS, if all goes as planned.

The Gem razor is in one of the world's great Time Capsules, a sort of modern pyramid: the Crypt of Civilization at Oglethorpe University, which was sealed on May 28, 1940, which was a Tuesday. Why they didn't select a Gillette razor is puzzling; perhaps they were afraid it might be difficult to find Gillette blades in the future. As it turns out, it's the single-edge Gem blades that are hard to find, at least shave worthy ones. But fortunately there is a pack of blades included in the time capsule, along with a shaving brush and a cake of soap.

The Crypt of Civilization is scheduled to be unsealed on May 28, 8113, which is a Sunday. That's just 6,092 years and 12 days away! (I think the unsealing date had something to do with our distance from the ancient Egyptian tombs.) Boy, I wish I could be there, and watch them try to fit Gillette DE blades in a Gem!

If you want YOUR favorite TTO razor (suggestion: all metal) to last 6,000 years, just store it in a hermetically sealed, nitrogen filled, waterproof, earthquake proof, nuclear war proof container and bury it in your backyard. Or just put it in a storage locker and prepay for 6,000 years. Don't forget to include blades, instructions and a styptic pencil.

Last edited:
There is a 1930s Micromatic Gem TTO razor in storage in Brookhaven, Georgia, that should still be usable long after all of us are long gone. In fact, it will still be in mint condition, if not NOS, if all goes as planned.

The Gem razor is in one of the world's great Time Capsules, a sort of modern pyramid: the Crypt of Civilization at Oglethorpe University, which was sealed on May 28, 1940, which was a Tuesday. Why they didn't select a Gillette razor is puzzling; ....

Puzzling?? Perhaps it was just the better razor? Or maybe the best selling single razor model of the decade?? Or just the first TTO in production?? Geesh, Gillettists...:)

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Last edited:
For a rough estimate not specific to TTOs, see How long have you been using your (oldest) razor? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/how-long-have-you-been-using-your-oldest-razor.603670/

My Feather Popular was in use for 3 years. Eventually, the bottom cap completely corroded so I had to remove it. Also after a couple of hundred shaves, I noticed that the plastic safety bars weren't straight any longer but partially bent when I close the razor. As a result, the razor became uncomfortable to use (requiring pressure) and I found a better use for it. I also lubricated mine when the razor would squeak btw.
I also noticed the same thing. I'm fairly new to wetshaving, so I didn't think much of it and overlooked it. It also seems to shave fine as per what I can tell. However, what difference would it make in terms of shave quality if the safety bars were bent or straight?

Released third quarter 1930, four years before the Gillette Aristocrat (and several months before the Segal). In production into 1940, many millions sold.

Amazing!

Time to trade in my silver Single Ring for an upgrade to a Gem!

I also noticed the same thing. I'm fairly new to wetshaving, so I didn't think much of it and overlooked it. It also seems to shave fine as per what I can tell. However, what difference would it make in terms of shave quality if the safety bars were bent or straight?

This changes the blade gap. It becomes wider at the ends of the blade, the gap becomes kind of an irregular pentagon. The result is that the parts of the blade farthest from the safety bar are more likely to cause you irritation or weepers. If it shaves fine, ignore it- but if you notice, let's say, inconsistent performance by the razor, then you have a lead to go on.

In my opinion the vintage tto razors seems more robust and solid compared to the new ones and that's because no serious razor company is interested in making good or better/upgraded versions of the vintage ones like they do with 2-3 piece razors. Almost all (if not all) modern tto razors are made in Asia and most of them come from Parker and Pearl from India and the rest are from China. Not saying that they are bad or anything, but the quality of the vintage ones is unquestionably better and with minimal care the vintage ones can easily outlive their owners.

Last edited:
Amazing!

Time to trade in my silver Single Ring for an upgrade to a Gem!
In most cases it would be . Single Rings are notoriously delicate instruments, I'd wager most who dislike them probably have one with a damaged head--which doesn't take much. In contrast the Micromatics are extremely robust and cheap enough for anybody, no trade in required.

You know, I think nothing short of a thermonuclear missile could destroy a vintage gillette. As much as I like my merkur 37C, my gillette takes the lead in build quality. I really doubt my 37C could even last that long. I'll be extremely happy to get 5 years from it.

You know, I think nothing short of a thermonuclear missile could destroy a vintage gillette. As much as I like my merkur 37C, my gillette takes the lead in build quality. I really doubt my 37C could even last that long. I'll be extremely happy to get 5 years from it.
Zamak is extremely intolerant of neglect. My early 80s Futur may have been lightly used before I got it but corrosion like rust never sleeps.

When you say vintage Gillettes that's not entirely true, as I noted the Old Type head is particularly very easily damaged by drops or wacks. Brass Techs not so much.

Zamak is extremely intolerant of neglect. My early 80s Futur may have been lightly used before I got it but corrosion like rust never sleeps.

When you say vintage Gillettes that's not entirely true, as I noted the Old Type head is particularly very easily damaged by drops or wacks. Brass Techs not so much.

I was talking about the TTO. I've never laid my hands on a pre-WW2 razor before.

Top Bottom