What's new

Cheap shaver thread.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
You can start a thread, just as you did this one (or better yet, simply use this one). You cannot start a sub-forum.

Yeah, but how cheap can you go and still honestly say you consistently get supremely comfortable, no irritation BBS quality shaves? I can honestly say I get that with an EJ DE89, Crystal blades, a puck of PdP which will last a year, a Simpson T2 synthetic, and 4711 cologne as aftershave.
I completely agree with you

As Sam mentioned, you're free to start a club in the C&B section. There are also plenty of threads all over the forum about inexpensive items people enjoy. The creation of a new subforum is up to the mods but I doubt it'll happen. It took many years to finally get the modern shaving subforum and there were way more people asking for it.

I think we net out at close to the same place. I spent more on my razor ($175 for an AS-D2), less for my second brush (Simpson T2 synthetic for around $20. Wish I had known how good synthetics could be before I bought the Kent BK4, but I have to admit it is wonderful with MdC.), skipped the scuttle, and spend less on blades ($12 for 100 Crystals. I recall you are a Feathers guy.). I just spent more on soap for some MdC fougere, but it is huge and looks as if its life will be measured in years. I am confident on a per shave basis it will meet or beat my others. I also buy my aftershave in 800 ml jugs for under $40. A single one lasts about a year. So as I stand now the things I do not use regularly are limited to my EJ DE89, two soaps I am about halfway through (TOBS sandalwood and PdP), and about fifty more PIR blades. Eventually I'll use them all up except for the DE89.
I could be satisfied with
EJ DE89
Voskhod blades
Hot towel
MWF soap
Simpson’s T3 brush
Pinaud Clubman
but I like nicer things

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I find the idea of buying 3 years worth of "urinal soap" (yes some people literally label Arko this way) kinda scary.

Worse than getting a three year supply of ARKO! and not liking it is missing out on a three year supply of ARKO! If you like it, mazes tov! If it leaves something to be desired, you’ll have a twelve pack of emergency fuel sticks.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
So how do we set up a Cheapshaver forum?
There are some very successful groups in the Clubs and Brotherhoods room.

There are also some groups that languish with few posts.

Perhaps the best path forward is to establish your Brotherhood and build your group? If you choose to do so, it's incumbent on the Group Members to keep your eyes open for new members who fit the Brotherhood requirements and let them know about the group.

Make sure you also keep this thread going so that new B&B members see it.

Just my thoughts on the matter and YMMV. :)

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Perhaps you could attract new members to the Cheap Shavers Brotherhood by offering free things to new members. For example, the first 100 people to sign up receive a free 26mm Paladin Chief... that sort of thing would really bring 'em in.

But seriously, I think it is a good idea. Good luck with it.

I’ve been thinking about names for your group.

BOTS=Brotherhood of Thrifty Shavers
SOTS=Society of Thrifty Shavers
ROOTS=Royal Order of Thrifty Shavers

Of course you could always substitute Tightwad for Thrifty.

At some point I will break even and after that I will save money. After trying about 30 razors I already reduced my "rotation" to a single razor. I have totally owned 5 brushes and 3 of them I have thrown away and the last two (both Omega Boar) will stay. I never tried a lot of soaps, instead I made them myself and when I quit soapmaking I tried a few creams before settling on Speick (which is closest to the performance of my own soap). I never bought any aftershave, I also made it myself and nowadays I skip it almost every shave. Sometimes I give myself a splash of Witch Hazel with a bit of menthol crystals dissolved.

My SSSR:
  • iKon X3 head with Saiver handle
  • Sputnik blades
  • Speick cream
  • Omega Boar soap
  • A normal coffee cup for soaking brush before face lathering
  • Sometimes a splash of Witch Hazel with menthol.
The goal of the SSSR club (which I founded on this forum but currently does not have any other members than me) is not to save money, but to reduce the shaving routine to something that is repeated each shave. Like that one is able to hone the skills. Of course it will lead to some money saving in the long run too.
I use the same razor, blade, aftershave treatment and usually the same soap. About 1 out of 30 shaves will use a different soap.

My SSSR is:
Rockwell 6S #4 plate
Feather Blade
Proraso White Preshave
Mitchell’s Wool Fat soap
Savana Shave Scuttle
Bosomo Alum Block
Hyaluronic Acid
Kouros EDT

The things I vary:
Brush - rotate between RR 400, WCS Synthetic, EJ Super Badger
Moisturizer - CeraVe AM, First Aid Moisturizer