What's new

Ask your father..

My father passed away about 10 years ago now, so I can't ask him. I am hoping those of you who have fathers who were old school wet shavers and who are still alive can answer a couple of questions for me.
1. How many passes did you do for each shave?
2. How often did you change your blade?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Hi,

My Dad is gone, too, but I can answer for him. He did a one-pass shave every third day and changed the blade once a month. He used a post-war Tech, Old Spice soap and a Rubberset brush from 1948. I still have his stuff and use it a couple times a year.

IMG_20200506_121821.jpg

Stan

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Going way back to what I can remember Dad used a Gillette Slim, then an electric, then 5 blade something with shave oil from Walmart. I think he mentioned 30 days on the 5 blade something.

My dad has passed as well. My memory of him shaving is almost primarily electric. My brothers and I all learned on DE Razors and I don't recall changing the blade frequently, or doing more than one, with the grain pass.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
When my dad was still alive I asked him as I can only remember him using a Trac 2 (which I now have the handle) and an electric. He told me he can remember using an adjustable razor that he got in the 60's but before that he did not remember. My guess a SS since he graduated in 56. He only remembers using shaving cream, not a brush.

I also asked him about fountain pens, and if he liked Parker, he said they were not rich so they only used whatever was cheap.

Based on what I can remember -- my Dad only did a one pass shave. He was a no nonsense kind of guy. Shave and get it done, got better things to do than stand looking at myself in the mirror.

Regarding the length of time between blade changes -- he grew up in the depression, so he was not one to waste anything, so he would use a blade until he would come down to breakfast with bits of toilet paper on his face. Then I knew it was time for a blade change. How many days? I cant remember.

My dad passed a few years ago but my memories of his shaving involved electrics exclusively. I also always felt like he needed a shave, even after shaving. So what does that tell you? He gave me his electric that he had been using when I was old enough to need to shave. I used it for a week, if that, and quickly felt like I was wasting my time. So i bought a Bic disposable and a can of foamin' goo and never looked back. I know I've shed much more blood than he ever did but I also know that my shaves are much much closer than his ever were. No regrets.

Dad is 72 this month.
single pass
Gillette good news disposable
Probably uses a new one each week
Shaves 7 days a week
Gillette/barbasol/or Palmolive foam
Clubman or aqua Velva.

fwiw, he is using fine American blend aftershave now as well because of me.

I'm 74 and a grandfather, I have 4 sons that I taught. I always used Wilkinson Sword and lately Astra SP, with the Wilkie's it's been 3-4 shaves and the Astra's about the same.
Some guys have a mild beard and get maybe 10 or more shaves out of a blade others with heavy bears will get progressively less, depending on the coarseness of the beard

The only ones I knew to shave more than one pass were barbers. I was told never to shave against the grain or you’d get ingrown hairs.

A guy I worked with was hurting from bumps all over his neck and I told him to only shave with the grain. His bumps went away. I never would consider anything other than with the grain until 8 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding is that back in the day they only did 1 pass. They werent obsessed with BBS like we are these days.
In terms of blade milage, I think it really depends upon the blades. The old carbon steel blades like the Gillette Blues were a one and done blade but Id imagine that people back in the day would use a blade until it was dull and then use it a bit more. It seems like folks back then were a bit more frugal than we are these days.

My understanding is that back in the day they only did 1 pass. They werent obsessed with BBS like we are these days.
In terms of blade milage, I think it really depends upon the blades. The old carbon steel blades like the Gillette Blues were a one and done blade but Id imagine that people back in the day would use a blade until it was dull and then use it a bit more. It seems like folks back then were a bit more frugal than we are these days.

They were depression babies. They made do with what they had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My father used to use a Gillette Sensor with their gel/foam in the can, two passes and then would use a Philips electric to go over the face and neck again. Then he’d complain about irritation!

He definitely moved over to a Mach 3 as I remember he suggested buying one when I was a teenager. Last time I asked he was using a Fusion now and he thought I was mad using a DE. He’a a stubborn mule though!

Top Bottom