What's new

They Don’t Understand

Yeah I’d like to convert more people to this hobby. It’s the spice of life. So many men out there aren’t familiar at all with the DE razor. Many don’t know that it was the predecessor of the cartridge razor. Some assume that we’ve always had cartridge razors.

My dad is a DE shaver and uses MWF/Kent soap with a boar brush and Brut to finish every day of his life. He now has an Edwin Jagger DE I bought him about 7 years ago - before that he had a Wilkinson Sword Classic (black plastic) and a Gillette Knack for about 30 years! He ‘gets it’ and has always detested cartridge/ electric/ disposable. But he does get a little perplexed by my constant exploration of new products!

My wife just kind of rolls her eyes a bit. But she knows it is a lot cheaper than buying expensive cars or gambling etc so she doesn’t really mind!

My close friends all have beards or use electric shavers - they are all in their 30s and are baffled by my hobby!

I consider shaving an intimate and solitary part of my daily routine, a time for myself. My wife appreciates I smell good and have a smooth face, while my two sons have a good example of how a well-groomed man should look like.

That said, I couldn't care less what anyone else might think about it.

There are far, FAR weirder hobbies than enjoying a nice soap and brush. Some people collect bugs and butterflies, which they then dry, embalm or whatnot and then put on display in their living room. How's that for a weird hobby compared to wet-shaving? 😂😂😂

My family think every shave with DE razor is dicing with death. I now play the plastic free card against cartridges. The thing that people comment “how do you shave, you have no stubble and look younger am I doing wrong” say DE razor and they respect you, mention safety razor and they’re like what’s that cartridge.

Another thing, a brush is a brush, no no no no it’s like driving different cars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A couple of years ago a colleague mentioned he uses a one blade razor. I got all excited thinking I'd found another aficionado and started asking if he uses SE or DE razors. He looked at me with utter confusion, turns out he was talking about the Phillips one blade system.

I've tried to convert my dad and my brother but they think I'm crazy. Despite my brother loving a hot towel DE shave at the Turkish barbers.

only talk to persons i think might understand or have an interest.

SR shaving is my "me" time and Zen contemplation.

might take hold with the public sometime.

in a strong marketing move, I noticed a King Gillette display with quite a few items at Meijers this weekend!!!! was surprised about that. Cremo now has competition there!!!

camo

I actually have friends who see my hobby and purchase products for me to display on my shelves:thumbup1:

Attachments

• 1026201822.png
    1026201822.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 70
  • 0222210625_HDR.jpg
    0222210625_HDR.jpg
    8.8 MB · Views: 70
I've come to realise that shaving is a solitary hobby, and we cannot expect others to get as much pleasure or Zen moment from it as we get.

I didn't knew shaving could be an enjoyable time, so I shrugged off any discussion regarding it.

Now when I enjoy it, I can easily have discussions on it, see some product reviews and my email is greeted by new product release from various artisans.

This wasn't fathomable till last year, so I understand why you are baffled by the disinterest of your friends in wet shaving.

They simply haven't experienced a good shave by themselves or they aren't interested in spending hundreds or thousands on shaving products, their interest and priorities are different from you.

Let the world do whatever they are doing, each person has different hobbies, and it is fitting to be so.

I don't understand a lot of things other people do, either. I think "conversion" is not a good idea because it just encourages people to think you are eccentric. If somebody expresses an interest, then you can say a few things about it.

I did get my brother interested, though. I gave him a nice kit for his birthday in 2019. That really came in handy for 2020 with the pandemic. He has to shave whenever he's wearing a face mask.

I have two sons-in-law. One has adopted DE shaving, loves using the Tradere DE I gave him, and likes creams and brushes. The other received the same kit and the DE bug didn't take. It's funny but wet shaving took with the motorcycle police officer, but not the yuppie- go figure.

Top Bottom