What's new

Pellet Gun

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
🤔 Might have been a typo, "shot" for "shlt." Anyways.

Definitely interesting topic, especially interested in high caliber air guns. To use 30 cal buckshot, or cast slugs, especially.

AA
I own a couple of heavy-caliber PCPs: one is a .40 breech-loader that makes about 450 fpe; the other is a .57 muzzle-loader that throws giant minie ball type slugs (don't recall the weight) and makes 600-650 fpe.

Since my HP compressor is in storage, I've not been shooting them much lately. Guess I'd better dig that puppy out, replace the coolant and charge up the heavy artillery come spring.

Look at Pyramid air, Airguns of Arizona, or Airgun Depot. Biggest retailers of air guns in the country. A PCP, pre charged pneumatic is great, but you need special pumps that deliver 3000-4000 psi, or a large tank to get filled at a place like a scuba shop. I have a couple of older spring air types, a FWB 124 sporter thats about 45 years old, I just spent $270 getting it serviced, new piston seals, mainspring ect. I was told the condition it is in makes it worth about $900, I paid about $125 back in 1975. The other is a FWB 300, a match grade recoiless. Both are .177 cal and rather mild mannered to shoot and easy to ****. I recently got a new Diana 54 in .22 and it's a bear to ****, very accurate, and heavy, really needs an adult or older strong teenager for this one.

I would look at something like a HW 30 or Beeman R7, in .177 . Both are barrel cockers, and run around $350. Take care of one and it should last a lifetime. If you get a springer make sure he knows to never fire it without a pellet in the barrel as damage WILL occur and also with a barrel cocker, never pull the trigger when the barrel is open in the cocked position, It may fly forward causing injury and will bend the barrel. Other than that for simplicity I would go with a sprin air type. You can get three types, barrel cocking where it opens much like a double barrel shotgun, then there are side levers and bottom levers, which are what they say, they have a seperate lever for cocking

FWB (Feinwerkbau) is making a nice sporter, Diana, Weihrauch (HW) and Beeman are some quality rifles. My suggestion is to research them go with a mid grade gun, and you should be happy. Pellets are readily available, and good .177 pellets are running $8-10 per 500 nowdays.

Last edited:
Look at Pyramid air, Airguns of Arizona, or Airgun Depot. Biggest retailers of air guns in the country. A PCP, pre charged pneumatic is great, but you need special pumps that deliver 3000-4000 psi, or a large tank to get filled at a place like a scuba shop. I have a couple of older spring air types, a FWB 124 sporter thats about 45 years old, I just spent $270 getting it serviced, new piston seals, mainspring ect, and a FWB 300, a match grade recoiless. Both are .177 cal and rather mild mannered to shoot and easy to ****. I recently got a new Diana 54 in .22 and it's a bear to ****, very accurate, and heavy, really needs an adult or older strong teenager for this one.

I would look at something like a HW 30 or Beeman R7, in .177 . Both are barrel cockers, and run around $350. Take care of one and it should last a lifetime. If you get a springer make sure he knows to never fire it without a pellet in the barrel as damage WILL occur and also with a barrel cocker, never pull the trigger when the barrel is open in the cocked position, It may fly forward causing injury and will bend the barrel. Other than that for simplicity I would go with a sprin air type. You can get three types, barrel cocking where it opens much like a double barrel shotgun, then there are side levers and bottom levers, which are what they say, they have a seperate lever for cocking

FWB (Feinwerkbau) is making a nice sporter, Diana, Weihrauch (HW) and Beeman are some quality rifles. My suggestion is to research them go with a mid grade gun, and you should be happy. Pellets are readily available, and good .177 pellets are running $8-10 per 500 nowdays.

I have recently gotten back into handguns, having gotten a couple of CO2 guns, a restored S&W 78g probably about 30 years old and close match to my S&W M41 .22LR target pistol, and a Crossman 2300s which I am in the process of upgrading the trigger, not that it is that bad to start with. I also have on order a HW 75, which is a single stroke penumatic, that uses only one stroke to precharge a cylinder of air for power. There are some single stroke penumatic rifles available, but I am not familiar with them.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Depends on your state. I've heard of people taking deer in southern states with high powered PCPs. Here in restrictive NY, I believe it's legal to take pests and small game with airguns, while in gun-friendly PA, it is not. Me, I subscribe to the saying, "use enough gun."
And now I suppose I should look into the laws for the Great Lakes State. It does not pay to be ignorant of a law that I may run across.

FarmerTan

Look at Pyramid air, Airguns of Arizona, or Airgun Depot. Biggest retailers of air guns in the country. A PCP, pre charged pneumatic is great, but you need special pumps that deliver 3000-4000 psi, or a large tank to get filled at a place like a scuba shop. I have a couple of older spring air types, a FWB 124 sporter thats about 45 years old, I just spent $270 getting it serviced, new piston seals, mainspring ect, and a FWB 300, a match grade recoiless. Both are .177 cal and rather mild mannered to shoot and easy to ****. I recently got a new Diana 54 in .22 and it's a bear to ****, very accurate, and heavy, really needs an adult or older strong teenager for this one.

I have recently gotten back into handguns, having gotten a couple of CO2 guns, a restored S&W 78g probably about 30 years old and close match to my S&W M41 .22LR target pistol, and a Crossman 2300s which I am in the process of upgrading the trigger, not that it is that bad to start with. I also have on order a HW 75, which is a single stroke penumatic, that uses only one stroke to precharge a cylinder of air for power. There are some single stroke penumatic rifles available, but I am not familiar with them.
Thank you for a very informative post my friend!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Yes in some states its legal to take big game with an air rifle. But bullet placement must be exact and distance relatively close. Saw a video of a guy hunting plains animals in Africa.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Regarding deer hunting it’s a no brained in the county where I live. We have no gun season just archery. Any county in Illinois with a firearm season does not allow rifles. It’s solid slug shot guns, muzzle loaders and handguns.

FarmerTan

Regarding deer hunting it’s a no brained in the county where I live. We have no gun season just archery. Any county in Illinois with a firearm season does not allow rifles. It’s solid slug shot guns, muzzle loaders and handguns.
My area in Michigan has just had rifle hunting for 2? seasons. Another stupid law because of people with no common sense. If a bullet from a rifle in my woods could go more than 100 yards I'd eat my hat. Laws on top of laws because you have to aim the law at people who should not be allowed out in the woods because they are too stupid to know which end of the gun to point. Ugh!

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
🤔 Might have been a typo, "shot" for "shlt." Anyways.

Definitely interesting topic, especially interested in high caliber air guns. To use 30 cal buckshot, or cast slugs, especially.

AA
He should have typed "rooster" instead of the euphemism! :lol:
I have been looking at an Umarex Hammer .50 as they are legal for whitetail (.40cal and larger) and most nuisance species (hogs) and predators (Coyotes) here in Arkansas

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I wanted any of these as a youth, but also like the Benjamin and especially Sheridan (before they merged). I did recognize that the single **** air piston was a superior design, but the variable pump has it's place too (shooting birds in buildings and such)

FarmerTan

I wanted any of these as a youth, but also like the Benjamin and especially Sheridan (before they merged). I did recognize that the single **** air piston was a superior design, but the variable pump has it's place too (shooting birds in buildings and such)
Ya ever pull the trigger on a "Roostered" shot gun inside a barn getting rid of pigeons? Yeah, me neither!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Ya ever pull the trigger on a "Roostered" shot gun inside a barn getting rid of pigeons? Yeah, me neither!
One of my favorite lines from Rio Lobo, said by Jack Elam

"-those triggers are *wired back*! So you can see what happens if my *thumbs* slip; And my thumbs *ain't* as strong as they *used* to be!"

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
One of my favorite lines from Rio Lobo, said by Jack Elam

"-those triggers are *wired back*! So you can see what happens if my *thumbs* slip; And my thumbs *ain't* as strong as they *used* to be!"
Another variation on that theme

I have decided that I need to shoot more this year and I have dusted off my air guns. I have a couple of guns I bought and a few that dad owned. I am starting to clean and tune them up. I have a Benjamin 130 pistol, Daisy 99 champion, Daisy 777 pistol, Daisy Powerline 953, a Crossman .22 rifle and a couple others. Just sent my Benjamin 130 pistol off to get rebuilt, That is a pre 1957 and I did not want to do it myself. The Daisy 777 seams to shot good, the 99 and the 953 need a little attention. Just got a chronograph to fine tune the guns. This will be a good stress reducer.

Look at Pyramid air, Airguns of Arizona, or Airgun Depot. Biggest retailers of air guns in the country. A PCP, pre charged pneumatic is great, but you need special pumps that deliver 3000-4000 psi, or a large tank to get filled at a place like a scuba shop. I have a couple of older spring air types, a FWB 124 sporter thats about 45 years old, I just spent $270 getting it serviced, new piston seals, mainspring ect. I was told the condition it is in makes it worth about $900, I paid about $125 back in 1975. The other is a FWB 300, a match grade recoiless. Both are .177 cal and rather mild mannered to shoot and easy to ****. I recently got a new Diana 54 in .22 and it's a bear to ****, very accurate, and heavy, really needs an adult or older strong teenager for this one.

That brings back memories. I purchased a FWB 124 in the late seventies and used it for years. It was an excellent air rifle. I gave it to a son of a friend of mine about 20 years ago when I no longer used it. I took out quite a few squirrels with it when I was a young man in love with hunting and the woods.

I just looked up info on one of the single stroke pneumatics, the Wiehrauch HW90 and learned the cocking effort is 46 lbs. My old FWB 124 if I remember correctly is 19 lbs. My new Diana 54 AirKing Pro is 39 lbs and for an old man that is a bit of effort. With the side lever and a ratchet system I do not have to do it all in one long stroke which is a big help.

Top Bottom