What's new

Cheap shaver thread.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Yeah, but how cheap can you go and still honestly say you consistently get supremely comfortable, no irritation BBS quality shaves? I can honestly say I get that with an EJ DE89, Crystal blades, a puck of PdP which will last a year, a Simpson T2 synthetic, and 4711 cologne as aftershave.

I like this better. Can I use Arko? Of course I can! Do I want to? Not really! But I can buy a puck of Goodfellas' Smile Abysso for $12 and use that for 60 shaves. I bought a Barrister and Mann Tuxedo synthetic brush from their website for $10...great brush! 100 Derby Premium blades are $10. a 14oz bottle of Lustray Spice is $12. Drugstore Witch Hazel is $4 a bottle for 16oz.

Now razor...that's another story. I like my Karve brass OC. Bought the head and base plate for $52 US and a handle from West Coast Shaving for $20. Cheap? No. Good? Heck yeah!

I think it would be a good idea to start up a section like this though. Interesting sharing. For example...that Lustray Spice I mentioned...good stuff! Cheap! Keeping that in my rotation!

In theory, it's a good idea, because the main forum can easily give an intimidating picture of the hobby for a newbie.

It's unrealistic to think most people approaching wet shaving want to blow a hundred bucks on something they might like or not like, when mainstream outlets sells razors & blades for $10 or $15 bucks, and $5 to $10 for a decent gel, and most importantly there is no fixation (sorry) on brushes and lathering paraphernalia, all of which is entirely superfluous for someone who's just starting out (no problem, you can thank nail me to the cross later)

Going from shaving that way, to seeing people casually observe that yeah, that "cheap" $50 razor is just training wheels to be cast aside after a month, when you're ready to "upgrade" to the flavor-of-the-month $300 unobtainium face peeler is very possibly so drastic, that it loses the majority of potential newbies from the get-go.

In practice, I believe the 'problem' with supporting a frugal shaving section is that there aren't a million options out there.

What can be acquired cheaply is already a limited subset of all that is available, the pool is not as lively, as there is less interest on the supply side, and spending $10 to $30 on shipping from the other side of the world only makes sense if the order is of high value, so options are limited to what is locally available for the most part.

Once mostly everything that is easily acquired has been tried, and a part set aside for one reason or another, it's not like there's a new thing every day?

Strictly from a community standpoint, it stands to reason there is a balance to be struck between showcasing the excesses (sorry) of hard-core serial acquirers, and easing the transition for new folks without scaring them away.

But that is for owners and admins to decide, it's their forum and they get to set the course.

The only problem with the Clubs & Brotherhoods idea is these discussions are somewhat hidden from new people joining. They are out of view of most people unless they deliberately check in on them.

This a million times.

My understanding is that C&B was set up that way exactly to host discussions that follow the daily update model, but in truth it just ends up being this segregated corner that is mostly hidden, while threads with dozens or hundreds of pages still thrive in other parts of the forum.

The reason I got into Brotherhoods is because there's a ton of buried excellent content which can be unearthed by using external search tools.

so many great 'cheap' shave options!!

proraso omega gillette tech pinaud clubman march 23 2015.jpg

I'm reminded of another well known American shaving discussion site sponsored by a shaving gear merchant where any mention of restraint leads to the post being removed and a warning issued to the offending member that any future reference to frugality or self control will lead to permanent banishment from the site.

I can't tell if you are joking .. did this really happen ? :(

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
This is a fascinating topic, and it reminds me of a stereo forum on which I am active. Countless threads there fall into (a) I want to get into stereo, specifically vinyl records, and I want to keep it under $500 for turntable, cartridge, electronics, and speakers, (b) I have scrimped, saved, and talked my SO into buying a stereo in the $3000-5000 range. What is best in that range? (c) I have found a way to spend more on stereo than most spend on cars (or houses). Let's talk about $25,000 turntables with $10,000 cartridges. On the b and c examples the point of diminishing returns is inevitably raised and nuances that smack of the Emperor's new clothes are debated. The dollars are not nearly as crazy with shaving, but there is a similarity. Does a Wolfman really put a Rockwell or a Feather to shame? Most of us will never know firsthand! Does a Rockwell truly beat the heck out of a DE89? Many will find out. Is that $20 house brand as good as a Muhle or a Merkur?

This is a fascinating topic, and it reminds me of a stereo forum on which I am active. Countless threads there fall into (a) I want to get into stereo, specifically vinyl records, and I want to keep it under $500 for turntable, cartridge, electronics, and speakers, (b) I have scrimped, saved, and talked my SO into buying a stereo in the $3000-5000 range. What is best in that range? (c) I have found a way to spend more on stereo than most spend on cars (or houses). Let's talk about $25,000 turntables with $10,000 cartridges. On the b and c examples the point of diminishing returns is inevitably raised and nuances that smack of the Emperor's new clothes are debated. The dollars are not nearly as crazy with shaving, but there is a similarity. Does a Wolfman really put a Rockwell or a Feather to shame? Most of us will never know firsthand! Does a Rockwell truly beat the heck out of a DE89? Many will find out. Is that $20 house brand as good as a Muhle or a Merkur?

Hobbies will always have high priced items that function great, but the law of diminishing returns always applies. Like your example of audio equipment, this applies to my other hobby of guitar playing. I love my $2,000+ dollar Fender Stratocaster with vintage 50s specs, but I'd take my old Mexican made Strat from when I was a kid over it any day. One may be "better", but my old beat up Mexican Strat has the mojo and the bumps, chips, and dings all have a story. Both play music fine, but the price difference is unbelievable.

It's always fun to splurge, but when it comes to "getting the job done", it can be done without breaking the bank. I'll take a good deal over anything, no matter how broke or rich I am.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Hobbies will always have high priced items that function great, but the law of diminishing returns always applies. Like your example of audio equipment, this applies to my other hobby of guitar playing. I love my $2,000+ dollar Fender Stratocaster with vintage 50s specs, but I'd take my old Mexican made Strat from when I was a kid over it any day. One may be "better", but my old beat up Mexican Strat has the mojo and the bumps, chips, and dings all have a story. Both play music fine, but the price difference is unbelievable.

It's always fun to splurge, but when it comes to "getting the job done", it can be done without breaking the bank. I'll take a good deal over anything, no matter how broke or rich I am.
I feel that way about my older guitar, too!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I'm reminded of another well known American shaving discussion site sponsored by a shaving gear merchant where any mention of restraint leads to the post being removed and a warning issued to the offending member that any future reference to frugality or self control will lead to permanent banishment from the site.
Really, which one. You can dm me the answer if you can't say it here. I find that funny.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Though I own some hoighty toighty gear, I also own some definite budget stuff and I would enjoy following along and participating and sharing my experiences with my applicable gear.

Yeah, but how cheap can you go and still honestly say you consistently get supremely comfortable, no irritation BBS quality shaves? I can honestly say I get that with an EJ DE89, Crystal blades, a puck of PdP which will last a year, a Simpson T2 synthetic, and 4711 cologne as aftershave.

I can honestly state that I can get a close, comfortable, quality shave with a five dollar "antique mall" Tech, a German Wilky blade that cost somewhere between ten and twenty cents (depending on when/where I got them), and a bar of Ivory soap that I lather up by rubbing between my hands and massaging onto my face. (I've also, at times, used home-made soap made from old cooking grease and lye, which is even cheaper; but, I doubt many people would do that.)

But, while frugal can work well, it's not as interesting as having a variety of razors, soaps, creams, brushes, scents, and other paraphernalia and options.

Yeah, that's why I didn't join the forum and don't order from that guy

If we are talking about getting consistently good shaves and keeping the budget down low (without going cheapo just to prove a point), for me :

Razor : Parker Variant Adjustable, $ 50 or if I'm traveling then Pearl SS-09 @ $ 4,74
Cream : Old Spice Original/ Musk, $ 0,80
Blade : Wilkinson Sword (India) @ $ 2,97/
Preshave : Glycerine Soap @ $ 0,67
Aftershave : Nivea Sensitive Balm, $ 3,11
Bowl : Local Plastic bowl (my current bowl) @ $ 0,13

But, to get to this working combination I had to go through several razors, blades and cream tubes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom