What's new

Ask your father..

My father is in his late seventies, he used a Schick injector until he became permanently bearded in his late thirties early forties. I can't imagine he did more than one pass. Before the beard, he had a moustache.

My Dad had an electric. He had DE that he used occasionally, and he always had pained look on his face when he did. He gave me an electric when I was a teenager. The electric worked with my soft fine whiskers. My whiskers are a lot tougher now and I just wanted a closer shave. My Dad never shared any other shaving gear with me.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
As a child, I use to love watching my father shave every morning. It was our "man" time together. He would use a bar of bath soap, and old brush and a three-piece Gillette with 7 o'clock blades. Always single pass only and before a shower.

As I was approaching my teens, he allowed me the "shave" with his leftover lather and razor with top plate only. That was my only shaving lessons from my father until I lost him at 14yo.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
My dad just turned 83. He started off using a Straight but went to a Gillette Tech due to the maintenance of a Straight. His father was a Barber by trade and was taught to never shave ATG. My father now uses disposable razors. He uses them until they are clogged up and hardly cut. When using a DE he normally did either a 2 pass shave WTG and XTG. Sometimes he did a 3 pass shave with 2 XTG passes from ear to nose and then nose to ear. He used a brush when I was little and used Sunlight Laundry soap to make lather. He changed blades probably monthly. When I told him that I changed my blades weekly he said to me that I should get a lot more shaves out of the blade that seven. He now uses canned foams and gels mostly. I was buying soaps and creams for him but my sisters told me to stop buying him shaving gear as he offers it to my brother in laws as he will never use what I have bought him. He still uses brushes until the bristles are almost all gone.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
My father always had a beard except for the few times he'd weld at the nuke plant and then he had to shave it for fitting of the mask.

I can remember him using some Gillette DE and an Old Spice Mug and Simpson badger. Somewhere along the line they became a Gilltte good news disposable, a Surrey Mug and boar brush and then after the brush and mug went away in favor of Barbasol foam and now he uses the three blade bic carts that don't pivot. With a beard he only shaves his neck, part of his cheeks and he keeps his mustache thin. I cannot imagine him doing more than one pass.

I have his brush. It's failing and I used it about twice a year. Don't know what ever happened to the Simpson brush or Old spice and Surrey mugs.

My father is gone too, grew up during the Great Depression.
He used a Shick injector and would do 2 passes if I recall him saying. I did ask him once about his shaving habits. He’d use a blade 5 or 6 times. Always used Williams soap. Was never wasteful either. He kept the same brush until it was literally unusable.

For years my Dad and I used bath bar soaps for shaving. It wasn't until recently that I started using shave soap. Dad had an Old Spice mug and aftershave. It was where the small bits of leftover bath soaps would go. I remember the scent. So we must have used the same brand most of the time. I asked Mom a little while back, and she told me that it was Palmolive. When I was young, Dad and I would share the mug. What I didn't know was that Mom was also using it and the brush to save her legs. That must have been why Dad stopped using Old Spice shave soap. She told me that Dad would do a one-pass shave. But some times, Mom would send him back for a cleanup pass. The aftershave was fine on my Dad, and Mom liked it. My friends and I thought Old Spice smelled like an older man.
I was chasing girls. So the old man smell was out. Carts were in by the time I was old enough to shave. So that's how Dad started me out. Mom told me that before I was born, they both used the same razor. She thinks it was a Gillette something. And that she was the one that changed the blades. Mom and Dad didn't shave every day. So the blade change was generally up to her liking. And that was every two or three months. She said that if I wanted to see them. I could tear down the bathroom wall. Most of those old blades were in the wall. She remembers scraping paint off the windows with some of those old edges. So I right away asked her if they were single-edged. She said they were DE. Then she smiled and said that she had to be careful not to get cut.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Dad used a series of funky, clunky electrics. Mostly Norelco but I saw maybe a Remington.

Mom and sis had Gillette Starburst and Slims, Spoiler blades ... And you know the 1970s medicine cabinet had the magic blade slot.

AA

My dad generally had his breakfast, and morning shave before mom would get me up in the morning. I am sure he only did a one pass. When blades wore out they 'disappeared' into the medicine cabinet slot.

No idea, as I never saw my father shave and he never discussed it with me. My mother bought me a Norelco electric when I was 15. When I tried cartridge razors and Barbasol in the late '70s, I had to learn on my own.

My dad generally had his breakfast, and morning shave before mom would get me up in the morning. I am sure he only did a one pass. When blades wore out they 'disappeared' into the medicine cabinet slot.
I forgot about the medicine cabinet slot. Years from now they will open that wall and find who knows how many rusted DE blades. I wonder if they will know what they are?

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I only remember my Dad and his sensor. He passed 11 years ago. I imagine he used a DE to learn shaving but moved to a cart by the time he hit the Navy. He would have been 67 this month. Time flies.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
My understanding is that back in the day they only did 1 pass. They werent obsessed with BBS like we are these days.

I have a Gem Jr. Bar from about 1905. It's in a set with wedge blades (I use Personna blades to shave with it) and has the original instructions.

They say to shave WTG, and if that's not good enough to lather up and do it again.

I've lately been wondering about an every-day shave, and whether that'd work out for me. Then I have one of my three-times-a-week shaves with multiple passes and a nice DFS/BBS.

I haven't gotten bored enough to try it yet.

O.H.

My father is almost 93. He did a single pass shave and changed the blade “when it needed to be changed”.

Shaving was and is a chore for him. He shifted from an electric to a fusion a few years ago, but is now shifting back to an electric for what he considers the ease of use to give a good enough shave.

He also finds the idea of a shaving ritual being enjoyable to be preposterous. I think he speaks for much of his generation, and mine for that matter, too.

Monday through Saturday was one pass with, one pass against followed by a splash of Old Spice. Sundays and special events were that plus one each direction XTG and Clubman. Camping was one with.

My father is almost 93. He did a single pass shave and changed the blade “when it needed to be changed”.

Shaving was and is a chore for him. He shifted from an electric to a fusion a few years ago, but is now shifting back to an electric for what he considers the ease of use to give a good enough shave.

He also finds the idea of a shaving ritual being enjoyable to be preposterous. I think he speaks for much of his generation, and mine for that matter, too.
Yeah, Id imagine that if our fathers and grandfathers saw the, "shave den" that many of us have and our collections of soaps, razors, brushes and stash of hundreds, if not thousands of blades; theyd tell us that we are being frivilous and wasteful and that shaving as a hobby is silly.

Yeah, Id imagine that if our fathers and grandfathers saw the, "shave den" that many of us have and our collections of soaps, razors, brushes and stash of hundreds, if not thousands of blades; theyd tell us that we are being frivilous and wasteful and that shaving as a hobby is silly.

Or they'd be happy we have the disposable income to have such a collection. Or both.

My Dad told me he hated using a DE razor and brush. He used electrics for a while then went to some variety of cartridge razor and canned goo.

Or they'd be happy we have the disposable income to have such a collection. Or both.

My Dad told me he hated using a DE razor and brush. He used electrics for a while then went to some variety of cartridge razor and canned goo.
I'd imagine mine would be the former, as would most, I believe because they lived through the Great Depression.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom